Serge Grondin | 16 May 20:29 2005
Picon

User Guide

Hi,

I'm trying to translate the User Guide from the CVS version of
"hordedoc" and I have a little problem with some term that I don't find
to translate, like "Chapter" and "Table of Contents".

Can you help me?

Thanks for the great work.

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,

So far, the Universe is winning.
                                    Rich Cook - Author

Serge Grondin
Technicien en Informatique
Commission Scolaire des Bois-Francs
Tel. bur.:   (819) 758-6453, poste 2920
e-Mail bur.: SGrondin <at> csbf.qc.ca

Eric Rostetter | 16 May 21:22 2005
Picon

Re: User Guide

Quoting Serge Grondin <SGrondin <at> csbf.qc.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to translate the User Guide from the CVS version of
> "hordedoc" and I have a little problem with some term that I don't find
> to translate, like "Chapter" and "Table of Contents".
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Thanks for the great work.

These are DocBook "generated" text.  They don't appear in the source
XML, and are not explicitly called by the author.  DocBook style sheets
generate them when they encounter the appropriate tags (e.g. <chapter>
tags for the word "Chapter" you ask about).

First step is to make sure you define the proper language for use.  Find
any references to "lang-fr" being set (assuming you want French), and
make sure they are set appropriately.  For example, in manual.xml and
userguide/userguide.xml, you will see:

<!ENTITY % lang-en "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY % lang-nl "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY % lang-fr "IGNORE">

You would want to change that to something other than "IGNORE" for the
last entry (lang-fr) to get French support.  I'm not sure right now
what you would change it to.  But obviously IGNORE isn't going to be
the right string to use. :)
(Continue reading)

Eric Rostetter | 16 May 21:45 2005
Picon

Re: User Guide

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter <at> physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Serge Grondin <SGrondin <at> csbf.qc.ca>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to translate the User Guide from the CVS version of
> > "hordedoc" and I have a little problem with some term that I don't find
> > to translate, like "Chapter" and "Table of Contents".
> >
> > Can you help me?
> >
> > Thanks for the great work.
>
> These are DocBook "generated" text.  They don't appear in the source
> XML, and are not explicitly called by the author.  DocBook style sheets
> generate them when they encounter the appropriate tags (e.g. <chapter>
> tags for the word "Chapter" you ask about).

See http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Localizations.html which may
be helpful.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!

Serge Grondin | 16 May 22:23 2005
Picon

Re: User Guide

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I search a little and I found it.

I change

<!ENTITY % lang-fr "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY % lang-fr "INCLUDE">

and all is translated.

Thanks

Eric Rostetter a écrit :

>These are DocBook "generated" text.  They don't appear in the source
>XML, and are not explicitly called by the author.  DocBook style sheets
>generate them when they encounter the appropriate tags (e.g. <chapter>
>tags for the word "Chapter" you ask about).
>
>First step is to make sure you define the proper language for use.  Find
>any references to "lang-fr" being set (assuming you want French), and
>make sure they are set appropriately.  For example, in manual.xml and
>userguide/userguide.xml, you will see:
>
><!ENTITY % lang-en "IGNORE">
><!ENTITY % lang-nl "IGNORE">
><!ENTITY % lang-fr "IGNORE">

(Continue reading)

Eric Rostetter | 17 May 16:51 2005
Picon

Re: User Guide

Quoting Serge Grondin <SGrondin <at> csbf.qc.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info, I search a little and I found it.
>
> I change
>
> <!ENTITY % lang-fr "IGNORE">
> <!ENTITY % lang-fr "INCLUDE">
>
> and all is translated.
>
> Thanks

I added something about this to the README file.  It isn't very good, but
at least it is there so we don't forget it, and new contributors can find
it.