Skye Berghel | 20 Nov 02:56 2010

Not a host:port pair: local

I'm trying to set up a Hadoop cluster. However, when I try to start the 
JobTracker, I get the following error (which only shows up in the 
logfile on the JobTracker server):

2010-11-19 17:41:15,977 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: local
	at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:136)
	at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:123)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.getAddress(JobTracker.java:1807)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:1579)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:183)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:175)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.main(JobTracker.java:3702)

2010-11-19 17:41:15,978 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker: 
SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down JobTracker at facebook-l/134.173.43.9
************************************************************/

All of the information I've seen online suggests that this is because 
mapreduce.jobtracker.address is set to local. However, in 
conf/mapred-site.xml I have
     <property>
         <name>mapreduce.jobtracker.address</name>
         <value>myserver:8888</value>
         <description>the jobtracker server</description>
     </property>
which means that the jobtracker shouldn't be set to local in the first 
place.
(Continue reading)

Aaron Eng | 20 Nov 03:08 2010

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

Maybe try doing a "grep -R local <hadoop dir>" to see if its picking it up
from somewhere in there.  Also, maybe try specifying an actual IP instead of
myserver as a test to see if name resolution is an issue.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Skye Berghel <sberghel@...> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a Hadoop cluster. However, when I try to start the
> JobTracker, I get the following error (which only shows up in the logfile on
> the JobTracker server):
>
> 2010-11-19 17:41:15,977 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: local
>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:136)
>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:123)
>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.getAddress(JobTracker.java:1807)
>        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:1579)
>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:183)
>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:175)
>        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.main(JobTracker.java:3702)
>
> 2010-11-19 17:41:15,978 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
> SHUTDOWN_MSG:
> /************************************************************
> SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down JobTracker at facebook-l/134.173.43.9
> ************************************************************/
(Continue reading)

Skye Berghel | 20 Nov 03:18 2010

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

Specifying the IP address gave the same error.

I did a grep -R through the XML configuration files and couldn't find 
another place where anything was set to local.

--Skye

On 11/19/2010 06:08 PM, Aaron Eng wrote:
> Maybe try doing a "grep -R local<hadoop dir>" to see if its picking it up
> from somewhere in there.  Also, maybe try specifying an actual IP instead of
> myserver as a test to see if name resolution is an issue.
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Skye Berghel<sberghel@...>  wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up a Hadoop cluster. However, when I try to start the
>> JobTracker, I get the following error (which only shows up in the logfile on
>> the JobTracker server):
>>
>> 2010-11-19 17:41:15,977 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: local
>>         at
>> org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:136)
>>         at
>> org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:123)
>>         at
>> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.getAddress(JobTracker.java:1807)
>>         at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:1579)
>>         at
>> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:183)
>>         at
(Continue reading)

Hari Sreekumar | 20 Nov 06:58 2010

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

Does it work in single node mode? And what happens if you specify the
localhost as the jobtracker in in cluster mode?

hari

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Skye Berghel <sberghel@...> wrote:

> Specifying the IP address gave the same error.
>
> I did a grep -R through the XML configuration files and couldn't find
> another place where anything was set to local.
>
> --Skye
>
>
> On 11/19/2010 06:08 PM, Aaron Eng wrote:
>
>> Maybe try doing a "grep -R local<hadoop dir>" to see if its picking it up
>> from somewhere in there.  Also, maybe try specifying an actual IP instead
>> of
>> myserver as a test to see if name resolution is an issue.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Skye Berghel<sberghel@...>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  I'm trying to set up a Hadoop cluster. However, when I try to start the
>>> JobTracker, I get the following error (which only shows up in the logfile
>>> on
>>> the JobTracker server):
>>>
(Continue reading)

Harsh J | 20 Nov 07:07 2010
Picon

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Skye Berghel <sberghel@...> wrote:
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: local
> SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down JobTracker at facebook-l/134.173.43.9
>        <name>mapreduce.jobtracker.address</name>
>        <value>myserver:8888</value>
> which means that the jobtracker shouldn't be set to local in the first
> place.

"local" is the default value for mapreduce.jobtracker.address
(residing in the JAR's mapred-default.xml). It will be picked up if
there is no other configuration resource to load.

How are you starting your JobTracker by the way?

--

-- 
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Skye Berghel | 23 Nov 19:35 2010

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

On 11/19/2010 10:07 PM, Harsh J wrote:
> How are you starting your JobTracker by the way?

With bin/start-mapred.sh (from the Hadoop installation).

--Skye

Aaron Eng | 24 Nov 20:07 2010

Re: Not a host:port pair: local

Can you send the mapred-site.xml config for reference?  It could be a
formatting issue.  I've seen that problem when there was a type in the XML
after hand-editing.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Skye Berghel <sberghel@...> wrote:

> On 11/19/2010 10:07 PM, Harsh J wrote:
>
>> How are you starting your JobTracker by the way?
>>
>
> With bin/start-mapred.sh (from the Hadoop installation).
>
> --Skye
>
Allen Wittenauer | 21 Nov 20:32 2010
Picon

Re: Not a host:port pair: local


On Nov 19, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Skye Berghel wrote:
> 
> 
> All of the information I've seen online suggests that this is because mapreduce.jobtracker.address is
set to local. However, in conf/mapred-site.xml I have
>    <property>
>        <name>mapreduce.jobtracker.address</name>
>        <value>myserver:8888</value>
>        <description>the jobtracker server</description>
>    </property>
> which means that the jobtracker shouldn't be set to local in the first place.
> 
> Does anyone have any pointers?

Check to make sure your XML is completely valid.  You might have a missing / somewhere.

Gmane