Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 24 Aug 22:47 2012
Picon

Darcs fetches too little files


I am trying to fetch wxHaskell with the command
   darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/wxhaskell/
but there are much too little files downloaded; what could be the problem?

I'm working on Windows XP, both in an MS-DOS shell and an MSYS shell.
Installed Darcs version: 2.8.1

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--

-- 
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
http://members.chello.nl/hjgtuyl/tourdemonad.html
Haskell programming
--
Gwern Branwen | 24 Aug 23:14 2012
Picon

Re: Darcs fetches too little files

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl <at> chello.nl> wrote:
> I am trying to fetch wxHaskell with the command
>   darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/wxhaskell/
> but there are much too little files downloaded; what could be the problem?
>
> I'm working on Windows XP, both in an MS-DOS shell and an MSYS shell.
> Installed Darcs version: 2.8.1

Could you be more specific? The point of --lazy *is* to fetch very few
files, so as described, it's working as it should...

--

-- 
gwern
http://www.gwern.net
Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 25 Aug 09:55 2012
Picon

Re: Darcs fetches too little files

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:14:05 +0200, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl <at> chello.nl>  
> wrote:
>> I am trying to fetch wxHaskell with the command
>>   darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/wxhaskell/
>> but there are much too little files downloaded; what could be the  
>> problem?
>>
>> I'm working on Windows XP, both in an MS-DOS shell and an MSYS shell.
>> Installed Darcs version: 2.8.1
>
> Could you be more specific? The point of --lazy *is* to fetch very few
> files, so as described, it's working as it should...
>

I get the same files, with or without --lazy, they are:

wxhaskell_3>dir /s/b
wxhaskell_3\darcs916
wxhaskell_3\darcs916-new_be8f187acbc53e7192167af035fde402
wxhaskell_3\_darcs
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\format
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\hashed_inventory
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\patches
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\prefs
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\pristine.hashed
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\prefs\binaries
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\prefs\boring
wxhaskell_3\_darcs\prefs\defaultrepo
(Continue reading)

Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 28 Aug 17:11 2012
Picon

Re: Darcs fetches too little files

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:47:37 +0200, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl <at> chello.nl>  
wrote:

>
> I am trying to fetch wxHaskell with the command
>    darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/wxhaskell/
> but there are much too little files downloaded; what could be the  
> problem?
>

Albert Einstein said:
   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting  
different results.

I repeated the command today and it worked!

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--

-- 
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
http://members.chello.nl/hjgtuyl/tourdemonad.html
Haskell programming
--
Stefan Monnier | 29 Aug 23:10 2012
Picon

Re: Darcs fetches too little files

> Albert Einstein said:
>   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
> different results.
> I repeated the command today and it worked!

So, did you expect the result to be different, or did you re-try just to
confirm that it doesn't work?

        Stefan
Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 29 Aug 23:55 2012
Picon

Re: Darcs fetches too little files

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:10:24 +0200, Stefan Monnier  
<monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Albert Einstein said:
>>   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
>> different results.
>> I repeated the command today and it worked!
>
> So, did you expect the result to be different, or did you re-try just to
> confirm that it doesn't work?

The day after I tried the command the first time, I thought the result  
might be different; I have the experience that my browser crashes, and  
starting it again results in an immediate crash. Logging off and on again  
solves the problem. This might be because of a corrupted DLL or a  
corrupted data area of a DLL.

The command failure could have also been caused by a problem at the server  
side.

In conclusion: repeating the same thing could give different results.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--

-- 
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
http://members.chello.nl/hjgtuyl/tourdemonad.html
Haskell programming
--
(Continue reading)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk | 30 Aug 00:30 2012
Picon

Iterations (Was: Re: Darcs fetches too little files)

Le 29/08/2012 23:55, Henk-Jan van Tuyl a écrit :
> In conclusion: repeating the same thing could give different results.
>
Certainly!

My favourite example is : sex.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Gmane