Curtis Clark | 5 Jul 19:50 2003

Re: FW: [evol-psych] The Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male Brain

Thom Quine wrote:
> What do people think?

Here goes:

> The Essential Difference:

Science has been fighting against essentialism for over two centuries,
and the battle continues.

> Baron-Cohen argues that there are three kinds of normal human brain:
> "empathising" (type E), "systemising" (type S), and "balanced" (type B,
> which
> is a meld of types E and S).

Let me guess: Baron-Cohen is Type S.

 > With a reader friendly style and using
> fascinating
> data, he states his central claim that, on average, men have a type S brain,
> while the female brain is predominantly type E. There are exceptions,

The exceptions are called "variance". "On average" has been the root of
much evil. The arithmetic mean (or any other measure of central
tendency, such as the mode, which is the only appropriate measure for
non-ordinal data such as his "types") is a statistical device, not a
moral one, and it alone tells nothing about a population.

> (what he calls the "extreme male brain").

(Continue reading)

Gunnar Swanson | 5 Jul 21:17 2003

Re: FW: [evol-psych] The Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male Brain

>> (what he calls the "extreme male brain").
> Sounds like a new series on TNN.

I was type TNN on my Myers-Briggs test. Or was that Briggs & Stratton?

(Thanks to all for letting me know that, although I usually know that I
am not understanding Spanish, that I didn't even know that I wasn't
understanding Catalan.)

Gunnar
----
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street
Ventura, California 93001-3625 USA

+1 805 667 2200
http://www.gunnarswanson.com

For all Information Design matters:
  http://InformationDesign.org

Problems? Write to:
  InfoDesign-Cafe-Admin <at> list.InformationDesign.org

Gunnar Swanson | 5 Jul 21:20 2003

sorry; essentially stupid male

Sorry. I think I referred to something from Typo-L on infodesign-cafe.
I guess Catalan is on a long list of things I don't understand.

Gunnar

For all Information Design matters:
  http://InformationDesign.org

Problems? Write to:
  InfoDesign-Cafe-Admin <at> list.InformationDesign.org

Curtis Clark | 6 Jul 00:18 2003

Re: sorry; essentially stupid male

Gunnar Swanson wrote:
> Sorry. I think I referred to something from Typo-L on infodesign-cafe. I
> guess Catalan is on a long list of things I don't understand.

We empathize, those of us who aren't synthesizing.

Mockingbird Font Works                  http://www.mockfont.com/