Sven Burmeister | 7 Mar 16:24 2012

4.8.1 + akoandi 1.7.0 + bogofilter results in mail loss

Hey everyone!

All emails that get piped through bogofilter and get the bogosity header are
saved without content back to the imap server.

With the webmail interface I can see that the emails arrives ok, is deleted
and replaced by the empty email with bogosity header.

The filter rules got set-up by the kmail wizard and contain "bogofilter -p -
e". Disabling it solves the issue.

Sven

Sven Burmeister | 7 Mar 16:35 2012

Re: 4.8.1 + akoandi 1.7.0 + bogofilter results in mail loss

Am Mittwoch, 7. März 2012, 16:24:07 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
> All emails that get piped through bogofilter and get the bogosity header are
> saved without content back to the imap server.
>
> With the webmail interface I can see that the emails arrives ok, is deleted
> and replaced by the empty email with bogosity header.
>
> The filter rules got set-up by the kmail wizard and contain "bogofilter -p -
> e". Disabling it solves the issue.

It's not reproducible by applying that filter manually. It only happens when
new emails arrive in the imap inbox.

Sven

Jörg Schaible | 7 Mar 16:46 2012

Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 7. März 2012, 16:24:07 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
>> All emails that get piped through bogofilter and get the bogosity header
>> are saved without content back to the imap server.
>>
>> With the webmail interface I can see that the emails arrives ok, is
>> deleted and replaced by the empty email with bogosity header.
>>
>> The filter rules got set-up by the kmail wizard and contain "bogofilter
>> -p - e". Disabling it solves the issue.
>
> It's not reproducible by applying that filter manually. It only happens
> when new emails arrive in the imap inbox.

Funny. KMail 4.7.4 did the opposite filtering mails from IMAP: Multi-part
emails were doubled in size with each scan. My KMail crashed finally because
it got memory problems handling mails with more than 300MB ... :-/

- Jörg

Andras Mantia | 9 Mar 12:45 2012
Picon

Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> All emails that get piped through bogofilter and get the bogosity header
> are saved without content back to the imap server.
>
> With the webmail interface I can see that the emails arrives ok, is
> deleted and replaced by the empty email with bogosity header.
>
> The filter rules got set-up by the kmail wizard and contain "bogofilter -p
> - e". Disabling it solves the issue.

I'm not sure that akonadi 1.7.1 has or not has the transaction isolation fix
for which Volker sent you a patch, but would be nice to know if running
akonadi with that patch reproduces the problem or not.

Andras

Sven Burmeister | 9 Mar 14:03 2012

Am Freitag, 9. März 2012, 13:45:33 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> I'm not sure that akonadi 1.7.1 has or not has the transaction isolation fix
> for which Volker sent you a patch, but would be nice to know if running
> akonadi with that patch reproduces the problem or not.

AFAICS the patch is part of 1.7.1:

http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=akonadi.git&a=commitdiff&h=0e69ae69c2d26f5fa4e343d6272df011ae1ac7dc&hp=048b6f8c8bcf08479c9c70532e56c874eeb91c41

Sven

Andras Mantia | 9 Mar 14:54 2012
Picon

Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Am Freitag, 9. März 2012, 13:45:33 schrieb Andras Mantia:
>> I'm not sure that akonadi 1.7.1 has or not has the transaction isolation
>> fix for which Volker sent you a patch, but would be nice to know if
>> running akonadi with that patch reproduces the problem or not.
>
> AFAICS the patch is part of 1.7.1:

http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=akonadi.git&a=commitdiff&h=0e69ae69c2d26f5fa4e343d6272df011ae1ac7dc&hp=048b6f8c8bcf08479c9c70532e56c874eeb91c41

I see. In that case my other guess is that the regression was introduced by
the fix for bug 291171, but to confirm this, you'd need to rebuild your
kdepim without the patch:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdepim/repository/revisions/4a2b04233995562919fa894f0cde59f29364fc39

Andras
Sven Burmeister | 10 Mar 00:10 2012

Am Freitag, 9. März 2012, 15:54:34 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> I see. In that case my other guess is that the regression was introduced by
> the fix for bug 291171, but to confirm this, you'd need to rebuild your
> kdepim without the patch:
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdepim/repository/revisions/4a2b042339
> 95562919fa894f0cde59f29364fc39

There must have been further changes since the commit is around line 452 and
the released tarball has the commit around line 424.

I'll try with only that patch reverted.

Sven

Sven Burmeister | 10 Mar 00:14 2012

Re: 4.8.1 + akoandi 1.7.0 + bogofilter results in mail loss

Am Freitag, 9. März 2012, 15:54:34 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> I see. In that case my other guess is that the regression was introduced by
> the fix for bug 291171, but to confirm this, you'd need to rebuild your
> kdepim without the patch:
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdepim/repository/revisions/4a2b042339
> 95562919fa894f0cde59f29364fc39

That's not it. Even without the patch the mails are lost.  My guess is that
it's rather in the mail filter agent. And I do wonder a bit whether other devs
cannot re-produce it or why such a regression stays without any kind of
reaction for so long although it was confirmed by multiple users with
different distros.

Sven