damodar kulkarni | 31 Aug 05:21 2012
Picon

Function names in Haskell lib not first-class on web!

Hi Cafe,
It seems, the function names in Haskell libs are not first-class objects, AT LEAST when it comes to searching for them of the net!
I was trying to search for the following Haskell functions in the mailing list archives. Here is a summary of the responses I have had from various servers upon searching various "valid and normally used" Haskell function identifiers from well-known libraries.

 >>=, It seems the script searched for the string "> >"
* -> *There are 0 results.
and so on...

>>=  Here, too, it seems the script searched for the string "> >"
* -> *  Here it seems the script searched for the string ">"
and so on...

Note: google badly fails to search these functions identifiers.

My current solution to this problem is: download compressed text archives and do a simple grep on it on my machine.

But the archives up to year 2000 only are found at http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/.
So, as an aside: Where do I find the earlier messages for downloading?

Thanks,
Damodar

Kristopher Micinski | 31 Aug 05:25 2012
Picon

Re: Function names in Haskell lib not first-class on web!

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM, damodar kulkarni
<kdamodar2000 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Cafe,
> It seems, the function names in Haskell libs are not first-class objects, AT
> LEAST when it comes to searching for them of the net!
> I was trying to search for the following Haskell functions in the mailing
> list archives. Here is a summary of the responses I have had from various
> servers upon searching various "valid and normally used" Haskell function
> identifiers from well-known libraries.

>  >>=, It seems the script searched for the string "&gt; &gt;"
> * -> *There are 0 results.
> and so on...

>>>=  Here, too, it seems the script searched for the string "&gt; &gt;"
> * -> *  Here it seems the script searched for the string "&gt;"
> and so on...
>
> Note: google badly fails to search these functions identifiers.
>
> My current solution to this problem is: download compressed text archives
> and do a simple grep on it on my machine.
>
> But the archives up to year 2000 only are found at
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/.
> So, as an aside: Where do I find the earlier messages for downloading?
>
> Thanks,
> Damodar

You know about Hoogle, right?

kris