Denis Koryavov | 3 May 11:46 2012
Picon

Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

Hello developers!

Let me introduce itself. I'm Denis Koryavov - the head of UI development department in ROSA, Russia.
We work on our distro based on KDE and created several utilities for KDE which we want to submit for
your consideration. We'll be happy if you will found them useable.

StackFolder

StackFolder is an utility that looks like some several utilities from KDE. Originally it is a fork of
plasma-applet-folderview that redesigned to look like MacOS X Stask utility (for the time being
it rewritten on QML with the parts of old code). Here is the video where you can see the features of
StackFolders (this is a old video, but topical):

-- SOURCES --

You can download source code from here:  https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64692

Or you can use git for fetching the sources:

KLook

KLook is an other utility for KDE, it written in QML. With the help of this utility, user can quickly
look at files with different  mime-types. In fact, it is practically exact copy of MacOS X
QuickLook utility).  User can use  it directly from the Dolphin file manager by pressing
a 'Space' key on keyboard.

-- FEATURES --

For now KLook supports:
- audio and video files (all that supported by Phonon);
- graphic files (png, jpg);
- text files;
- for files with different mime-types (and folders) user can see its preferences;

We created a video with the demonstration of functions of KLook. You can see it here:

This video is also old, but topical. On it you can see 70% functions of the KLook (after we created this
video we added integration with the StackFolder, possibility to listen audio files and possibility
to see any file, as minimum - its properties).

-- SOURCES --

You can download source code from here:  https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64689
A patch for KDE 4.8 that allows to use KLook directly from the Dolphin file manager is here:

Both of these utilities are included in our distro and were well tested by many users. It is time to present
them for you. We have resources to work on them and later, and if you will decide that that they are
worthy of KDE, we would be happy to work on them in KDE project.

Thanks!

--
WBR, Denis Koryavov.

Mario Fux | 3 May 12:23 2012

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

Am Donnerstag 03 Mai 2012, 11.46:27 schrieb Denis Koryavov:
> Hello developers!

Good morning Denies

Let me first thank you for brining your stuff upstream and your interest to
work together!

I took a look at the videos below and there is some ideas and questions from
my side.

> Let me introduce itself. I'm Denis Koryavov - the head of UI development
> department in ROSA, Russia. We work on our distro based on KDE and created
> several utilities for KDE which we want to submit for your consideration.
> We'll be happy if you will found them useable.
>
> StackFolder
>
> StackFolder is an utility that looks like some several utilities from KDE.
> Originally it is a fork of plasma-applet-folderview that redesigned to
> look like MacOS X Stask utility (for the time being it rewritten on QML
> with the parts of old code). Here is the video where you can see the
> features of StackFolders (this is a old video, but topical):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnH13y_FlHU

Looks really nice. You speak about the fork of plasma-applet-folderview. Were
you in contact with the Plasma people (plasma-devel <at> kde.org)?

> -- SOURCES --
>
> You can download source code from here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64692
>
> Or you can use git for fetching the sources:
>
> git clone https://abf.rosalinux.ru/uxteam/StackFolder.git
>

> KLook
>
> KLook is an other utility for KDE, it written in QML. With the help of this
> utility, user can quickly look at files with different  mime-types. In
> fact, it is practically exact copy of MacOS X QuickLook utility).  User
> can use  it directly from the Dolphin file manager by pressing a 'Space'
> key on keyboard.
>
> -- FEATURES --
>
> For now KLook supports:
> - audio and video files (all that supported by Phonon);
> - graphic files (png, jpg);
> - text files;
> - for files with different mime-types (and folders) user can see its
> preferences;

I like it. First thought was: what about pdf support but then I saw something
about this in the video. What's the status about pdfs?

> We created a video with the demonstration of functions of KLook. You can
> see it here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iADISfFTyjY
>
> This video is also old, but topical. On it you can see 70% functions of the
> KLook (after we created this video we added integration with the
> StackFolder, possibility to listen audio files and possibility to see any
> file, as minimum - its properties).
>

> -- SOURCES --
>
> You can download source code from here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64689 A patch for KDE 4.8 that allows to
> use KLook directly from the Dolphin file manager is here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64429/blob/master/kdebase-4.8.1-dolphin-
> klook.patch

If it's about Dolphin were you in contact with Peter Penz, the Dolphin
maintainer?

> GIT:
>
> git clone https://abf.rosalinux.ru/uxteam/KLook.git
>
> Both of these utilities are included in our distro and were well tested by
> many users. It is time to present them for you. We have resources to work
> on them and later, and if you will decide that that they are worthy of
> KDE, we would be happy to work on them in KDE project.
>
> Thanks!

I think (please others correct me if I'm wrong) a first step would be to get a
KDE account and import your software to the KDE git playground area.

Thanks for your work on and with KDE software
Mario

Denis Koryavov | 3 May 13:20 2012
Picon

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

Hello!

03.05.2012, в 14:23, Mario Fux написал(а):

> Looks really nice. You speak about the fork of plasma-applet-folderview. Were
> you in contact with the Plasma people (plasma-devel <at> kde.org)?

Our team new in KDE, thus we did not write any emails to kde mailing lists until now.

> I like it. First thought was: what about pdf support but then I saw something
> about this in the video. What's the status about pdfs?

It is the last feature that we still do not implemented. :) To be honest, we
just didn't have time to implement it, but we want to do it some later.

> If it's about Dolphin were you in contact with Peter Penz, the Dolphin
> maintainer?

No. As I said, I'm new in KDE, thus I do not understand fully what I should do in
my situation. So, I wrote my mail to this ML and want ask to your advice what I
should do later. It will be normal, if I will write an email to the several ML, or
I should write different emails to different mailing lists?

>> GIT:
>>
>> git clone https://abf.rosalinux.ru/uxteam/KLook.git
>>
>> Both of these utilities are included in our distro and were well tested by
>> many users. It is time to present them for you. We have resources to work
>> on them and later, and if you will decide that that they are worthy of
>> KDE, we would be happy to work on them in KDE project.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I think (please others correct me if I'm wrong) a first step would be to get a
> KDE account and import your software to the KDE git playground area.

OK. We'll do it.

--
WBR, Denis Koryavov.

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau | 3 May 12:28 2012
Picon

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

Hi Denis,

Am Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2012, 13:46:27 schrieb Denis Koryavov:
> Hello developers!
>
> Let me introduce itself. I'm Denis Koryavov - the head of UI development
> department in ROSA, Russia. We work on our distro based on KDE and created
> several utilities for KDE which we want to submit for your consideration.
> We'll be happy if you will found them useable.

[snip content="StackFolder & KLook"/]

> Both of these utilities are included in our distro and were well tested by
> many users. It is time to present them for you. We have resources to work
> on them and later, and if you will decide that that they are worthy of KDE,
> we would be happy to work on them in KDE project.

Did not yet look at the videos, but what you describe sounds interesting and
might indeed make a large group of users happy if that would be integrated and
available by default.

In case you are interested to have this integrated already in KDE Workspaces
4.9 or KDE Apps 4.9 (whereever it matches better, perhaps also could become
part of extragear section) make sure to add it to
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Feature_Plan today.

As today, May 3rd, is the day of the soft feature freeze, that is, only
features listed in the feature plan for 4.9 are allowed after this day to be
added to what will become 4.9.
See http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Release_Schedule

As for Dolphin (& Konqueror) integration of KLook make sure to ping the
maintainers of both programs directly (Peter Penz & David Faure, see the About
dialogs), to make sure they get notified. Or ideally write to the mailinglist
kfm-devel, see https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kfm-devel , they surely
read the mailing list.

For StackFolder integration please best contact directly the mailinglist
Plasma-devel, see https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel

Cheers
Friedrich

Denis Koryavov | 3 May 15:21 2012
Picon

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

Did not yet look at the videos, but what you describe sounds interesting and
might indeed make a large group of users happy if that would be integrated and
available by default.

In case you are interested to have this integrated already in KDE Workspaces
4.9 or KDE Apps 4.9 (whereever it matches better, perhaps also could become
part of extragear section) make sure to add it to
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Feature_Plan today.

As today, May 3rd, is the day of the soft feature freeze, that is, only
features listed in the feature plan for 4.9 are allowed after this day to be
added to what will become 4.9.
See http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Release_Schedule

Hello!

Thanks for the explanations! We added our features to the list here:
and here:

As far as I understood, we should to upload our code to the KDE playground?
Where we can find information about how to do this?

As for Dolphin (& Konqueror) integration of KLook make sure to ping the
maintainers of both programs directly (Peter Penz & David Faure, see the About
dialogs), to make sure they get notified. Or ideally write to the mailinglist
kfm-devel, see https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kfm-devel , they surely
read the mailing list.

For StackFolder integration please best contact directly the mailinglist
Plasma-devel, see https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel

OK! We'll do this as soon as we'll upload our code to the KDE playground.

Thanks.

--
WBR, Denis Koryavov.

todd rme | 3 May 16:46 2012
Picon

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Denis Koryavov
<denis.koryavov <at> rosalab.ru> wrote:
> KLook
>
> KLook is an other utility for KDE, it written in QML. With the help of this
> utility, user can quickly
> look at files with different  mime-types. In fact, it is practically exact
> copy of MacOS X
> QuickLook utility).  User can use  it directly from the Dolphin file manager
> by pressing
> a 'Space' key on keyboard.

In dolphin, you know the "+" button in the corner that you click to
select the file?  It would be nice if there was a button in another
corner to trigger KLook.  It would be much more convenient for people
navigating with a mouse to not have to switch over to the keyboard.
See here:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner

-Todd

Denis Koryavov | 3 May 19:55 2012
Picon

Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder