Davita | 1 Apr 12:12 2012
Picon

Re: D for a Qt developer

On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 07:53:37 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 4/1/12, dsimcha <dsimcha <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I think QtD is now usable since the relevant compiler bugs
>> were ironed out.
>
> I doubt that it even compiles. The last update was almost a
> year ago,
> and I've had access violations with D2 back then.

Well, that's what i'm talking about. D is such a wonderful
language that it should scream on different forums and sites such
as stackoverflow or codeproject, but instead it's very quite,
passive. And I think this is due to the lack of quality
development tools. :(
None of the companies or organizations I know would never start
development on DWT or QtD. Shouldn't D team address those issues?
I mean, only enthusiasmic community can't do much here. I think a
sponsor or some commercial interest is a must, or as I already
mentioned above, to work with Nokia guys and bring D with
QtCreator. Or maybe to work with MS and integrate D in VS and
WinRT api. If one big organization starts using D, then more and
more people will have trust in D and start using it. Otherwise I
don't think the future of D will be as bright as it should :(

Gour | 1 Apr 12:42 2012
Picon

Re: D for a Qt developer

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:12:43 +0200
"Davita" <dato1100 <at> hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that's what i'm talking about. D is such a wonderful
> language that it should scream on different forums and sites such
> as stackoverflow or codeproject, but instead it's very quite,
> passive. And I think this is due to the lack of quality
> development tools. :(

Well, Andrej is heavily working on new wxD...that's definitely something
for C++, although not necessarily, Qt developer. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

There is no work that affects Me; nor do I aspire for the
fruits of action. One who understands this truth about Me also
does not become entangled in the fruitive reactions of work.

Mike Parker | 1 Apr 16:09 2012
Picon

Re: D for a Qt developer

On 4/1/2012 7:12 PM, Davita wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 07:53:37 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> On 4/1/12, dsimcha <dsimcha <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I think QtD is now usable since the relevant compiler bugs were
>>> ironed out.
>>
>> I doubt that it even compiles. The last update was almost a year ago,
>> and I've had access violations with D2 back then.
>
> Well, that's what i'm talking about. D is such a wonderful language that
> it should scream on different forums and sites such as stackoverflow or
> codeproject, but instead it's very quite, passive. And I think this is
> due to the lack of quality development tools. :(
> None of the companies or organizations I know would never start
> development on DWT or QtD. Shouldn't D team address those issues? I
> mean, only enthusiasmic community can't do much here. I think a sponsor
> or some commercial interest is a must, or as I already mentioned above,
> to work with Nokia guys and bring D with QtCreator. Or maybe to work
> with MS and integrate D in VS and WinRT api. If one big organization
> starts using D, then more and more people will have trust in D and start
> using it. Otherwise I don't think the future of D will be as bright as
> it should :(

The core D "team" already have enough on their plates in developing the
DMD compiler, DRuntime, and Phobos. There's just not enough manpower
there to go off on tangents, however beneficial they may be. It's a
matter of priorities. For the time being, that sort of thing has to be
community-driven. The situation now is a far sight better than it used
to be.

(Continue reading)

James Miller | 2 Apr 01:00 2012
Picon

Re: D for a Qt developer

On 1 April 2012 22:12, Davita <dato1100 <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well, that's what i'm talking about. D is such a wonderful language that it
> should scream on different forums and sites such as stackoverflow or
> codeproject, but instead it's very quite, passive. And I think this is due
> to the lack of quality development tools. :(
> None of the companies or organizations I know would never start development
> on DWT or QtD. Shouldn't D team address those issues? I mean, only
> enthusiasmic community can't do much here. I think a sponsor or some
> commercial interest is a must, or as I already mentioned above, to work with
> Nokia guys and bring D with QtCreator. Or maybe to work with MS and
> integrate D in VS and WinRT api. If one big organization starts using D,
> then more and more people will have trust in D and start using it. Otherwise
> I don't think the future of D will be as bright as it should :(

Please don't assume that all people using D want big IDEs and
toolchains, I'm perfectly happy with Vim + dmd, and I know several
people that work in similar ways (substitute Vim with another editor,
dmd with gdc, ldc2 or sdc).

As for the "D Team", there isn't really one. There's Walter, the
creator of the language and dmd, Andrei, a signficant contributor to
several key language features. There are several people that have
contributed heavily, Jonathon Davis,  Brad Roberts, David Simcha wrote
the Garbage collector, Steven Schveighoffer does a lot, and other that
I can't remember right now. But all of these people have day jobs.
Walter does... whatever he does, Andrei works for Facebook. So its not
like there's a dedicated team of people working hardcore on this, so
they focus on what is worth focusing on, like compiler bugs and broken
features (like AA's that H.S. Teoh is writing a replacement for).

(Continue reading)

Jesse Phillips | 3 Apr 02:10 2012
Picon

Re: D for a Qt developer

On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 10:12:45 UTC, Davita wrote:

>  Or maybe to work with MS and integrate D in VS and WinRT api.

Or an MS employee can try it on their own:

http://www.reddit.com/tb/ow7qc

Nick Sabalausky | 3 Apr 08:07 2012

COM in D (Was: D for a Qt developer)

"Jesse Phillips" <Jessekphillips+D <at> gmail.com> wrote in message
news:wazenwszxxaipyabwovo <at> forum.dlang.org...
> On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 10:12:45 UTC, Davita wrote:
>
>>  Or maybe to work with MS and integrate D in VS and WinRT api.
>
> Or an MS employee can try it on their own:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/tb/ow7qc

Whoa, that's fucking awesome! I've always shied away from COM for anything
other than the boilerplate to init DirectX, but that's just...wow!

That should be in Phobos!

Jesse Phillips | 3 Apr 16:09 2012
Picon

Re: COM in D (Was: D for a Qt developer)

On Tuesday, 3 April 2012 at 06:05:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Whoa, that's fucking awesome! I've always shied away from COM
> for anything
> other than the boilerplate to init DirectX, but that's
> just...wow!
>
> That should be in Phobos!

Most of his code isn't available as it was kind of under
Microsoft. However I revived Juno for D2 awhile ago (still need
to play with it myself). Juno provides some nice tools and API, I
don't think the licensing allows for Boost though.

https://github.com/JesseKPhillips/Juno-Windows-Class-Library

http://dsource.org/projects/juno

Paulo Pinto | 4 Apr 13:08 2012

Re: COM in D (Was: D for a Qt developer)

Well, since Windows 2000 the amount of COM only APIs have been increasing,
so most languages have to have some kind of COM bindings.

I really find nice that D offers such integration with COM.

--
Paulo

"Nick Sabalausky"  wrote in message news:jle3ug$2o70$1 <at> digitalmars.com...

"Jesse Phillips" <Jessekphillips+D <at> gmail.com> wrote in message
news:wazenwszxxaipyabwovo <at> forum.dlang.org...
> On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 10:12:45 UTC, Davita wrote:
>
>>  Or maybe to work with MS and integrate D in VS and WinRT api.
>
> Or an MS employee can try it on their own:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/tb/ow7qc

Whoa, that's fucking awesome! I've always shied away from COM for anything
other than the boilerplate to init DirectX, but that's just...wow!

That should be in Phobos!

Gmane