Android 8566 | 4 Apr 07:16 2012
Picon

OwnCloud vs Dropbox

Good Morning!

I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.

Regards,
S. Mark

Frank Karlitschek | 4 Apr 07:25 2012

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

Hi,

this depends on what exactly is important for you.

First it´s free software so you can see what happens with your data and your can change and improve it as you want.
ownCloud can be installed on any machine your want. So your can decide where your data is stored depending on
where your have storage, the storage price or the legal implications of the storage location.
Integration: ownCloud can be integrated with other systems for example ldap for authentication.
Features: ownCloud has more features than dropbox for example a music player for accessing your music or a
calendar and contacts application and more.

I hope this answers some of the questions.

Best Regard
Frank

On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
>
> Regards,
> S. Mark

Android 8566 | 4 Apr 07:31 2012
Picon

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more?

On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
>
> Regards,
> S. Mark

Frank Karlitschek | 4 Apr 07:36 2012

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

ownCloud is a software and not a service. We don´t have a storage limit in ownCloud.
Of course your personal or rented ownCloud server might have one.

On 04.04.2012, at 07:31, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:

> Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more?
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this depends on what exactly is important for you.
>
> First it´s free software so you can see what happens with your data and your can change and improve it as you want.
> ownCloud can be installed on any machine your want. So your can decide where your data is stored depending
on where your have storage, the storage price or the legal implications of the storage location.
> Integration: ownCloud can be integrated with other systems for example ldap for authentication.
> Features: ownCloud has more features than dropbox for example a music player for accessing your music or a
calendar and contacts application and more.

> I hope this answers some of the questions.
>

> Best Regard
> Frank
>

> On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:
>
> > Good Morning!
> >
> > I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
> >
> > Regards,
> > S. Mark

Android 8566 | 4 Apr 07:33 2012
Picon

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more? Also, is this currently available on phones? I see its not launched yet, please confirm.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank-Alxf6KzIwZ1g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi,

this depends on what exactly is important for you.

First it´s free software so you can see what happens with your data and your can change and improve it as you want.
ownCloud can be installed on any machine your want. So your can decide where your data is stored depending on where your have storage, the storage price or the legal implications of the storage location.
Integration: ownCloud can be integrated with other systems for example ldap for authentication.
Features: ownCloud has more features than dropbox for example a music player for accessing your music or a calendar and contacts application and more.

I hope this answers some of the questions.

Best Regard
Frank

On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
>
> Regards,
> S. Mark

Frank Karlitschek | 4 Apr 07:36 2012

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

The phone clients will be available in a few days. We are waiting for Apple and Google to approve them.

On 04.04.2012, at 07:33, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:

> Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more? Also, is this
currently available on phones? I see its not launched yet, please confirm.

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:
> Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more?
>

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this depends on what exactly is important for you.
>
> First it´s free software so you can see what happens with your data and your can change and improve it as you want.
> ownCloud can be installed on any machine your want. So your can decide where your data is stored depending
on where your have storage, the storage price or the legal implications of the storage location.
> Integration: ownCloud can be integrated with other systems for example ldap for authentication.
> Features: ownCloud has more features than dropbox for example a music player for accessing your music or a
calendar and contacts application and more.

> I hope this answers some of the questions.
>

> Best Regard
> Frank
>

> On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566@...> wrote:
>
> > Good Morning!
> >
> > I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
> >
> > Regards,
> > S. Mark

Android 8566 | 4 Apr 08:01 2012
Picon

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

I am unable to open the downloaded file..i get an error, please see attached image.
Is this accessible from any machine or the one on which you have it installed? also, it is possible to share the data with other users whether owncloud or non-owncloud users?

Also, I didnt get the server part?:/ What do you exactly mean by my own server or rented OwnCloud server:$ as in where does my data get stored.

Sorry for asking so many questions but I want to be clear with these thing.

On 04.04.2012, at 07:33, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more? Also, is this currently available on phones? I see its not launched yet, please confirm.
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Would you please let me know the exact storage limit either fixed or if possible to add more?
>

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank-Alxf6KzIwZ1g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this depends on what exactly is important for you.
>
> First it´s free software so you can see what happens with your data and your can change and improve it as you want.
> ownCloud can be installed on any machine your want. So your can decide where your data is stored depending on where your have storage, the storage price or the legal implications of the storage location.
> Integration: ownCloud can be integrated with other systems for example ldap for authentication.
> Features: ownCloud has more features than dropbox for example a music player for accessing your music or a calendar and contacts application and more.
>
> I hope this answers some of the questions.
>

> Best Regard
> Frank
>

> On 04.04.2012, at 07:16, Android 8566 <android8566-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Good Morning!
> >
> > I need to know how your product is better than "dropbox" as in why do I prefer yours over them.
> >
> > Regards,
> > S. Mark

Frank Karlitschek | 4 Apr 08:06 2012

Re: OwnCloud vs Dropbox

Hi,

I recommend that you ask your question in our support forum. Please post it at forum.owncloud.org because
this mailing list is mainly for developers.

Thanks a lot.

Frank