Gustavo Niemeyer | 23 May 19:45 2011
Picon

Updated Ubuntu packages

The gophers PPA has been updated with Go packages for the following
Ubuntu releases:

    * Ubuntu Natty (11.04) on 386, amd64, and arm
    * Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) on 386, amd64, and arm

The following packages are now available:

    * golang (57.1)
    * golang-weekly (2011-05-22)

Changes since the latest announcement:

    * golang-weekly was updated to 2011-05-22
    * misc/ and doc/ location was fixed.
    * gorun was updated to write its cache onto $TMPDIR (/tmp, if unset)

Instructions to install the packages:

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gophers/go
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install golang (or golang-weekly)

Documentation on stable release:

    http://golang.org

Unofficial godoc instances for weekly and tip releases:

    http://weekly.goneat.org
(Continue reading)

Steve | 27 May 22:13 2011
Picon

Re: Updated Ubuntu packages

I would like to suggest that some mention should be made of the
existence of this PPA on the golang.org Getting Started page.
It's a lot easier than installng hg and downloading/compiling the
whole thing.

On May 23, 6:45 pm, Gustavo Niemeyer <gust...@...> wrote:
> The gophers PPA has been updated with Go packages for the following
> Ubuntu releases:
>
>     * Ubuntu Natty (11.04) on 386, amd64, and arm
>     * Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) on 386, amd64, and arm
>
> The following packages are now available:
>
>     * golang (57.1)
>     * golang-weekly (2011-05-22)
>
> Changes since the latest announcement:
>
>     * golang-weekly was updated to 2011-05-22
>     * misc/ and doc/ location was fixed.
>     * gorun was updated to write its cache onto $TMPDIR (/tmp, if unset)
>
> Instructions to install the packages:
>
>     sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gophers/go
>     sudo apt-get update
>     sudo apt-get install golang (or golang-weekly)
>
> Documentation on stable release:
(Continue reading)

Andrew Gerrand | 29 May 11:53 2011

Re: Re: Updated Ubuntu packages

On 28 May 2011 06:13, Steve <steve.horsley@...> wrote:
> I would like to suggest that some mention should be made of the
> existence of this PPA on the golang.org Getting Started page.
> It's a lot easier than installng hg and downloading/compiling the
> whole thing.

They're not supported by the Go Project, in that we don't fully
understand them and thus can't support them (yet). That's not to say
that Gustavo isn't doing a great job and that these things aren't very
useful.

There's some churn in the build system going on right now. Once that
dies down we can look at giving these packages an official blessing.
Ideally we'd like to get to the stage where the debian/ubuntu packages
can be built with nearly zero modifications to the packaged source.

Andrew

Gmane