Kenneth Kousen | 21 May 13:07 2012

[groovy-user] Groovy-Eclipse compiler plugin for Maven replacing gmaven

There have been some hints on this list that the Groovy-Eclipse compiler plugin for Maven http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy-Eclipse+compiler+plugin+for+Maven is eventually going to become the primary option for using Groovy with Maven.

1. Is that true?

2. When is it likely to happen? Will it be part of the Groovy 2.0 transition, or unrelated?

3. Is GMaven under development any more?

4. Why doesn't either option generate a decent Eclipse project? When I run the eclipse:eclipse target, Eclipse doesn't even understand that the result is a Groovy project, much less get the paths configured properly. It's a real disaster, especially considering how easy that is to do with Gradle.

I have some clients that have to use Maven instead of Gradle, and they're having a tough time introducing Groovy because the Maven support is, at best, awkward, and, at worst, unusable.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ken
--
Kenneth A. Kousen
President

Sebastien Blanc | 21 May 13:46 2012
Picon

Re: [groovy-user] Groovy-Eclipse compiler plugin for Maven replacing gmaven

Maybe you should ask this question on the groovy-eclipse-plugin ML to
get more answers ? (eclipse-plugin-user@...)
Best Regards,
Seb

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Kenneth Kousen <ken.kousen@...> wrote:
> There have been some hints on this list that the Groovy-Eclipse compiler
> plugin for
> Maven http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy-Eclipse+compiler+plugin+for+Maven is
> eventually going to become the primary option for using Groovy with Maven.
>
> 1. Is that true?
>
> 2. When is it likely to happen? Will it be part of the Groovy 2.0
> transition, or unrelated?
>
> 3. Is GMaven under development any more?
>
> 4. Why doesn't either option generate a decent Eclipse project? When I run
> the eclipse:eclipse target, Eclipse doesn't even understand that the result
> is a Groovy project, much less get the paths configured properly. It's a
> real disaster, especially considering how easy that is to do with Gradle.
>
> I have some clients that have to use Maven instead of Gradle, and they're
> having a tough time introducing Groovy because the Maven support is, at
> best, awkward, and, at worst, unusable.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
> --
> Kenneth A. Kousen
> President
> Kousen IT, Inc.

Guillaume Laforge | 21 May 14:23 2012

Re: [groovy-user] Groovy-Eclipse compiler plugin for Maven replacing gmaven

Hi Ken,