Francesco Mazzoli | 20 Aug 16:47 2012
Picon

Haskell master thesis project

Hi list(s),

I've been hooked on Haskell for a while now (some of you might know me as
bitonic on #haskell), and I find myself to decide on a project for my masters
thesis.

Inspired by the David Terei's master thesis (he wrote the LLVM backend), I was
wondering if there were any projects requiring similar effort that will benefit
the Haskell community.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt
Jay Sulzberger | 20 Aug 17:50 2012

Re: Haskell master thesis project

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Francesco Mazzoli <f <at> mazzo.li> wrote:

> Hi list(s),
>
> I've been hooked on Haskell for a while now (some of you might know me as
> bitonic on #haskell), and I find myself to decide on a project for my masters
> thesis.
>
> Inspired by the David Terei's master thesis (he wrote the LLVM backend), I was
> wondering if there were any projects requiring similar effort that will benefit
> the Haskell community.
>
> --
> Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

The map from Source Code to Executable is one of the Great
Functors of Programming.  Lisp has the advantage that this
functor is visible and the objects and maps of the domain
category Source Code are easy to pick up and modify.

I think ghc may be instructed to output a textual representation
of the "Core" code produced on the way to the executable from
Haskell source code.  But this representation is, in part,
inadequate:

1. The representation is not faithful.  Thus, for example, we
cannot feed the textual representation of Core into the next part
of the Haskell compiler pipeline and get the same executable
we would get by running ghc on the Haskell source code.