Jefferson Davis | 5 Jan 18:57 2010

Android

We are evaluating new phones for our administrator (Principals, supt, etc) - just got an android for
testing.

No go (generic error?)  and only does contacts at this time.

Soooo...  Can anyone recommend a smartphone that syncs well w/horde?

iphone works w/synthesis client, but would rather not have to pay for the priviledge.

Thanks

--
Jefferson K Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager

sjau | 5 Jan 19:24 2010
Picon

Re: Android

Does Android not have SyncML?

Stephan

--

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/howtos.en.html
GPG Fingerprint: 812606B780884C399436F29EF4A712C49AF0AF18

On Tuesday, 5. January 2010 18.57:25 Jefferson Davis wrote:
> We are evaluating new phones for our administrator (Principals, supt, etc)
>  - just got an android for testing.
>
> No go (generic error?)  and only does contacts at this time.
>
> Soooo...  Can anyone recommend a smartphone that syncs well w/horde?
>
> iphone works w/synthesis client, but would rather not have to pay for the
>  priviledge.
>
> Thanks

Jefferson Davis | 5 Jan 23:02 2010

Re: Android

After a fashion, so I've heard, but as far as I can tell the variables are not exposed to the user...

The phone in question is a moto droid.

----- Message from sjau <at> sjau.ch ---------
> GPG Fingerprint: 812606B780884C399436F29EF4A712C49AF0AF18
>

> On Tuesday, 5. January 2010 18.57:25 Jefferson Davis wrote:
>> We are evaluating new phones for our administrator (Principals, supt, etc)
>>  - just got an android for testing.
>>
>> No go (generic error?)  and only does contacts at this time.
(Continue reading)

Jan Schneider | 5 Jan 23:21 2010

Re: Android

Zitat von sjau <sjau <at> sjau.ch>:

> On Tuesday, 5. January 2010 18.57:25 Jefferson Davis wrote:
>> We are evaluating new phones for our administrator (Principals, supt, etc)
>>  - just got an android for testing.
>>
>> No go (generic error?)  and only does contacts at this time.
>>
>> Soooo...  Can anyone recommend a smartphone that syncs well w/horde?
>>
>> iphone works w/synthesis client, but would rather not have to pay for the
>>  priviledge.
>>
> Does Android not have SyncML?

No, Jefferson was using the client from Funambol. He didn't mention,
but I see the same error, that's why I know. I also know what the
problem is, it seems to be a problem with the Android client, that's
still in alpha state.
We (actually only Michael so far) are working on an ActiveSync
implementation for Horde currently though, so iPhones, Androids, and
actually any device that supports Exchange accounts, can sync with
Horde.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/

(Continue reading)

Jefferson Davis | 6 Jan 01:20 2010

Re: Android

That's great - but what about non-exchange/non-AD backends...

...or am I missing something that should be obvious?

----- Message from jan <at> horde.org ---------
>> On Tuesday, 5. January 2010 18.57:25 Jefferson Davis wrote:
>>> We are evaluating new phones for our administrator (Principals, supt, etc)
>>> - just got an android for testing.
>>>
>>> No go (generic error?)  and only does contacts at this time.
>>>
>>> Soooo...  Can anyone recommend a smartphone that syncs well w/horde?
>>>
>>> iphone works w/synthesis client, but would rather not have to pay for the
>>> priviledge.
>>>
>> Does Android not have SyncML?
>
> No, Jefferson was using the client from Funambol. He didn't mention,
> but I see the same error, that's why I know. I also know what the
> problem is, it seems to be a problem with the Android client, that's
> still in alpha state.
> We (actually only Michael so far) are working on an ActiveSync
(Continue reading)

Jan Schneider | 6 Jan 13:04 2010

Re: Android

Please don't top-post.