kumar vaibhav | 29 Jan 14:04 2012
Picon

Newbee Question : POC Idea for Hadoop Application

Hi,

I just want to know if anyone has any idea on what POC I could make using
Hadoop? I want to build something that has real world usage and not
something just to learn hadoop. So I'd like to make some sort of an analysis
tool(domain can be any - healthcare, finance, etc.) that operates on huge
amounts of data and the analysis is expensive in terms of analyst's time.
Any ideas on how can I get started?

Thanks a bunch in anticipation.
vaibhav

Ben West | 31 Jan 16:35 2012
Picon

Re: Newbee Question : POC Idea for Hadoop Application

There are lots of free, large data sets:

* http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/where_to_find_open_data_on_the.phphttp://www.quora.com/Data/Where-can-I-get-large-datasets-open-to-the-public

Just find one that interests you. There probably aren't many fields in which people didn't wish there was an
easier way to view and analyze data.

I just want to know if anyone has any idea on what POC I could make using
Hadoop? I want to build something that has real world usage and not
something just to learn hadoop. So I'd like to make some sort of an analysis
tool(domain can be any - healthcare, finance, etc.) that operates on huge
amounts of data and the analysis is expensive in terms of analyst's time.
Any ideas on how can I get started?

Thanks a bunch in anticipation.
vaibhav

richardtk_1 | 13 Feb 17:15 2012
Picon

Re: Newbee Question : POC Idea for Hadoop Application

Hello I am a newbie as well, nad I have been trying to develop a Lexical
Database using HBase, I haven't done very well, anyways I read this article
http://www.quora.com/Facebook-1/Is-Facebook-using-HBase-for-any-projects
http://www.quora.com/Facebook-1/Is-Facebook-using-HBase-for-any-projects
about facebook using using HBase for its messaging system. I would be nice
if you could share some of your knowledge, thanks in advance :working: :-D

kumar vaibhav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to know if anyone has any idea on what POC I could make using
> Hadoop? I want to build something that has real world usage and not
> something just to learn hadoop. So I'd like to make some sort of an
> analysis tool(domain can be any - healthcare, finance, etc.) that operates
> on huge amounts of data and the analysis is expensive in terms of
> analyst's time. Any ideas on how can I get started?
>
> Thanks a bunch in anticipation.
> vaibhav

Stack | 13 Feb 17:51 2012
Picon

Re: Newbee Question : POC Idea for Hadoop Application

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM, richardtk_1
<richard.tk.13@...> wrote:

> Hello I am a newbie as well, nad I have been trying to develop a Lexical
> Database using HBase, I haven't done very well, anyways I read this article
> http://www.quora.com/Facebook-1/Is-Facebook-using-HBase-for-any-projects
> http://www.quora.com/Facebook-1/Is-Facebook-using-HBase-for-any-projects
> about facebook using using HBase for its messaging system. I would be nice
> if you could share some of your knowledge, thanks in advance :working: :-D

Your question is too open ended.  Its not clear how we can help you.
On FB messaging, get your google on; the lads have talked it up a
bunch and you should find plenty of hits w/ detail on that system.
Regards a lexical project, are there enough words in your language to
justify your use of a beast like hbase?  Would mysql do?

Yours,
St.Ack

Gmane