Georgi Kourtev | 12 Apr 08:28 2012
Picon

KMail -- Append failed

Please help:

Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.8.2, Kmail2

I have 3 POP3 accounts and 1 IMAP account using Kontact that worked fine till yesterday. After certain upgrades of akonadi I have the following message after opening Kontact:

1) For each of the POP accounts: 'Unable to store downloaded mail. Unknown error (Append failed)'

2) After awhile I have this: 'Kmail Folders: Unknown error (NO PartHelperException: Failed to update database record)

The result is a totally malfunctioning Kmail with mail message listed (no new downloaded though); when I click on a message it cannot be retrieved. I also cannot send any emails due to same reason.

Can anyone help as I have no emails (just web based ones)? Thanks,
gk

Thomas Tanghus Olsen | 12 Apr 08:52 2012
X-Face
Picon

Re: KMail -- Append failed

On Thursday 12 April 2012 09:28 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Please help:
>
> Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.8.2, Kmail2
>
> I have 3 POP3 accounts and 1 IMAP account using Kontact that worked fine
> till yesterday. After certain upgrades of akonadi I have the following
> message after opening Kontact:
>
> 1) For each of the POP accounts: 'Unable to store downloaded mail. Unknown
> error (Append failed)'
>
> 2) After awhile I have this: 'Kmail Folders: Unknown error (NO
> PartHelperException: Failed to update database record)

I would start to open KMail settings/Accounts, select your POP account, click
Modify, select the advanced tab and check if the Destination folder is
correct.

> The result is a totally malfunctioning Kmail with mail message listed (no
> new downloaded though); when I click on a message it cannot be retrieved. I
> also cannot send any emails due to same reason.
>
> Can anyone help as I have no emails (just web based ones)? Thanks,
> gk

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus Olsen

ianseeks | 12 Apr 09:33 2012

Re: KMail -- Append failed

On Thursday 12 Apr 2012 09:28:11 Georgi Kourtev wrote:

>Please help:

Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.8.2, Kmail2

I have 3 POP3 accounts and 1 IMAP account using Kontact that worked fine till yesterday. After certain upgrades of akonadi I have the following message after opening Kontact:

1) For each of the POP accounts: 'Unable to store downloaded mail. Unknown error (Append failed)'

2) After awhile I have this: 'Kmail Folders: Unknown error (NO PartHelperException: Failed to update database record)

The result is a totally malfunctioning Kmail with mail message listed (no new downloaded though); when I click on a message it cannot be retrieved. I also cannot s end any emails due to same reason.

Can anyone help as I have no emails (just web based ones)? Thanks,
gk

These "Unknown Error" messages remind me of the old "GPF" in Windows, basically a bucket to drop all errors in. Seems like proper error checking/reporting needs work.

Martin Steigerwald | 12 Apr 11:20 2012
Picon

Re: KMail -- Append failed

Hi Georgi,

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 schrieb Georgi Kourtev:
> Please help:
>
> Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.8.2, Kmail2
>
> I have 3 POP3 accounts and 1 IMAP account using Kontact that worked
> fine till yesterday. After certain upgrades of akonadi I have the
> following message after opening Kontact:

Which versions? Especially which one do you use right now?

> 1) For each of the POP accounts: 'Unable to store downloaded mail.
> Unknown error (Append failed)'
>
> 2) After awhile I have this: 'Kmail Folders: Unknown error (NO
> PartHelperException: Failed to update database record)

What does akonadictl status show?

What is in

- ~/.xsession-errors
- ~/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error (if it exists)
- ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data and there some mysql error log (I do not
now the exact name since on this machine I use PostgreSQL backend)

?

> The result is a totally malfunctioning Kmail with mail message listed
> (no new downloaded though); when I click on a message it cannot be
> retrieved. I also cannot send any emails due to same reason.

Whats the state of the Mail Dispatcher Agent and your mail agent(s) in
akonadiconsole? Does restarting them help?

Does akonadictl restart help?

(I am still using KDEPIM 4.4.5, only kaddressbook already uses Akonadi
which worked nicely the last months, only issue is that sometimes
PostgreSQL pid file is left and it doesn´t start again until I delete it)

Ciao,

Julien AUBIN | 15 Apr 11:33 2012
Picon

Re: KMail -- Append failed

Hi,

I've posted a bug report with a workaround for the issue there :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdepim/+bug/979211

Rgds,

Julien

Georgi Kourtev | 23 Apr 11:23 2012
Picon

Re: KMail -- Append failed

I tried this -- now is worst as none of my emails work. Now even calendars and reminders are dead. All this seems to work fine when checked in Akonadi Configuration.  Some additional info that might help:

KDE PIM version is 4.8.2
Akonadi restart does not help.

The output of .xsession-errors is here http://db.tt/CzRL8M98

The output of akonadi server is here http://db.tt/CzRL8M98

Thanks for your help as the machine is totally not usable now. I would really like to avoid preinstalling the whole lote as I did just upgrades sine 8.04 and it has always work...

Thanks,
gk