TrevorNT | 12 Apr 08:48 2011
Picon

GDB Doesn't Start

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm having a problem with NetBeans and the gdb debugger.

First, a little system information: I'm running a ThinkPad T410 with Arch Linux.  NetBeans 6.9.1, gdb 7.2.

When I use the debug option in NetBeans, a terminal window opens, I get a warning at the top saying "
&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n" "

At a guess, that's not the problem, as that has been the first line to appear whenever I try to use gdb with
NetBeans, even when gdb worked with NetBeans correctly.

Anyway, all the terminal does from there is stall out...the Run Monitor registers no activity and the
programs doesn't run.  I have to both close out of the terminal and press the stop button in the NetBeans UI to
fully stop the program.

Any help at all would really be appreciated...though I can usually make do with std::cout's and DDD (Data
Display Debugger), I would really like the built-in tool to work...

soldatov | 12 Apr 22:25 2011
Picon

GDB Doesn't Start

TrevorNT wrote:

> When I use the debug option in NetBeans, a terminal window opens, I get a warning at the top saying "
&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n" "

> At a guess, that's not the problem, as that has been the first line to appear whenever I try to use gdb with
NetBeans, even when gdb worked with NetBeans correctly.

Yes. It is a warning only.

TrevorNT wrote:

> Anyway, all the terminal does from there is stall out...the Run Monitor registers no activity and the
programs doesn't run.  I have to both close out of the terminal and press the stop button in the NetBeans UI to
fully stop the program.

Run Monitor doesn't work if program is loaded into debugger.

TrevorNT wrote:

> Any help at all would really be appreciated...though I can usually make do with std::cout's and DDD (Data
Display Debugger), I would really like the built-in tool to work...

NetBeans 6.9.1 with patches (NetBeans ignores arguments if patch is not installed) works correctly with
gdb 7.2.
Can you investigate GdbLog (http://wiki.netbeans.org/GdbLog)?

(Continue reading)

TrevorNT | 13 Apr 22:07 2011
Picon

GDB Doesn't Start

soldatov wrote:

> TrevorNT wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, all the terminal does from there is stall out...the Run Monitor registers no activity and the
programs doesn't run.  I have to both close out of the terminal and press the stop button in the NetBeans UI to
fully stop the program.

> Run Monitor doesn't work if program is loaded into debugger.

Oops, sorry, I didn't know that.

soldatov wrote:

> TrevorNT wrote:
> >
> > Any help at all would really be appreciated...though I can usually make do with std::cout's and DDD (Data
Display Debugger), I would really like the built-in tool to work...

> NetBeans 6.9.1 with patches (NetBeans ignores arguments if patch is not installed) works correctly with
gdb 7.2.
> Can you investigate GdbLog (http://wiki.netbeans.org/GdbLog)?

I just took an old project from the first week of Comp Sci II and chose to debug it.  The interesting lines in the
log look like this:

Code:
(Continue reading)

TrevorNT | 21 Apr 00:41 2011
Picon

GDB Doesn't Start

Bumping.  It's been a week and no answers...

soldatov | 21 Apr 22:17 2011
Picon

GDB Doesn't Start

Your log doesn't contain invalid lines. Can your delete "pt" variable and all wrong breakpoint and attach
full gdb log? Small comments:

TrevorNT wrote:

> &"No source file named /home/trevor/NetBeansProjects/bankaccountv2/bank2.cpp.\n"
> 159^done,bkpt={number="2",type="breakpoint",disp="keep",enabled="y",addr="<PENDING>",pending="/home/trevor/NetBeansProjects/bankaccountv2/bank2.cpp:10",times="0",original-location="/home/trevor/NetBeansProjects/bankaccountv2/bank2.cpp:10"}

You have old breakpoints in Breakpoint tab

[quote="TrevorNT"]
162^error,msg="No symbol \"pt\" in current context."
[/code]
"pt" variable is added into Watches or Variables tab

Gmane