Jonathan Gardner | 21 Nov 23:22 2013
Picon

Tomcat deployment erring out

Hello,

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this…

I am using Netbeans 7.3.1, Tomcat 6.0.37, Java EE 5, and Java JDK 1.7.0_45. When I create a new maven web
application project and try to run it, I get the following error:

NetBeans: Deploying on Apache Tomcat
    profile mode: false
    debug mode: true
    force redeploy: true
Starting Tomcat process...
Waiting for Tomcat...
Starting of Tomcat failed.
Deployment error: Starting of Tomcat failed.
See the server log for details.
	at org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.deployment.devmodules.api.Deployment.deploy(Deployment.java:230)
	at org.netbeans.modules.maven.j2ee.ExecutionChecker.performDeploy(ExecutionChecker.java:178)
	at org.netbeans.modules.maven.j2ee.ExecutionChecker.executionResult(ExecutionChecker.java:130)
	at org.netbeans.modules.maven.execute.MavenCommandLineExecutor.run(MavenCommandLineExecutor.java:212)
	at org.netbeans.core.execution.RunClassThread.run(RunClassThread.java:153)

Not sure what is wrong. When I navigate to localhost:8080 after executing the project, the server is back
up. Netbeans does, however, fail to shut the server down. So when I try executing the same project again, I
get this:

NetBeans: Deploying on Apache Tomcat
    profile mode: false
    debug mode: false
    force redeploy: true
(Continue reading)

Mark Eggers | 22 Nov 00:38 2013
Picon

Re: Tomcat deployment erring out

On 11/21/2013 2:22 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hopefully you guys can help me out with this…
>
> I am using Netbeans 7.3.1, Tomcat 6.0.37, Java EE 5, and Java JDK
> 1.7.0_45. When I create a new maven web application project and try
> to run it, I get the following error:
>

> NetBeans: Deploying on Apache Tomcat profile mode: false debug mode:
> true force redeploy: true Starting Tomcat process... Waiting for
> Tomcat... Starting of Tomcat failed. Deployment error: Starting of
> Tomcat failed. See the server log for details. at
> org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.deployment.devmodules.api.Deployment.deploy(Deployment.java:230)

at
org.netbeans.modules.maven.j2ee.ExecutionChecker.performDeploy(ExecutionChecker.java:178)
> at
> org.netbeans.modules.maven.j2ee.ExecutionChecker.executionResult(ExecutionChecker.java:130)

at
org.netbeans.modules.maven.execute.MavenCommandLineExecutor.run(MavenCommandLineExecutor.java:212)
> at
> org.netbeans.core.execution.RunClassThread.run(RunClassThread.java:153)
>
>  Not sure what is wrong. When I navigate to localhost:8080 after
> executing the project, the server is back up. Netbeans does, however,
(Continue reading)

Jonathan Gardner | 22 Nov 00:47 2013
Picon

Re: Tomcat deployment erring out

I've been killing the tomcat process manually. When I do that, and execute
the project again, I get the first error in my first email. I appreciate
your response a lot, but I don't see how our solves that first error.
Netbeans doesn't start tomcat correctly even when its isn't already
running...

Thanks for your response though! Still helpful!
On Nov 21, 2013 5:39 PM, "Mark Eggers" <its_toasted <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 2:22 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Hopefully you guys can help me out with this…
>>
>> I am using Netbeans 7.3.1, Tomcat 6.0.37, Java EE 5, and Java JDK
>> 1.7.0_45. When I create a new maven web application project and try
>> to run it, I get the following error:
>>

>> NetBeans: Deploying on Apache Tomcat profile mode: false debug mode:
>> true force redeploy: true Starting Tomcat process... Waiting for
>> Tomcat... Starting of Tomcat failed. Deployment error: Starting of
>> Tomcat failed. See the server log for details. at
>> org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.deployment.devmodules.api.
>> Deployment.deploy(Deployment.java:230)
>>

>>  at org.netbeans.modules.maven.j2ee.ExecutionChecker.performDeploy(
> ExecutionChecker.java:178)
(Continue reading)

Mark Eggers | 22 Nov 01:34 2013
Picon

Re: Tomcat deployment erring out [OT]

On 11/21/2013 3:47 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> I've been killing the tomcat process manually. When I do that, and execute
> the project again, I get the first error in my first email. I appreciate
> your response a lot, but I don't see how our solves that first error.
> Netbeans doesn't start tomcat correctly even when its isn't already
> running...
>
> Thanks for your response though! Still helpful!

This is really more of a NetBeans issue at this point. All I can say is
that I run this exact same setup on both Windows 7 and Linux daily
without issues.

If you're on Windows, some things to consider:

1. Permissions

Make sure your Tomcat is installed where you (as a normal user) can stop
and start it.

2. Services

Don't try to control a Tomcat Windows Service via the IDE. Instead, shut
down the service and use the installation from a zip file.

If you're on Linux, some things to consider:

1. Permissions

This most often rears its ugly head if you use a distribution-based