Joachim Baumann | 16 Oct 22:01 2011
Picon

[groovy-dev] Windows-Installer for 1.8.3 - Versions of Modules, Problem with Groovy++

Hi,

here is the list of version for the different modules. I wanted to release the installer tonight, but there is a slight problem.

The following code I use as a smoke test for Groovy++ fails:

<at> Typed package mypackage

return ["Hello, ", "World!"].inject("") { String str, String item ->
      str + item.toLowerCase ()
}

with the following problem:

 testGroovyPP(TestInstallation)org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
Script1.groovy: 4: A transform used a generics containing ClassNode groovy.lang.Closure <V extends java.lang.Object -> java.lang.Object> for the super class mypackage.Script1$run$1 directly. You are not suppposed to do this. Please create a new ClassNode refering to the old ClassNode and use the new ClassNode instead of the old one. Otherwise the compiler will create wrong descriptors and a potential NullPointerException in TypeResolver in the OpenJDK. If this is not your own doing, please report this bug to the writer of the transform.
  <at> line 4, column 44.
   ello, ", "World!"].inject("") { String s

                                 ^
The code worked without problems with 1.8.2, so I assume using the annotation on the package is acceptable. And if put the code in a class that I annotate the same happens.

<at> Alex, <at> Roshan: Do you have an idea, or better yet, a solution?

Cheers, Joachim

Installed Versions
==================
This file contains the versions (or dates) of all the components installed by the
Windows Installer.

Groovy
------
Binary Version: 1.8.3
Doc Version:    1.8.3

Native Launcher (all in bin)
----------------------------
The native launcher is compiled with Cygwin support. In Supplemental you find a directory
"NativeLauncherWithoutCygwinSupport" that contains versions of the native launcher
compiled without the Cygwin support. If you have any problems with the native launcher
please try these versions. Also in this directory you'll find the 32- and 64-bit versions
of the launcher in case you need to exchange the installed versions.

bin:
    gant.exe
    gantw.exe
    groovy.exe
    groovyc.exe
    groovyConsole.exe
    groovysh.exe
    groovyw.exe
    java2groovy.exe

32-/64-Bit Version of Java
--------------------------
The installer tries to find out whether a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Java is installed.
If the installer cannot determine this a 32-bit installation is assumed. Depending on the
Java version the 32- or 64-bit version of the native launcher is installed. If you change
the Java installation later, simply copy the respective version of the native launcher to
the bin directory. The mapping is as follows:

groovy.exe  - groovy.exe, groovyc.exe, groovysh.exe, java2groovy.exe
groovyw.exe - groovyw.exe, groovyConsole.exe
gant.exe    - gant.exe
gantw.exe   - gantw.exe

In rare cases the necessary Microsoft C runtime libraries are not installed on the target
computer. As a result the executables won't run. In this case please install the
libraries after downloading from the correct of following Links:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120133   "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package"
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120135   "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)"

Modules
=======

easyb
-----
lib:
    easyb-0.9.8.jar

Gaelyk
------
Supplementary/Gaelyk:
    gaelyk-template-project-1.0.zip

Gant 1.9.6
----------
bin:
    gant
    gant.bat
conf:
    gant-starter.conf
lib:
    gant-1.9.6_groovy-1.8.1.jar
Supplementary/Gant:
    gant-1.9.6_groovy-1.8.1-groovydoc.jar
    gant-1.9.6_groovy-1.8.1-javadoc.jar
    gant-1.9.6_groovy-1.8.1-sources.jar

GMock
-----
lib:
    gmock-0.8.1.jar

GPars
-----
GPars is now part of the standard installation. In this installer, the GPARS version
bundled with Groovy 1.8.1 (GPars 0.11) has been replaced by 0.12 (see above). The
following libraries with optional functionality have been added to the distribution.

lib:
    jcsp-1.1-rc5.jar
    multiverse-beta-0.7-RC-1.jar
    netty-3.1.5.GA.jar

Groovy++
--------
lib:
    groovypp-0.9.0_1.8.2.jar

Griffon Builders
----------------
lib:
    balloontip-20090102.jar
    batik-anim-1.7.jar
    batik-awt-util-1.7.jar
    batik-bridge-1.7.jar
    batik-codec-1.7.jar
    batik-css-1.7.jar
    batik-dom-1.7.jar
    batik-ext-1.7.jar
    batik-extension-1.7.jar
    batik-gui-util-1.7.jar
    batik-gvt-1.7.jar
    batik-parser-1.7.jar
    batik-script-1.7.jar
    batik-svg-dom-1.7.jar
    batik-svggen-1.7.jar
    batik-swing-1.7.jar
    batik-transcoder-1.7.jar
    batik-util-1.7.jar
    batik-xml-1.7.jar
    cssbuilder-0.5.jar
    cssparser-0.9.5.jar
    flamingo-4.1.jar
    flamingobuilder-0.4.jar
    forms-1.2.1.jar
    gfxbuilder-core-0.5.jar
    gfxbuilder-svg-0.5.jar
    gfxbuilder-swingx-0.5.jar
    jide-oss-2.9.1.jar
    jidebuilder-4.0.jar
    jsilhouette-geom-0.4.jar
    l2fprod-common-all-6.9.1.jar
    macwidgets-0.9.4.jar
    macwidgetsbuilder-0.4.1.jar
    multiplegradientpaint-1.0.jar
    sac-1.3.jar
    swing-worker-1.1.jar
    swingx-beaninfo-1.6.2-2.jar
    swingx-core-1.6.2-2.jar
    swingxbuilder-0.1.8.1.jar
    swingxtrasbuilder-0.3.jar
    timingframework-1.0.jar
    trident-6.2.jar
    tridentbuilder-0.5.jar
    xml-apis-ext-1.3.04.jar
    xswingx-0.2.jar

GroovyServ 0.9
---------------
bin:
    groovyclient.exe
    groovyserver.bat
    groovyserver
lib:
    groovyserv-0.9.jar
    jna-3.2.2.jar
supplementary/GroovyServ:
    LICENSE.txt, README.txt, NOTICE.txt, scripts
supplementary/GroovyServ/32bit:
    32bit-version of Groovyserv
supplementary/GroovyServ/64bit:
    64bit-version of Groovyserv

Scriptom-1.6.0
--------------
bin:
    msvcr80.dll
    jacob-1.14.3-x64.dll
    jacob-1.14.3-x86.dll
lib:
    jacob-1.14.3.jar
    scriptom-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-ie-6-tlb-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-office-2K3-tlb-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-sapi-tlb-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-scripting-tlb-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-wbem-tlb-1.6.0.jar
    scriptom-wsh-tlb-1.6.0.jar
supplementary/Scriptom:
    examples...

Additionally you find the directory scriptom in Supplementary. This directory contains
the examples. If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows and Java, you might need to
install the respective runtime libraries.

This version of scriptom needs Java 1.5.

Spock
-----
lib:
    spock-core-0.6-groovy-1.8-SNAPSHOT.jar
Supplementary/Spock:
    spock-example-0.5-groovy-1.7.zip (examples might not work with current version)

Final Words

Alex Tkachman | 16 Oct 22:57 2011
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Windows-Installer for 1.8.3 - Versions of Modules, Problem with Groovy++

Yes, I confirm the problem - 1.8.3 introduce breaking change in the compiler and we need few days to fix it.

[...]

Joachim Baumann | 17 Oct 08:26 2011
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Windows-Installer for 1.8.3 - Versions of Modules, Problem with Groovy++

Ok, I'll wait until then. So the installer will be released next weekend.

Cheers, Joachim

[...]

Guillaume Laforge | 17 Oct 08:35 2011
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Windows-Installer for 1.8.3 - Versions of Modules, Problem with Groovy++

What breaking change exactly?

Guillaume

[...]

Alex Tkachman | 17 Oct 08:45 2011
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Windows-Installer for 1.8.3 - Versions of Modules, Problem with Groovy++

The check which produces exception below is too broad and complains on A LOT of situations which are perfectly OK (means passing OpenJDK verifier/class loader without any problem). In fact I don't think any of g++ tests were failing on OpenJDK with 1.8.2 but few hundreds fail with 1.8.3 on exactly this check. I consider it as breaking change. Am I wrong?

[...]

Jochen Theodorou | 17 Oct 14:36 2011

Am 17.10.2011 08:45, schrieb Alex Tkachman:
> The check which produces exception below is too broad and complains on A
> LOT of situations which are perfectly OK (means passing OpenJDK
> verifier/class loader without any problem). In fact I don't think any of
> g++ tests were failing on OpenJDK with 1.8.2 but few hundreds fail with
> 1.8.3 on exactly this check. I consider it as breaking change. Am I wrong?
[...]
>>         Script1.groovy: 4: A transform used a generics containing
>>         ClassNode groovy.lang.Closure <V extends java.lang.Object ->
>>         java.lang.Object> for the super class mypackage.Script1$run$1
>>         directly. You are not suppposed to do this. Please create a
>>         new ClassNode refering to the old ClassNode and use the new
>>         ClassNode instead of the old one. Otherwise the compiler will
>>         create wrong descriptors and a potential NullPointerException
>>         in TypeResolver in the OpenJDK. If this is not your own doing,
>>         please report this bug to the writer of the transform.
>>           <at>  line 4, column 44.
>>            ello, ", "World!"].inject("") { String s

It is no argument that the verifier didn't complain, just because of
that it is not right. The problem is actually quite difficult, because
the place it does surface is not always directly the place it is used.
We had this issue several times in the past and Roshan always worked
around it somehow. Then it appeared again in Grails and this time I
decided to add a check that enforces the correct usage of ClassNodes.
That check caused the wrong code parts to surface and in the end we
found code in Groovy that was using the API wrong, and caused the
typical NPEs then indirectly in Grails.

I am pretty sure it is only a few places (in Groovy it was 2-3, in core
Grails only 1), that really needs adaption to the correct usage.

bye blackdrag

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org