Thomas Johnsson | 5 Feb 17:52 2013
Picon

Getting: Could not locate the running profile instance

I'm building a product being essentially eclipse sdk 3.7.2 plus some
extra plugins, both external and locally designed. I can start and run
the resulting eclipse ide, but:
When selecting menu Help->Install new software , I get the message :
"Cannot complete the request. This installation has not been configured
properly for Software Updates. See the Error log for details."
The eclipse error log says:
"Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area
and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this
application's config.ini file."

In the generated config.ini though, eclipse.p2.data.area and
eclipse.p2.profile are the same as in a downloaded eclipse sdk 3.7.2.

I also get another error which I think might be related:
When I click on "Installation Details" on the "About Eclipse platform"
window, I get:
" 'Fetching children of _SELF_' has encountered a problem. " , with the
following Exception stack trace:
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.ProfileElement.getQueryable(ProfileElement.java:55)
     at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.QueryProvider.getQueryDescriptor(QueryProvider.java:88)
     at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.QueriedElement.fetchChildren(QueriedElement.java:101)
     at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.RemoteQueriedElement.fetchDeferredChildren(RemoteQueriedElement.java:34)
     at
(Continue reading)

Jeff MAURY | 7 Feb 16:52 2013

Re: Getting: Could not locate the running profile instance

I had a same kind of errors when I started building my Eclipse based IDE.
I setup the following start level in my product definition:
org.eclipse.equinox.ds 2, auto start true
org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator 1, auto start true
org.eclipse.runtime 4, auto start true
org.eclipse.equinox.common 2, auto start true

I'm not sure all are needed but this is what I have in my product and it works

Regards
Jeff MAURY

[...]

    at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:235)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Obviously something is misconfigured, but I have no further clue. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
-- Thomas

Jeff MAURY

"Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury
I'm building a product being essentially eclipse sdk 3.7.2 plus some extra plugins, both external and locally designed. I can start and run the resulting eclipse ide, but:<br>
When selecting menu Help-&gt;Install new software , I get the message :<br>
"Cannot complete the request. This installation has not been configured properly for Software Updates. See the Error log for details."<br>
The eclipse error log says:<br>
"Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this application's config.ini file."<br><br>
In the generated config.ini though, eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile are the same as in a downloaded eclipse sdk 3.7.2.<br><br>
I also get another error which I think might be related:<br>
When I click on "Installation Details" on the "About Eclipse platform" window, I get:<br>
" 'Fetching children of _SELF_' has encountered a problem. " , with the following Exception stack trace:<br>
java.lang.NullPointerException<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.ProfileElement.getQueryable(ProfileElement.java:55)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.QueryProvider.getQueryDescriptor(QueryProvider.java:88)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.QueriedElement.fetchChildren(QueriedElement.java:101)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.RemoteQueriedElement.fetchDeferredChildren(RemoteQueriedElement.java:34)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:235)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)<br><br>
Obviously something is misconfigured, but I have no further clue. Please help.<br><br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
-- Thomas<br><br>

Thomas Johnsson | 7 Feb 17:32 2013
Picon

Re: Getting: Could not locate the running profile instance

I had a same kind of errors when I started building my Eclipse based IDE.
I setup the following start level in my product definition:
org.eclipse.equinox.ds 2, auto start true
org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator 1, auto start true
org.eclipse.runtime 4, auto start true
I presume you mean org.eclipse.core.runtime . (?)
org.eclipse.equinox.common 2, auto start true

I'm not sure all are needed but this is what I have in my product and it works

Yes this seems to do the trick, thanks! Haven't tested extensively yet, though so we'll see in the long run.

So the obvious follow-up question is, how did you figure out that those were the one you wanted?

Regards,
-- Thomas Johnsson

[...]

                        building my Eclipse based IDE.<br>
                      I setup the following start level in my product
                      definition:<br>
                    org.eclipse.equinox.ds 2, auto start true<br>
                  org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator 1, auto start
                  true<br>
                org.eclipse.runtime 4, auto start true<br>
    I presume you mean org.eclipse.core.runtime . (?)<br><blockquote cite="mid:CANyrOm6aZNcMHS-xrVCQ9UUJMA3+kmv8eAtj1C=LeQcvSTfPoQ@..." type="cite">
            I'm not sure all are needed but this is what I have in my
            product and it works<br>
    Yes this seems to do the trick, thanks! Haven't tested extensively
    yet, though so we'll see in the long run.<br><br>
    So the obvious follow-up question is, how did you figure out that
    those were the one you wanted?<br><br>
    Regards,<br>
    -- Thomas Johnsson<br><br><blockquote cite="mid:CANyrOm6aZNcMHS-xrVCQ9UUJMA3+kmv8eAtj1C=LeQcvSTfPoQ@..." type="cite">
          Regards<br>
        Jeff MAURY<br>
          Johnsson <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:thomas@..." target="_blank">thomas@...</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">
[...]
        -- <br>
        "Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by
        actually working and scaling.<br>
        &nbsp;- Bjarne Stroustrup<br><br><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.jeffmaury.com" target="_blank">http://www.jeffmaury.com</a><br><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com" target="_blank">http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com</a><br><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury" target="_blank">http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury</a>
tycho-user mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:tycho-user@...">tycho-user@...</a>

Jeff MAURY | 7 Feb 17:44 2013

Re: Getting: Could not locate the running profile instance

I had a same kind of errors when I started building my Eclipse based IDE.
I setup the following start level in my product definition:
org.eclipse.equinox.ds 2, auto start true
org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator 1, auto start true
org.eclipse.runtime 4, auto start true
I presume you mean org.eclipse.core.runtime . (?)
Yes sorry

org.eclipse.equinox.common 2, auto start true

I'm not sure all are needed but this is what I have in my product and it works

Yes this seems to do the trick, thanks! Haven't tested extensively yet, though so we'll see in the long run.

So the obvious follow-up question is, how did you figure out that those were the one you wanted?
It was quite a long time ago, but I think I did a google search

Jeff

[...]

    I presume you mean org.eclipse.core.runtime . (?)</div>

            I'm not sure all are needed but this is what I have in my
            product and it works<br>
    Yes this seems to do the trick, thanks! Haven't tested extensively
    yet, though so we'll see in the long run.<br><br>
    So the obvious follow-up question is, how did you figure out that
    those were the one you wanted?<br>

    Regards,<br>
    -- Thomas Johnsson<div><div class="h5">
          Regards<br>