Otis Gospodnetic | 7 May 04:41 2012
Picon

HBase HDFS disk space usage

Hello,

Does HBase know how much space it is occupying on HDFS?
I looked at these two:
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/metrics/RegionServerMetrics.html

http://hbase.apache.org/book/hbase_metrics.html

But I couldn't find any mentions of such a metric.

Is this just a matter of exposing this metric? Or...?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm

Yifeng Jiang | 7 May 13:33 2012
Picon

Re: HBase HDFS disk space usage

Hi Otis,

This command might be what you want:
hadoop fs -dus /hbase

-Yifeng

On May 7, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does HBase know how much space it is occupying on HDFS?
> I looked at these two:

http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/metrics/RegionServerMetrics.html

> http://hbase.apache.org/book/hbase_metrics.html
>

> But I couldn't find any mentions of such a metric.
>
> Is this just a matter of exposing this metric? Or...?
>
> Thanks,
> Otis
> ----
> Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm

(Continue reading)

Doug Meil | 7 May 15:37 2012

Re: HBase HDFS disk space usage

You're right, it's not currently a metric.

But there is an entry for the disk usage here...

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#trouble.namenode

On 5/6/12 10:41 PM, "Otis Gospodnetic"
<otis_gospodnetic@...> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does HBase know how much space it is occupying on HDFS?
>I looked at these two:
>http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/metri
>cs/RegionServerMetrics.html
>
>http://hbase.apache.org/book/hbase_metrics.html
>

>But I couldn't find any mentions of such a metric.
>
>Is this just a matter of exposing this metric? Or...?
>
>Thanks,
>Otis
>----
>Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase -
>http://sematext.com/spm

(Continue reading)

Bryan Beaudreault | 7 May 19:44 2012

Re: HBase HDFS disk space usage

We created our own MetricContext for reading these metrics.  Basically your
metric context gets called every X seconds based on your
hadoop-metrics.properties, so you can add whatever else you want in there.
 We also were concerned with HDFS usage, and while we couldn't get it to
pull that in specifically we did use the java File API to just get the
current used disk space for our various mounted drives.  This has worked
reasonably well, though does not mirror HDFS usage exactly.  This is
per-server though as opposed to per-table or whatever.

You can take a look at the GangliaContext for an example, in fact our
MetricContext extends GangliaContext so we can still report to ganglia but
also report to our own status system as well.  Just put it in a jar, put
the jar on the classpath, and reference it in your
hadoop-metrics.properties.