Mark Wieder | 1 Nov 02:38 2009
Picon

Re: postgresql question

Mark-

Saturday, October 31, 2009, 6:23:35 PM, you wrote:

> Mark, this thread may help (I'm pretty sure I got details wrong in
> the last post)

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-06/msg00484.php

Hmmm. Thanks. I had previously come across this one as well.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-createuser.html

So it looks like revOpenDatabase() isn't going to work unless I can
somehow create a callback to catch the salt value, create the md5
value, and then call revOpenDatabase again.

-Mark Wieder
 mwieder@...

Mark Smith | 1 Nov 11:57 2009

Re: postgresql question

It sounds like something that should probably be handled in the revDB
library.

Best,

Mark

On 1 Nov 2009, at 01:38, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Mark-
>
> Saturday, October 31, 2009, 6:23:35 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Mark, this thread may help (I'm pretty sure I got details wrong in
>> the last post)
>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-06/msg00484.php
>
> Hmmm. Thanks. I had previously come across this one as well.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-createuser.html
>
> So it looks like revOpenDatabase() isn't going to work unless I can
> somehow create a callback to catch the salt value, create the md5
> value, and then call revOpenDatabase again.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  mwieder@...

(Continue reading)

Mark Wieder | 1 Nov 19:28 2009
Picon

Re: postgresql question

Mark-

Sunday, November 1, 2009, 2:57:59 AM, you wrote:

> It sounds like something that should probably be handled in the revDB
> library.

Update and resolution:

I sniffed the network traffic and found that the library is indeed
handling the md5 encryption properly for me. I was trying to hand the
revOpenDatabase command an encrypted password and the library was
encrypting it again. So the following works whether the server is
configured for "trust" or "md5":

put revOpenDatabase("postgresql", kServer, kDB, kUser, kPassword) into tDB

and looking at the network traffic shows that the library is
encrypting the password based on the salt value received from the
server.

-Mark Wieder
 mwieder@...