Werner Joss | 7 Feb 17:25 2013
Picon

kmail dead after 4.10 update

well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my kmail is dead - it just sits there with
spinning wheels on inbox + other folder.
no mail retrieve, nothing.
needless to say, no setup changes before, server (imap) is ok, I can see my mails perfectly in trojita (which
I'm using to write this to the list).
any advice ?
Werner

Chris Glasoe | 7 Feb 17:40 2013
Picon

Re: kmail dead after 4.10 update

I did an Opensuse 12.1 -> 12.2 update and KDE 4.8.5 -> 4.9.5 over the weekend.

I can't say that Kmail was dead but it was extremely slow. Having experienced many problems starting with KDE 4.4 I decided to run the system monitor to see what was happening.

Virtuoso was off the charts active. I let it run for 8 hours (overnight). The next morning, everything had calmed down and response time was somewhat back to normal. One online update to bring in required patches and another overnight run and for the most part life is good.

I don't pretend to understand Akonadi,Nepomuk, Virtuoso or their interactions. I just know from all the various posts these three in someway have a huge impact on KDE. Turning off file indexing and/or email indexing seems to help, but patience in letting them (which ever one is responsible) run their course has lead to a normal existence again.

I would also say the making sure you have all the correct versions is critical. One thing I did stumble on within Opensuse repositories was making sure that when using KDE beyon 4.8 (considered the stale release for Opensuse 12.2 in my case) that you also have the Qt 4.x.x repository available, because KDE > 4.9 needs all of the latest Qt. That maybe obvious to most but it wasn't to me and it did resolve many of the issues I was having.

It seems that Kmail, Kontact etc works when there are variations of versions, but there are always problems that can't be resolved given the lack of data posted for most of our problems. So simply making sure that you are pulling all KDE from the repository that hold the version you want to run and have the most up-to-date Qt repository helps.

On Thursday, February 07, 2013 05:25:55 PM Werner Joss wrote:

> well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my

> kmail is dead - it just sits there with spinning wheels on inbox + other

> folder. no mail retrieve, nothing.

> needless to say, no setup changes before, server (imap) is ok, I can see my

> mails perfectly in trojita (which I'm using to write this to the list). any

> advice ?

> Werner

Andras Mantia | 7 Feb 20:20 2013

Chris Glasoe wrote:

> I did an Opensuse 12.1 -> 12.2 update and KDE 4.8.5 -> 4.9.5 over the
> weekend.
>
> I can't say that Kmail was dead but it was extremely slow.  Having
> experienced many problems starting with KDE 4.4 I decided to run the
> system monitor to see what was happening.
>
> Virtuoso was off the charts active
[...]

Just a note: if you want to use Nepomuk, 4.9.5 is not enough, you must
upgrade to 4.10. In 4.9.x just turn off Nepomuk.

Andras

Chris Glasoe | 7 Feb 21:26 2013
Picon

Re: kmail dead after 4.10 update

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. When I have turned Nepomuk off address completion and searching does not work. I receive a message saying that Nepomuk must be running.

On Thursday, February 07, 2013 09:20:19 PM Andras Mantia wrote:

> Chris Glasoe wrote:

> > I did an Opensuse 12.1 -> 12.2 update and KDE 4.8.5 -> 4.9.5 over the

> > weekend.

> > I can't say that Kmail was dead but it was extremely slow. Having

> > experienced many problems starting with KDE 4.4 I decided to run the

> > system monitor to see what was happening.

> > Virtuoso was off the charts active

> [...]

> Just a note: if you want to use Nepomuk, 4.9.5 is not enough, you must

> upgrade to 4.10. In 4.9.x just turn off Nepomuk.

> Andras

Andras Mantia | 7 Feb 21:31 2013

Chris Glasoe wrote:

> Sorry, but I have to disagree here.  When I have turned Nepomuk off
> address completion and searching does not work.  I receive a message
> saying that Nepomuk must be running.

Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working
search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without
completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or
upgrade to 4.10.

Andras

Chris Glasoe | 7 Feb 21:35 2013
Picon

Re: kmail dead after 4.10 update

Thanks. I can live with out completion for a while.

On Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:31:57 PM Andras Mantia wrote:

> Chris Glasoe wrote:

> > Sorry, but I have to disagree here. When I have turned Nepomuk off

> > address completion and searching does not work. I receive a message

> > saying that Nepomuk must be running.

> Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working

> search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without

> completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or

> upgrade to 4.10.

> Andras

O. Sinclair | 8 Feb 05:10 2013

On 07/02/2013 22:31, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Chris Glasoe wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but I have to disagree here.  When I have turned Nepomuk off
>> address completion and searching does not work.  I receive a message
>> saying that Nepomuk must be running.
>
> Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working
> search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without
> completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or
> upgrade to 4.10.

Have to disagree - have been using 4.9.x since release, completely
jumped 4.8.x due to nonworking address completion. Have had very few
problems with nepomuk and 4.9.x

Andras Mantia | 8 Feb 08:52 2013

O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 07/02/2013 22:31, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Chris Glasoe wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, but I have to disagree here.  When I have turned Nepomuk off
>>> address completion and searching does not work.  I receive a message
>>> saying that Nepomuk must be running.
>>
>> Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working
>> search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without
>> completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or
>> upgrade to 4.10.
>>
> Have to disagree - have been using 4.9.x since release, completely
> jumped 4.8.x due to nonworking address completion. Have had very few
> problems with nepomuk and 4.9.x

You must be a lucky one. :) In KDE 4.9.x and before Nepomuk goes crazy from
time to time slowing down the whole KMail. In 4.10 there is a partially
rewritten Nepomuk, a pim indexer for nepomuk and there were lots of speed
optimizations.
 At least I kept Nepomuk off before that, but now it is on for quite some
time (~2 months I guess) and works ok performance wise. I don't search often
though, so I don't know how reliable it search, but completion is mostly
fine (with a slight delay, so the results don't appear instantly).
 So from my personal experience and feeback from many users, I keep my
suggestion:
- pre-4.10: Nepomuk off
- 4.10 or newer: Nepomuk on, at least try it with Nepomuk enabled

Andras

O. Sinclair | 8 Feb 12:52 2013

On 08/02/2013 09:52, Andras Mantia wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working
>>> search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without
>>> completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or
>>> upgrade to 4.10.
>>>
>> Have to disagree - have been using 4.9.x since release, completely
>> jumped 4.8.x due to nonworking address completion. Have had very few
>> problems with nepomuk and 4.9.x
>
> You must be a lucky one. :) In KDE 4.9.x and before Nepomuk goes crazy from
> time to time slowing down the whole KMail. In 4.10 there is a partially
> rewritten Nepomuk, a pim indexer for nepomuk and there were lots of speed
> optimizations.
>   At least I kept Nepomuk off before that, but now it is on for quite some
> time (~2 months I guess) and works ok performance wise. I don't search often
> though, so I don't know how reliable it search, but completion is mostly
> fine (with a slight delay, so the results don't appear instantly).
>   So from my personal experience and feeback from many users, I keep my
> suggestion:
> - pre-4.10: Nepomuk off
> - 4.10 or newer: Nepomuk on, at least try it with Nepomuk enabled

Maybe I am lucky but for me KMail without completion and working
Distribution Lists/Groups is severely disabled, that is why I skipped
all 4.8.x releases. After an initial "leave the computer on overnight
and let virtuoso eat its CPU alive" I have had very few problems.

4.10 seems exactly the same as 4.9 to me, same lags if any and so on.
Nepomukcleaner I have run 2 times but no difference I can notice.

To be noted: I use mainly pop3 accounts, have 4 of them. Only 1 Imap and
that is very inactive as it is just a test account with about 5 users.

Russ Kepler | 9 Feb 05:15 2013

On Friday, February 08, 2013 01:52:05 PM O. Sinclair wrote:

> Maybe I am lucky but for me KMail without completion and working
> Distribution Lists/Groups is severely disabled, that is why I skipped
> all 4.8.x releases. After an initial "leave the computer on overnight
> and let virtuoso eat its CPU alive" I have had very few problems.

Just upgraded myself (with some trepidation) and I have to agree, pretty much
the same.

> 4.10 seems exactly the same as 4.9 to me, same lags if any and so on.
> Nepomukcleaner I have run 2 times but no difference I can notice.

I did notice the startup time was less than before - virtuoso-t used to hog
CPU for ~10 minutes (2-3 cores full out) then 1 core for several hours (I
usually waited to restart for the late evening).  This time the first 10
minutes was the same but the rest is gone.

I didn't know about nepomukcleaner, it's running now.

> To be noted: I use mainly pop3 accounts, have 4 of them. Only 1 Imap and
> that is very inactive as it is just a test account with about 5 users.

All my mail is delivered to my domain server with only 1 pop3 account.  My
issue has always been with the handling of local mail which has been poor at
best.  I'm hoping things continue to stabilize and get better, I've come close
to dropping kmail in 4.8 with all the headaches.

O. Sinclair | 7 Feb 18:36 2013

On 07/02/2013 18:25, Werner Joss wrote:
> well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my
> kmail is dead - it just sits there with spinning wheels on inbox + other
> folder.
> no mail retrieve, nothing.
> needless to say, no setup changes before, server (imap) is ok, I can see
> my mails perfectly in trojita (which I'm using to write this to the list).
> any advice ?
No advice, just to say I did the upgrade as well but on 12.10 and have
no major issues with kmail. I have one IMAP account and around 4 pop
accounts and all seem to work well. Admittedly the IMAP is very inactive
as it is currently mainly for testing

Andras Mantia | 7 Feb 20:19 2013

Werner Joss wrote:

> well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my
> kmail is dead - it just sits there with spinning wheels on inbox + other
> folder. no mail retrieve, nothing. needless to say, no setup changes
> before, server (imap) is ok, I can see my mails perfectly in trojita
> (which I'm using to write this to the list). any advice ? Werner

I assume you logged off and back, right? Is anything using the CPU heavily?

Restart akonadi in a console (akondictl restart) and see if outputs any
errors.

Andras

Werner Joss | 7 Feb 20:56 2013

On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 20:19:30 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Werner Joss wrote:
>
>> well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my
>> kmail is dead - it just sits there with spinning wheels on inbox + other
>> folder. no mail retrieve, nothing. needless to say, no setup changes
>> before, server (imap) is ok, I can see my mails perfectly in trojita
>> (which I'm using to write this to the list). any advice ? Werner
>
> I assume you logged off and back, right?

sure, I even rebooted :)

> Is anything using the CPU heavily?

no.

> Restart akonadi in a console (akondictl restart) and see if outputs any
> errors.

did that.
lots of warnings etc. which I can't interpret.
see http://paste.kde.org/667022/

thanks for looking at this.
Werner

Andras Mantia | 7 Feb 21:35 2013

Werner Joss wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 20:19:30 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Werner Joss wrote:
>>
>>> well, I just did an update kde 4.9.5 -> 4.10, kubuntu 12.04, and now my
>>> kmail is dead - it just sits there with spinning wheels on inbox + other
>>> folder. no mail retrieve, nothing. needless to say, no setup changes
>>> before, server (imap) is ok, I can see my mails perfectly in trojita
>>> (which I'm using to write this to the list). any advice ? Werner
>>
>> I assume you logged off and back, right?
>
> sure, I even rebooted :)
>
>> Is anything using the CPU heavily?
>
> no.
>
>> Restart akonadi in a console (akondictl restart) and see if outputs any
>> errors.
>
> did that.
> lots of warnings etc. which I can't interpret.
> see http://paste.kde.org/667022/

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
Some other ideas:
- run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat the akonadictl
restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
- run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and see if there
is heavy traffic going on when you select a folder.
- turn off nepomuk and see if helps

Andras

Werner Joss | 8 Feb 15:48 2013

On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 21:35:32 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
> Some other ideas:
> - run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat the akonadictl
> restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
> - run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and see if there
> is heavy traffic going on when you select a folder.
> - turn off nepomuk and see if helps

I had already tried this:
akonadictl stop
remove offending resource (imap account) in akonadiconsole
restart akonadi
reconfigure imap account in kmail

now account seems to be active, mails are beeing retrieved (seems to, at least).
but unfortunately, my kmail does not show any folders/accounts/messages, just everything empty.
see http://picpaste.com/kmail0-MmPX6sFj.png

what could I try next ?
Werner

Werner Joss | 8 Feb 21:12 2013

On Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 15:48:19 CEST, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 21:35:32 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
>> Some other ideas:
>> - run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat
>> the akonadictl restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
>> - run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and
>> see if there is heavy traffic going on when you select a
>> folder.
>> - turn off nepomuk and see if helps
>
> I had already tried this:
> akonadictl stop
> remove offending resource (imap account) in akonadiconsole
> restart akonadi
> reconfigure imap account in kmail
>
> now account seems to be active, mails are beeing retrieved
> (seems to, at least).
> but unfortunately, my kmail does not show any
> folders/accounts/messages, just everything empty.
> see http://picpaste.com/kmail0-MmPX6sFj.png
>
> what could I try next ?
> Werner

so, well, I managed to get a step further (not much, though), but still no mail.
all in all, it turns out this 'update' (not the first time, but once again) destroyed virtually anything
related to kde_pim, except things which do not rely on nepomuk/akonadi.
which is IMHO still the root of all evil in kde, after 5 years.
please drop this crap and focuse on simple components, e.g. trojita, which works well, but of course still
lacks basic functionality like signing, encryption, and, in the first place, an addressbook.
this is my last post on this list for now, as I'm going back again to trinity, which thankfully still provides
a full kde pim suite from the 3.5.x days.
easy to configure/maintain/troubleshoot, works like a charm.
ciao
Werner

Andras Mantia | 8 Feb 22:14 2013
Picon

Re: kmail dead after 4.10 update

Hi Werner,

Werner Joss wrote:

>so, well, I managed to get a step further (not much, though), but still no
> mail. all in all, it turns out this 'update' (not the first time, but once
> again) destroyed virtually anything related to kde_pim, except things
> which do not rely on nepomuk/akonadi. which is IMHO still the root of all
> evil in kde, after 5 years. please drop this crap and focuse on simple
> components, e.g. trojita, which works well, but of course still lacks
> basic functionality like signing, encryption, and, in the first place, an
> addressbook. this is my last post on this list for now, as I'm going back
> again to trinity, which thankfully still provides a full kde pim suite
> from the 3.5.x days. easy to configure/maintain/troubleshoot, works like a
> charm. ciao Werner

 I'm sorry to read about your decision. I can understand the fustration
though, although I'm really puzzled about why it happened and what could
have go wrong.
 I hope that one day you will reconsider your move and come back here.

Andras

Werner Joss | 8 Feb 22:36 2013

On Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 22:14:38 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>  I'm sorry to read about your decision. I can understand the fustration
> though, although I'm really puzzled about why it happened and what could
> have go wrong.
>  I hope that one day you will reconsider your move and come back here.

well, Andras,
I intentionally stated 'last post for now' - which might be longer or shorter, but surely not 'forever' :)
wish you all the best.
Werner

O. Sinclair | 9 Feb 06:27 2013

On 08/02/2013 22:12, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 15:48:19 CEST, Werner Joss wrote:
>> On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 21:35:32 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>>> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
>>> Some other ideas:
>>> - run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat the
>>> akonadictl restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
>>> - run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and see if
>>> there is heavy traffic going on when you select a folder.
>>> - turn off nepomuk and see if helps
>>
>> I had already tried this:
>> akonadictl stop
>> remove offending resource (imap account) in akonadiconsole
>> restart akonadi
>> reconfigure imap account in kmail
>>
>> now account seems to be active, mails are beeing retrieved (seems to,
>> at least).
>> but unfortunately, my kmail does not show any
>> folders/accounts/messages, just everything empty.
>> see http://picpaste.com/kmail0-MmPX6sFj.png
>>
>> what could I try next ?
>> Werner
>
> so, well, I managed to get a step further (not much, though), but still
> no mail.
> all in all, it turns out this 'update' (not the first time, but once
> again) destroyed virtually anything related to kde_pim, except things
> which do not rely on nepomuk/akonadi.
> which is IMHO still the root of all evil in kde, after 5 years.
> please drop this crap and focuse on simple components, e.g. trojita,
> which works well, but of course still lacks basic functionality like
> signing, encryption, and, in the first place, an addressbook.
> this is my last post on this list for now, as I'm going back again to
> trinity, which thankfully still provides a full kde pim suite from the
> 3.5.x days.
> easy to configure/maintain/troubleshoot, works like a charm.
> ciao
Looking at your screenshot I suspect you are missing the "local folders"
resource where your accounts dump/show all mail

/Sinclair

David Jarvie | 11 Feb 13:35 2013

On Fri, February 8, 2013 8:12 pm, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 15:48:19 CEST, Werner Joss wrote:
>> On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 21:35:32 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>>> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
>>> Some other ideas:
>>> - run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat
>>> the akonadictl restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
>>> - run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and
>>> see if there is heavy traffic going on when you select a
>>> folder.
>>> - turn off nepomuk and see if helps
>>
>> I had already tried this:
>> akonadictl stop
>> remove offending resource (imap account) in akonadiconsole
>> restart akonadi
>> reconfigure imap account in kmail
>>
>> now account seems to be active, mails are beeing retrieved
>> (seems to, at least).
>> but unfortunately, my kmail does not show any
>> folders/accounts/messages, just everything empty.
>> see http://picpaste.com/kmail0-MmPX6sFj.png
>>
>> what could I try next ?
>> Werner
>
> so, well, I managed to get a step further (not much, though), but still no
> mail.
> all in all, it turns out this 'update' (not the first time, but once
> again) destroyed virtually anything related to kde_pim, except things
> which do not rely on nepomuk/akonadi.
> which is IMHO still the root of all evil in kde, after 5 years.
> please drop this crap and focuse on simple components, e.g. trojita, which
> works well, but of course still lacks basic functionality like signing,
> encryption, and, in the first place, an addressbook.
> this is my last post on this list for now, as I'm going back again to
> trinity, which thankfully still provides a full kde pim suite from the
> 3.5.x days.
> easy to configure/maintain/troubleshoot, works like a charm.

Another option would be to use Debian, which will still be using kdepim
4.4 even for its next stable release due out "soon". That way you get KDE
4 with the old kdepim.

David Jarvie.
KDE developer.
KAlarm author - http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm