Walter Bright | 30 Mar 07:40 2011

D Article Contest - win an iPad2

D Article Contest!

First Prize: iPad 2 wifi 16Gb

Write an article about the D programming language. The articles submitted will
be voted on by the participants in the digitalmars.D newsgroup. Vote tallies
determine the winners!

Article submission deadline: before June 1, 2011, GMT
Voting deadline: before June 8, 2011, GMT

Author Rules

1. Article is submitted under the Creative Commons License
2. Digital Mars may submit the article on your behalf to publishers like DDJ and
Artima.com
3. You will receive any proceeds from those submissions in addition to any prize
money
4. Digital Mars may post the submitted articles on the
d_programming_language.org web site
5. You may post article drafts at any time, collect feedback, and revise up
until the submission deadline
6. Article must be about the D programming language
7. You may submit as many articles as you wish
8. Anyone may enter
9. Final submissions are to be posted to the digitalmars.D newsgroup with
[Submission] in the Subject line

Voting Rules

(Continue reading)

Emil Madsen | 30 Mar 08:24 2011
Picon

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

[...]

1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup prior to this announcement
2. One vote per handle
3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup

Winner Rules

1. Ties split the cash equivalent
2. Optional cash equivalent
3. Winner is responsible for any taxes on prize

Lets hope its not a tie, such a shame to split an iPad ;)

--
// Yours sincerely
// Emil 'Skeen' Madsen

On 2011-03-29 22:40, Walter Bright wrote:
> D Article Contest!
>
> First Prize: iPad 2 wifi 16Gb
>
> Write an article about the D programming language. The articles submitted
> will be voted on by the participants in the digitalmars.D newsgroup. Vote
> tallies determine the winners!
>
> Article submission deadline: before June 1, 2011, GMT
> Voting deadline: before June 8, 2011, GMT
>

> Author Rules
>
> 1. Article is submitted under the Creative Commons License
> 2. Digital Mars may submit the article on your behalf to publishers like
> DDJ and Artima.com
> 3. You will receive any proceeds from those submissions in addition to any
> prize money
> 4. Digital Mars may post the submitted articles on the
> d_programming_language.org web site
> 5. You may post article drafts at any time, collect feedback, and revise up
> until the submission deadline
> 6. Article must be about the D programming language
> 7. You may submit as many articles as you wish
> 8. Anyone may enter
> 9. Final submissions are to be posted to the digitalmars.D newsgroup with
> [Submission] in the Subject line
>

> Voting Rules
>
> 1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
> prior to this announcement
> 2. One vote per handle
> 3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>

> Winner Rules
>
> 1. Ties split the cash equivalent
> 2. Optional cash equivalent
> 3. Winner is responsible for any taxes on prize

And what do you mean by an article on the D Programming Language? A general
article on the language itself? An article related to D?

I recently started writing an article on ranges in D, since there have been
requests for a good article/tutorial on ranges. Would that qualify? Or are you
looking for something else?

- Jonathan M Davis

Walter Bright | 30 Mar 09:22 2011

On 3/29/2011 10:40 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Author Rules

I should add that it should not be a previously posted/published article.

simendsjo | 30 Mar 13:55 2011

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

Very nice initiative. D needs more articles and publicity.

Hopefully many people will write articles even if they are know they
are not able to compete for the grand prize - an article written by me
cannot compete with Andrei or Bartosz :)

> 2. Digital Mars may submit the article on your behalf to publishers
like DDJ and Artima.com

Where would the articles that's not quite up to that quality standard
go? codeproject.com? digitalmars.com? d-programming-language.org?

Walter Bright | 30 Mar 20:12 2011

On 3/30/2011 4:55 AM, simendsjo wrote:
> Very nice initiative. D needs more articles and publicity.
>
> Hopefully many people will write articles even if they are know they
> are not able to compete for the grand prize - an article written by me
> cannot compete with Andrei or Bartosz :)
>> 2. Digital Mars may submit the article on your behalf to publishers
> like DDJ and Artima.com
>
> Where would the articles that's not quite up to that quality standard
> go? codeproject.com? digitalmars.com? d-programming-language.org?

Suggestions for where particular articles should go would be welcome.

Andrei Alexandrescu | 30 Mar 16:51 2011

On 03/30/2011 12:40 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> D Article Contest!
[snip]

Posted to reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/gepwf/ipad2_contest_write_an_article_on_d_by_june_1st/

Andrei

"Jérôme M. Berger" | 30 Mar 20:00 2011

Walter Bright wrote:
> Author Rules
>
> 1. Article is submitted under the Creative Commons License
	Which one?

		Jerome

mailto:jeberger <at> free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger <at> jabber.fr

Robert Clipsham | 4 Apr 22:47 2011

[First draft] Getting more fiber in your diet Was: Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

On 30/03/2011 06:40, Walter Bright wrote:
> D Article Contest!
>
> First Prize: iPad 2 wifi 16Gb
>
> Write an article about the D programming language. The articles
> submitted will be voted on by the participants in the digitalmars.D
> newsgroup. Vote tallies determine the winners!
>
> Article submission deadline: before June 1, 2011, GMT
> Voting deadline: before June 8, 2011, GMT
>

> Author Rules
>
> 1. Article is submitted under the Creative Commons License
> 2. Digital Mars may submit the article on your behalf to publishers like
> DDJ and Artima.com
> 3. You will receive any proceeds from those submissions in addition to
> any prize money
> 4. Digital Mars may post the submitted articles on the
> d_programming_language.org web site
> 5. You may post article drafts at any time, collect feedback, and revise
> up until the submission deadline
> 6. Article must be about the D programming language
> 7. You may submit as many articles as you wish
> 8. Anyone may enter
> 9. Final submissions are to be posted to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
> with [Submission] in the Subject line
>

> Voting Rules
>
> 1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
> prior to this announcement
> 2. One vote per handle
> 3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>

> Winner Rules
>
> 1. Ties split the cash equivalent
> 2. Optional cash equivalent
> 3. Winner is responsible for any taxes on prize

This is the first draft of my (first?) article, a little number on using
fibers in D.

http://octarineparrot.com/article/view/getting-more-fiber-in-your-diet

It is just a first draft, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/

bearophile | 5 Apr 11:35 2011
Picon

Re: [First draft] Getting more fiber in your diet Was: Re: D Article

Robert Clipsham :

> It is just a first draft, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.

I suggest to add values to the x scale too of the graphs.

Bye,
bearophile

Robert Clipsham | 5 Apr 16:22 2011

On 05/04/2011 10:35, bearophile wrote:
> Robert Clipsham :
>
>> It is just a first draft, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.
>
> I suggest to add values to the x scale too of the graphs.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

I wanted to do this, for some reason I can't find an option in Google
Spreadsheets to do it. I'd happily change the graph to show them if I
could find out how.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/

Steven Schveighoffer | 5 Apr 16:42 2011
Picon

Re: [First draft] Getting more fiber in your diet Was: Re: D Article

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:22:56 -0400, Robert Clipsham
<robert <at> octarineparrot.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/2011 10:35, bearophile wrote:
>> Robert Clipsham :
>>
>>> It is just a first draft, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.
>>
>> I suggest to add values to the x scale too of the graphs.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> I wanted to do this, for some reason I can't find an option in Google
> Spreadsheets to do it. I'd happily change the graph to show them if I
> could find out how.

I'd say it's worth hand-adding it using an image editor if you can't
figure it out.  The graph absolutely needs the x axis to be worth
anything.  Sorry, no idea how to do it in google spreadsheets.  You may
want to try open office.

Another note, you should change noPeople and noNutrients to numPeople and
numNutrients, because noPeople looks like "no people".

-Steve

Robert Clipsham | 5 Apr 18:46 2011

On 05/04/2011 15:42, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I wanted to do this, for some reason I can't find an option in Google
>> Spreadsheets to do it. I'd happily change the graph to show them if I
>> could find out how.
>
> I'd say it's worth hand-adding it using an image editor if you can't
> figure it out. The graph absolutely needs the x axis to be worth
> anything. Sorry, no idea how to do it in google spreadsheets. You may
> want to try open office.

Hacked in a couple of numbers with an image editor, hopefully they all
line up, I wouldn't count on it though.

> Another note, you should change noPeople and noNutrients to numPeople
> and numNutrients, because noPeople looks like "no people".

Done. Thanks!

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/

Walter Bright | 8 Apr 02:53 2011

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

A couple of people have posted drafts of articles for this contest to the n.g.

I think that's great!

But since this is a contest, I hope everyone will understand that I think it
would be inappropriate of me to comment on the content of them until the contest
is over.

Except keep the articles coming!

Caligo | 8 Apr 04:39 2011
Picon

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

In the rules there is no mention that the article should try to
promote the D programming language rather than, say, criticize it
because of its current state.  One could write an article that
portrays D negatively and receive majority of the votes.  Would the
author of that article still receive the prize?

simendsjo | 8 Apr 09:05 2011

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

I don't see why is it inappropriate of you to comment on them.
Shouldn't the winner be picked by the most votes?
In that case, you have a vote like everyone else, and should also be
allowed to comment.

Walter Bright | 8 Apr 12:07 2011

On 4/8/2011 12:05 AM, simendsjo wrote:
> I don't see why is it inappropriate of you to comment on them.
> Shouldn't the winner be picked by the most votes?
> In that case, you have a vote like everyone else, and should also be
> allowed to comment.

While technically you are correct, I still think it is unseemly for me to appear
to try and influence the vote.

Robert Clipsham | 8 Apr 17:35 2011

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

On 30/03/2011 06:40, Walter Bright wrote:
> D Article Contest!
 >
> Voting Rules
>
> 1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
> prior to this announcement
> 2. One vote per handle
> 3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup

Question: Are votes per-article or per-author? If it's per-article it
could lead to a situation where an author has the most votes but someone
else's article has the most votes, per-author this isn't a problem. Of
course if it's per author, it could lead to an author monopolizing the
contest...

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/

Andrei Alexandrescu | 8 Apr 17:41 2011

On 4/8/11 10:35 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 06:40, Walter Bright wrote:
>> D Article Contest!
>  >
>> Voting Rules
>>
>> 1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>> prior to this announcement
>> 2. One vote per handle
>> 3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>
> Question: Are votes per-article or per-author? If it's per-article it
> could lead to a situation where an author has the most votes but someone
> else's article has the most votes, per-author this isn't a problem. Of
> course if it's per author, it could lead to an author monopolizing the
> contest...
>
> --
> Robert
> http://octarineparrot.com/

If you're an author prolific enough to produce two or more quality
articles within the time frame, I'd say you deserve to accumulate the
votes. This is not a supermarket sale with "one per family please". The
more articles, the better for everybody. Of course Walter decides.

Andrei

Walter Bright | 8 Apr 19:04 2011

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

> On 4/8/11 10:35 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> On 30/03/2011 06:40, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> D Article Contest!
>> >
>>> Voting Rules
>>>
>>> 1. You must have used your handle to post to the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>>> prior to this announcement
>>> 2. One vote per handle
>>> 3. Voting will be done on the digitalmars.D newsgroup
>>
>> Question: Are votes per-article or per-author? If it's per-article it
>> could lead to a situation where an author has the most votes but someone
>> else's article has the most votes, per-author this isn't a problem. Of
>> course if it's per author, it could lead to an author monopolizing the
>> contest...
>>
>> --
>> Robert
>> http://octarineparrot.com/
>
> If you're an author prolific enough to produce two or more quality articles
> within the time frame, I'd say you deserve to accumulate the votes. This is not
> a supermarket sale with "one per family please". The more articles, the better
> for everybody. Of course Walter decides.

As it's an article contest, the votes would be for articles.

While Andrei's thoughts are sensible, I don't want to try and change things
midstream.

Picon

Re: D Article Contest - win an iPad2

Very Interesting!