Mark Allen | 4 Jan 20:32 2006
Picon

Re: Subfile loading time tips needed

haven't we passed the final exam yet?

steema@... wrote:  IOW, I would like to use the SQL unique
attribute for this file, as this
would cut down on the # of recs to read.
Can this be done w/ in the RPG ?
> HI I have a subfile that I am building in full, bec. there are some
> related factors between records. If there is for example, a BOL number,
> this same BOL could appear later on, and it is desired to have it grouped
> together, in the subfile. But this way, takes some time. There is a
> definete pause of a few seconds, for each load, for each F12, etc...
>
> Perhaps I am lacking some understanding of subfiles so as to speed this
> up?
>
> Steve

steema | 4 Jan 20:55 2006

Re: Subfile loading time tips needed

What is your problem, moron? I asked a legitimate question, if you have no
need to answer then don't. If you have a proper response, please do.

> haven't we passed the final exam yet?
>
> steema@... wrote:  IOW, I would like to use the SQL unique
> attribute for this file, as this
> would cut down on the # of recs to read.
> Can this be done w/ in the RPG ?
>> HI I have a subfile that I am building in full, bec. there are some
>> related factors between records. If there is for example, a BOL number,
>> this same BOL could appear later on, and it is desired to have it
>> grouped
>> together, in the subfile. But this way, takes some time. There is a
>> definete pause of a few seconds, for each load, for each F12, etc...
>>
>> Perhaps I am lacking some understanding of subfiles so as to speed this
>> up?
>>
>> Steve
>> --
>> This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L) mailing
>> list
>> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
>> at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.

(Continue reading)

Mohammad Tanveer | 4 Jan 21:10 2006

RE: Subfile loading time tips needed

I am not sure what you are looking for but I think this SQL can you help u

"select distinct fieldnames from yourlib/file where ?=?"

What is your problem, moron? I asked a legitimate question, if you have no
need to answer then don't. If you have a proper response, please do.

> haven't we passed the final exam yet?
>
> steema@... wrote:  IOW, I would like to use the SQL unique
> attribute for this file, as this
> would cut down on the # of recs to read.
> Can this be done w/ in the RPG ?
>> HI I have a subfile that I am building in full, bec. there are some
>> related factors between records. If there is for example, a BOL number,
>> this same BOL could appear later on, and it is desired to have it
>> grouped
>> together, in the subfile. But this way, takes some time. There is a
>> definete pause of a few seconds, for each load, for each F12, etc...
>>
>> Perhaps I am lacking some understanding of subfiles so as to speed this
>> up?

(Continue reading)

steema | 4 Jan 21:20 2006

RE: Subfile loading time tips needed

THank you Mohammed, but can this be incorporated into the RPG?

> I am not sure what you are looking for but I think this SQL can you help u
>
> "select distinct fieldnames from yourlib/file where ?=?"

Mohammad Tanveer | 4 Jan 21:47 2006

RE: Subfile loading time tips needed

Opps, sorry I didn't realize that you need to do it in RPG.  If you don't
have SQLRPG OR SQLRPGLE May be you can use OPNQRYF that's kind a old way of
doing things but I think it can work to accomplish the same thing.

THank you Mohammed, but can this be incorporated into the RPG?

> I am not sure what you are looking for but I think this SQL can you help u
>
> "select distinct fieldnames from yourlib/file where ?=?"

Jerry Adams | 4 Jan 22:02 2006

Re: Subfile loading time tips needed

I switched from page-at-a-time subfiles to load-all subfiles a couple of
years ago.  Subfiles per se are not particularly "labor intensive" (aka
slow).  It is the disk accesses that are required to retrieve the data -
whether native RPG I/O or SQL.

Depending upon your file structure and the hoops you may have to jump
through to get the "finished product," the latent time between request
and display may be understandable (if not acceptable).  What I found
puzzling, though, was that pressing F12 (which I'm guessing was to end
the current list and start a new request) also exhibited the same
latency.  Unless, of course, F12 is doing some additional processing,
such as updating/adding records to a database.

If you are having to read the entire (or a large chuck of the) table(s),
this might explain the load delay, and reading between the lines of your
problem statement, I got that impression.  I just ran a Load-All subfile
over a master file (no extraneous processing - just a lit) of > 5000
records using RPG I/O with sub-second response.  But it's a simple
(item#) keyed table.

My point is that there probably isn't much that can be done vis-a-vis
the subfile (DDS) itself.  The subfile either works (displays what you
want), or doesn't.  The response-time problem is probably in the file
access, and not much information was provided in that regard.

	* Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
	615.893.8633x152
(Continue reading)

rob | 4 Jan 22:39 2006

Re: Possible SPAM: Re: Subfile loading time tips needed

In summary it gets down to Jerry's last comment about file access.  If you
are doing an Order by or Where or some such animal you should
STRDBG PGM(*NONE) UPDPROD(*YES)
and look at the joblog and see if it recommends building an index or
logical file.  That may be your biggest performance boost.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

Jerry Adams <jerry@...>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@...
01/04/2006 04:02 PM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries <rpg400-l@...>

RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries <rpg400-l@...>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Possible SPAM:  Re: Subfile loading time tips needed
(Continue reading)

JK | 4 Jan 22:29 2006
Picon

RE: Subfile loading time tips needed

RPower | 5 Jan 13:40 2006
Picon

Re: Subfile loading time tips needed

Yeah, I found that response more to what I've seen on the Java sun pages
when I've tried to ask a legitimate question...  they don't like questions
over there, strangely though, I thought that's what the lists were for...

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
709-576-8132
rpower@...
http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

steema@...
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@...
2006/01/04 04:25 PM