Michael Snoyman | 15 Oct 09:47 2012

forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

Hi all,

I think I have a misunderstanding of how forkProcess should be working. Ultimately this relates to some bugs in the development version of keter, but I've found some behavior in a simple test program which I wouldn't have expected either, which may or may not be related.

With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread, the forked process, and the master process. And if I spawn 8 or less child threads that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up that number to 9, the child process is never run. The process is, however, created, as can be confirmed by looking at the process table.

This only occurs when using the multithreaded runtime. In other words, compiling with "ghc --make test.hs" seems to always produce the expected output, whereas "ghc --make -threaded test.hs" causes the behavior described above. Having looked through the code for the process package a bit, my initial guess is that this is being caused by a signal being sent to the child process, but I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings to confirm or disprove this guess.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.

Michael

import System.Posix.Process (forkProcess, getProcessID)
import Control.Concurrent (forkIO, threadDelay)
import System.IO (hFlush, stdout)
import System.Posix.Signals (signalProcess, sigKILL)
import Control.Exception (finally)

main :: IO ()
main = do
    mapM_ spawnChild [1..9]
    child <- forkProcess $ do
        putStrLn "starting child"
        hFlush stdout
        loop "child" 0
    print ("child pid", child)
    hFlush stdout

-- I've commented out the "finally" so that the zombie process stays alive,
    -- to prove that it was actually created.
    loop "parent" 0 -- `finally` signalProcess sigKILL child

spawnChild :: Int -> IO ()
spawnChild i = do
    _ <- forkIO $ loop ("spawnChild " ++ show i) 0
    return ()

loop :: String -> Int -> IO ()
loop msg i = do
    pid <- getProcessID
    print (pid, msg, i)
    hFlush stdout
    threadDelay 1000000
    loop msg (i + 1)
Simon Marechal | 15 Oct 10:45 2012

On 15/10/2012 09:47, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per
> second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread,
> the forked process, and the master process. And if I spawn 8 or less
> child threads that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up
> that number to 9, the child process is never run. The process is,
> however, created, as can be confirmed by looking at the process table.

FWIW I can reproduce this problem. The strace in both cases is very
different. In the non threaded runtime, everything works as you expect:

7519  select(2, [], [1], NULL, {0, 0})  = 1 (out [1], left {0, 0})
7519  write(1, "starting child\n", 15)  = 15
7519  select(2, [], [1], NULL, {0, 0})  = 1 (out [1], left {0, 0})
7519  write(1, "(7519,\"child\",0)\n", 17) = 17
7519  timer_settime(0x3, 0, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={0, 0}}, NULL) = 0
7519  select(0, [], [], NULL, {0, 999994} <unfinished ...>
7519  <... select resumed> )            = 0 (Timeout)
7519  timer_settime(0x3, 0, {it_interval={0, 10000000}, it_value={0,
10000000}},  <unfinished ...>
7519  <... timer_settime resumed> NULL) = 0
7519  select(2, [], [1], NULL, {0, 0} <unfinished ...>
7519  <... select resumed> )            = 1 (out [1], left {0, 0})
7519  write(1, "(7519,\"child\",1)\n", 17 <unfinished ...>

In the threaded case, it:
* closes FD 3,4,5,6
* epoll_create, pipe, all kind of things
* clones twice
* ???

It seems that forkProcess is implemented entirely differently in the
threaded runtime.
Alexander V Vershilov | 14 Oct 22:58 2012

Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:47:35AM +0200, Michael Snoyman wrote
> Hi all,
> I think I have a misunderstanding of how forkProcess should be working.
> Ultimately this relates to some bugs in the development version of keter, but
> I've found some behavior in a simple test program which I wouldn't have
> expected either, which may or may not be related.
> With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per
> second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread, the
> forked process, and the master process. And if I spawn 8 or less child threads
> that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up that number to 9, the
> child process is never run. The process is, however, created, as can be
> confirmed by looking at the process table.
> This only occurs when using the multithreaded runtime. In other words,
> compiling with "ghc --make test.hs" seems to always produce the expected
> output, whereas "ghc --make -threaded test.hs" causes the behavior described
> above. Having looked through the code for the process package a bit, my initial
> guess is that this is being caused by a signal being sent to the child process,
> but I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings to confirm or disprove this
> guess.
> If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.
> Michael
> import System.Posix.Process (forkProcess, getProcessID)
> import Control.Concurrent (forkIO, threadDelay)
> import System.IO (hFlush, stdout)
> import System.Posix.Signals (signalProcess, sigKILL)
> import Control.Exception (finally)
> main :: IO ()
> main = do
>     mapM_ spawnChild [1..9]
>     child <- forkProcess $ do
>         putStrLn "starting child"
>         hFlush stdout
>         loop "child" 0
>     print ("child pid", child)
>     hFlush stdout
>     -- I've commented out the "finally" so that the zombie process stays alive,
>     -- to prove that it was actually created.
>     loop "parent" 0 -- `finally` signalProcess sigKILL child
> spawnChild :: Int -> IO ()
> spawnChild i = do
>     _ <- forkIO $ loop ("spawnChild " ++ show i) 0
>     return ()
> loop :: String -> Int -> IO ()
> loop msg i = do
>     pid <- getProcessID
>     print (pid, msg, i)
>     hFlush stdout
>     threadDelay 1000000
>     loop msg (i + 1)

Sounds like a bug and is not reproducing on ghc-7.6

Alexander Vershilov
Kazu Yamamoto | 15 Oct 11:23 2012

Michael,

> Having looked through the code for the process package a bit, my
> initial guess is that this is being caused by a signal being sent to the child
> process, but I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings to confirm or
> disprove this guess.

To remove that comment for finally, you need the following:

_ <- installHandler sigCHLD Ignore Nothing

Put this line into the beginning of the main. And import necessary
things from System.Posix.Signals.

--Kazu
Joey Hess | 15 Oct 18:30 2012

Michael Snoyman wrote:
> I think I have a misunderstanding of how forkProcess should be working.
> Ultimately this relates to some bugs in the development version of keter, but
> I've found some behavior in a simple test program which I wouldn't have
> expected either, which may or may not be related.
> With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per
> second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread, the
> that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up that number to 9, the
> child process is never run. The process is, however, created, as can be
> confirmed by looking at the process table.
> This only occurs when using the multithreaded runtime. In other words,
> compiling with "ghc --make test.hs" seems to always produce the expected
> output, whereas "ghc --make -threaded test.hs" causes the behavior described
> guess.
> If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.

While I'm not reproducing that behavior here with your test case and
7.4.1, I recently converted a large program to use -threaded (because I
needed to use yesod in it, actually :), and had large quantities of pain
involving forkProcess. It seemed to come down to this easily overlooked
note in the docs:

forkProcess comes with a giant warning: since any other running threads
  are not copied into the child process, it's easy to go wrong: e.g. by
  accessing some shared resource that was held by another thread in the
  parent.

In my experience, forkProcess often behaves incomprehensibly (to me)
with -threaded, typically resulting in a forked process hanging, and
quite often only some small percentage of the time, which makes it
really hard to track down and try to diagnose what thunk might not be
getting forced until after the fork, or whatever.

I did some analysis and produced a test case for problems caused by
use of forkProcess in parts of MissingH, here:

My understanding is that System.Process avoids these problems by doing
all the setup around forking a command in C code. I've banished
forkProcess from my code base entirely, except for a double fork I need
to daemonize, and I don't even trust that call. :/

see shy jo
Brandon Allbery | 15 Oct 18:48 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Joey Hess <joey <at> kitenet.net> wrote:
  forkProcess comes with a giant warning: since any other running threads
  are not copied into the child process, it's easy to go wrong: e.g. by
  accessing some shared resource that was held by another thread in the
  parent.

In my experience, forkProcess often behaves incomprehensibly (to me)
with -threaded, typically resulting in a forked process hanging, and
quite often only some small percentage of the time, which makes it
really hard to track down and try to diagnose what thunk might not be
getting forced until after the fork, or whatever.

The forkProcess MissingH discussion recently left me feeling like this is going to be triggered in all cases, because it sounds like one of the problematic threads is the I/O manager's thread?

brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b <at> gmail.com                                  ballbery <at> sinenomine.net
unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net

Kazu Yamamoto | 16 Oct 03:04 2012

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

> My understanding is that System.Process avoids these problems by doing
> all the setup around forking a command in C code. I've banished
> forkProcess from my code base entirely, except for a double fork I need
> to daemonize, and I don't even trust that call. :/

I think you are right. forkProcess is necessary to deamonize a process
but I don't know other usage.

daemonize :: IO () -> IO ()
daemonize program = ensureDetachTerminalCanWork $ do
        exitSuccess
    detachTerminal = void createSession

--Kazu
Michael Snoyman | 16 Oct 15:54 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Joey Hess <joey <at> kitenet.net> wrote:
Michael Snoyman wrote:
> I think I have a misunderstanding of how forkProcess should be working.
> Ultimately this relates to some bugs in the development version of keter, but
> I've found some behavior in a simple test program which I wouldn't have
> expected either, which may or may not be related.
> With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per
> second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread, the
> that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up that number to 9, the
> child process is never run. The process is, however, created, as can be
> confirmed by looking at the process table.
> This only occurs when using the multithreaded runtime. In other words,
> compiling with "ghc --make test.hs" seems to always produce the expected
> output, whereas "ghc --make -threaded test.hs" causes the behavior described
> guess.
> If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.

While I'm not reproducing that behavior here with your test case and
7.4.1, I recently converted a large program to use -threaded (because I
needed to use yesod in it, actually :), and had large quantities of pain
involving forkProcess. It seemed to come down to this easily overlooked
note in the docs:

forkProcess comes with a giant warning: since any other running threads
  are not copied into the child process, it's easy to go wrong: e.g. by
  accessing some shared resource that was held by another thread in the
  parent.

In my experience, forkProcess often behaves incomprehensibly (to me)
with -threaded, typically resulting in a forked process hanging, and
quite often only some small percentage of the time, which makes it
really hard to track down and try to diagnose what thunk might not be
getting forced until after the fork, or whatever.

I did some analysis and produced a test case for problems caused by
use of forkProcess in parts of MissingH, here:

My understanding is that System.Process avoids these problems by doing
all the setup around forking a command in C code. I've banished
forkProcess from my code base entirely, except for a double fork I need
to daemonize, and I don't even trust that call. :/

Well, I tried switching my code to forking/execing from C in a very similar manner to the process package, and it seems to work.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Michael
Alexander Kjeldaas | 16 Oct 21:55 2012

On 15 October 2012 09:47, Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> wrote:
Hi all,

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.

Not being familiar with the implementation, I'll just note that combining fork() with threads, as in the multithreaded RTS is going to have subtle bugs, no matter what.  The only winning strategy is to not play that game.

There are variants of this, but the meta-problem is that at the point in time when you call forkProcess, you must control all threads, ensuring that all invariants hold.  Thus no locks held, no thread is in the C library, no foreign calls active etc.  As an example, if one thread is in the C library doing some stdio, then the invariants in that library will not hold, and you cannot expect stdio to work in the child.  This means that the only thing you can really do in the child process is call exec.

These issues do not exist in the non-threaded world.

Alexander

Michael

import System.Posix.Process (forkProcess, getProcessID)
import Control.Concurrent (forkIO, threadDelay)
import System.IO (hFlush, stdout)
import System.Posix.Signals (signalProcess, sigKILL)
import Control.Exception (finally)

main :: IO ()
main = do
    mapM_ spawnChild [1..9]
    child <- forkProcess $ do
        putStrLn "starting child"
        hFlush stdout
        loop "child" 0
    print ("child pid", child)
    hFlush stdout

-- I've commented out the "finally" so that the zombie process stays alive,
    -- to prove that it was actually created.
    loop "parent" 0 -- `finally` signalProcess sigKILL child

spawnChild :: Int -> IO ()
spawnChild i = do
    _ <- forkIO $ loop ("spawnChild " ++ show i) 0
    return ()

loop :: String -> Int -> IO ()
loop msg i = do
    pid <- getProcessID
    print (pid, msg, i)
    hFlush stdout
    threadDelay 1000000
    loop msg (i + 1)

Donn Cave | 16 Oct 22:16 2012

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

Since we're talking about forkIO here - not forkOS - is it possible
to control the use of OS threads to avoid this problem?  As I
understand it, the problem is with real OS threads.  A program
running entirely in multiple `green' threads will fork to the same
set of threads in the same state, creating no problem with internal
state.

I'm guessing this is why he sees the problem at 9 threads - maybe the
runtime picks up another OS thread at that point.

Of course one could link the unthreaded RTS, and that will cause
everything, including runtime gc etc., to run in the parent thread,
true?  And there are some runtime options to control number of threads
scheduled.

Donn
Richard O'Keefe | 16 Oct 23:47 2012

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

The problems with forkProcess really are not Haskell's fault.
You will find warnings in the documentation for C's fork():

There are limits to what you can do in the child process.
	To be totally safe you should restrict yourself to only
	executing async-signal safe operations until such time
	as one of the exec functions is called.  All APIs,
	including global data symbols, in any framework or
	library should be assumed to be unsafe after a fork()
	unless explicitly documented to be safe or async-signal safe.

That's actually pretty scary.  I'd always assumed that this was
one of the reasons why the posix_spawn() function and its support
crew were devised.  Which reminds me that I expected to find
posix_spawn() in System.Posix.Process but didn't.

Mike Meyer | 17 Oct 00:17 2012
Face

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:55:44 +0200
Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> There are variants of this, but the meta-problem is that at the point in
> time when you call forkProcess, you must control all threads, ensuring that
> *all invariants hold*.  Thus no locks held, no thread is in the C library,
> no foreign calls active etc.  As an example, if one thread is in the C
> library doing some stdio, then the invariants in that library will not
> hold, and you cannot expect stdio to work in the child.  This means that
> the only thing you can really do in the child process is call exec.

Further, you can only call exec if you make sure that the exec
correctly reverts everything back to a state where those invariants
hold. Mostly, this is automatic as resources get freed on exec and "do
the right thing." Locks on file descriptors that aren't closed on exec
will leave dangling locks, and locks on files that are closed on exec
will unexpectedly close them in the parent.

<mike

Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
Alexander Kjeldaas | 17 Oct 13:10 2012

On 17 October 2012 00:17, Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:55:44 +0200
Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> There are variants of this, but the meta-problem is that at the point in
> time when you call forkProcess, you must control all threads, ensuring that
> *all invariants hold*.  Thus no locks held, no thread is in the C library,
> no foreign calls active etc.  As an example, if one thread is in the C
> library doing some stdio, then the invariants in that library will not
> hold, and you cannot expect stdio to work in the child.  This means that
> the only thing you can really do in the child process is call exec.

Further, you can only call exec if you make sure that the exec
correctly reverts everything back to a state where those invariants
hold. Mostly, this is automatic as resources get freed on exec and "do
the right thing." Locks on file descriptors that aren't closed on exec
will leave dangling locks, and locks on files that are closed on exec
will unexpectedly close them in the parent.

Right.  It should be renamed mostlyUnsafeForkProcess, assuming the multi-threaded RTS is "mostly" the default one.

Alexander

<mike
Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org>              http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org

Mark Lentczner | 21 Jan 00:15 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

Sorry to be reviving this thread so long after.... but I seem to be running into similar issues as Michael S. did at the start.

In short, I'm using forkProcess with the threaded RTS, and see occasional hangs:
  • I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
  • I noticed the warning in the doc for forkProcess, but assumed I was safe, as I wasn't holding any shared resources at the time of the fork, and no shared resources in the program are used in the child.
  • WIth gdb, I've traced the hang to here in the run-time: forkProcess > discardTasksExcept > freeTask > closeMutex(&task->lock) > pthread_mutex_destroy
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
  • Isn't the only reason System.Process is safer because it does an immediate exec in the child? Alas, I really want to just fork() sometimes.
  • Is it really true that even if my program has no shared resources with the child, that the IO subsystem and FFI system do anyway? Surely the RTS would take care of doing the right thing with those, no?
  • There should be no concern with exec w.r.t. library invariants since exec is wholesale replacement - all the libraries will reinitialize. Is there a problem here I'm missing?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark
Alexander Kjeldaas | 21 Jan 08:18 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

I just looked at this code and since I don't know the code I can't give you good solutions, but for others watching this thread the links might prove interesting.

My main theory is that you do have some other thread in FFI-land while you are fork()ing.  The task->cond, task->lock seems to be related to this (see quoted comments below).

Also, pthread_mutex_destroy is undefined if the lock is locked, so I am guessing that the task->lock is somehow locked when it shouldn't be.

It isn't clear from your description whether this is consistently happening on Linux, or whether this only sometimes happens.

The forkProcess() code seems to hold all capabilities during fork, but that does not include FFI-land threads AFAIU.

Assuming that this happens only rarely, I am trying to understand what happens if the thread that is in FFI-land returns to the RTS (in the parent) after fork(), but before the freeTask() in the child.  Based on the descriptions I read, it seems likely that this thread will try to inspect task->cap, which requires holding task->lock.

That would in turn make the pthread_mutex_destroy in the child invalid.

"""
 ...
 When a task is migrated from sleeping on one Capability to another,
   its task->cap field must be modified.  When the task wakes up, it
   will read the new value of task->cap to find out which Capability
   it belongs to.  Hence some synchronisation is required on
   task->cap, and this is why we have task->lock.

If the Task is not currently owned by task->id, then the thread is
   either

(a) waiting on the condition task->cond.  The Task is either
         (1) a bound Task, the TSO will be on a queue somewhere
(2) a worker task, on the spare_workers queue of task->cap.
   ...
"""

freeTask:

the comment in freeTask refers to this test:

That test calls the RTC from C which then forkIOs off actions that are outstanding when the RTS exits.

in forkProcess, child code

It look like all this code supports the notion that some other thread can be in foreign code during the fork call.

discardTasksExcept

Alexander

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner <at> gmail.com> wrote:

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark

Alexander Kjeldaas | 21 Jan 10:14 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

I think you can test this theory with this patch.  If a thread is waiting on the task->cond condition variable which is matched up with task->lock, then pthread_cond_destroy will return EBUSY, which must always be a bug in the RTS.

Alexander

diff --git a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
index ae31966..0f12830 100644
--- a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
+++ b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
<at> <at> -91,7 +91,8 <at> <at> initCondition( Condition* pCond )
 void
 closeCondition( Condition* pCond )
 {
-  pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  int ret = pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  CHECKM(ret == 0, "RTS BUG! Someone is waiting on condvar %d.", ret);
   return;
 }

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas <at> gmail.com> wrote:

That would in turn make the pthread_mutex_destroy in the child invalid.

"""
 ...
 When a task is migrated from sleeping on one Capability to another,
   its task->cap field must be modified.  When the task wakes up, it
   will read the new value of task->cap to find out which Capability
   it belongs to.  Hence some synchronisation is required on
   task->cap, and this is why we have task->lock.

If the Task is not currently owned by task->id, then the thread is
   either

(a) waiting on the condition task->cond.  The Task is either
         (1) a bound Task, the TSO will be on a queue somewhere
(2) a worker task, on the spare_workers queue of task->cap.
   ...
"""

freeTask:

the comment in freeTask refers to this test:

in forkProcess, child code

discardTasksExcept

Alexander

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark

Alexander Kjeldaas | 21 Jan 10:42 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

Or this.  It seems that you must compile with DEBUG for the mutex check.  This enables error-checking mutexes on posix.

Alexander

diff --git a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
index ae31966..e07221d 100644
--- a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
+++ b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
<at> <at> -91,7 +91,8 <at> <at> initCondition( Condition* pCond )
 void
 closeCondition( Condition* pCond )
 {
-  pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  int ret = pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  CHECKM(ret == 0, "RTS Bug! Someone is waiting on condvar ret=%d.", ret);
   return;
 }

<at> <at> -165,7 +166,8 <at> <at> initMutex(Mutex* pMut)
 void
 closeMutex(Mutex* pMut)
 {
-    pthread_mutex_destroy(pMut);
+    int ret = pthread_mutex_destroy(pMut);
+    CHECKM(ret == 0, "RTS Bug! Destroying held mutex ret=%d", ret);
 }

void

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Alexander

diff --git a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
index ae31966..0f12830 100644
--- a/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
+++ b/rts/posix/OSThreads.c
<at> <at> -91,7 +91,8 <at> <at> initCondition( Condition* pCond )
 void
 closeCondition( Condition* pCond )
 {
-  pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  int ret = pthread_cond_destroy(pCond);
+  CHECKM(ret == 0, "RTS BUG! Someone is waiting on condvar %d.", ret);
   return;
 }

That would in turn make the pthread_mutex_destroy in the child invalid.

"""
 ...
 When a task is migrated from sleeping on one Capability to another,
   its task->cap field must be modified.  When the task wakes up, it
   will read the new value of task->cap to find out which Capability
   it belongs to.  Hence some synchronisation is required on
   task->cap, and this is why we have task->lock.

If the Task is not currently owned by task->id, then the thread is
   either

(a) waiting on the condition task->cond.  The Task is either
         (1) a bound Task, the TSO will be on a queue somewhere
(2) a worker task, on the spare_workers queue of task->cap.
   ...
"""

freeTask:

the comment in freeTask refers to this test:

in forkProcess, child code

discardTasksExcept

Alexander

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark

Alexander Kjeldaas | 21 Jan 08:28 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
Previous versions of the linux pthreads library didn't hold any shared resources in locks, so pthread_mutex_destroy could not hang.  Now Linux is much improved, and thus it hangs (see pthread_mutex_destroy man page) ;-).

• I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
If you immediately do exec() in the child, you can use vfork() which blocks the parent.  This serializes the actions and makes this whole mess smooth and consistent.

It looks like the RTS is trying to do a lot of things to control all the Haskell threads etc.  But I don't think it waits for FFI-land threads before commencing a fork(), so that's why I'm guessing that some interaction between threads using FFI and fork() could be the issue.
I think that's right. vfork() + exec() can be serialized and deterministic thus is a lot easier to reason about.

Alexander
Chris Dornan | 21 Jan 14:14 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

I am also sorry to be late on this but I have run into the same problem trying to demonise a programme on 7.4.2. My solution was to get a shell wrapper to run the daemon in debug mode (I.e., sans fork) and get the shell script to do the demonising.

Other than this I have found the threaded RTS to be sound and I am quite reliant on it. So, where things that run —threaded are concerned, no forkProcess calls for me until I can better understand this better.

If anybody does think they understand what is going on here it would be great if they could write it up. IMHO, either the current notes on forkProcess don't go far enough, or there is a bug needing a workaround until the platform gets fixed.

Chris

From: Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner <at> gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 20 January 2013 23:15
To: haskell <haskell-cafe <at> haskell.org>
Cc: Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark
_______________________________________________ Haskell-Cafe mailing list Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Alexander Kjeldaas | 21 Jan 14:57 2013

Re: forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

While trying to dig around this morning I started adding clang-style thread locking annotations to the source code.  These can be very handy and I found at least one place where the documented locking policy doesn't seem to match what is happening.

Here is an example with annotations, and what might or might not be a bug.  With these annotations, clang will be able to prove whether the program obeys the locking regime or not.

But this is of course only one part of the RTS, but the locking can be pretty "interesting" in itself.

Does anyone else feel that this sort of annotations would help?

Alexander

diff --git a/rts/Task.c b/rts/Task.c
index e6781a1..1e499dc 100644
--- a/rts/Task.c
+++ b/rts/Task.c
<at> <at> -25,12 +25,12 <at> <at>

// Task lists and global counters.
 // Locks required: all_tasks_mutex.
-Task *all_tasks = NULL;
+Task *all_tasks GUARDED_BY(all_tasks_mutex) = NULL;

-nat taskCount;
-nat workerCount;
-nat currentWorkerCount;
-nat peakWorkerCount;
+nat taskCount GUARDED_BY(all_tasks_mutex);
+nat workerCount GUARDED_BY(all_tasks_mutex);
+nat currentWorkerCount GUARDED_BY(all_tasks_mutex);
+nat peakWorkerCount GUARDED_BY(all_tasks_mutex);

static int tasksInitialized = 0;

<at> <at> -339,9 +339,11 <at> <at> void updateCapabilityRefs (void)
     ACQUIRE_LOCK(&all_tasks_mutex);

for (task = all_tasks; task != NULL; task=task->all_next) {
+        ACQUIRE_LOCK(task->lock);
         if (task->cap != NULL) {
             task->cap = &capabilities[task->cap->no];
         }
+        RELEASE_LOCK(task->lock);

for (incall = task->incall; incall != NULL; incall = incall->prev_stack) {
             if (incall->suspended_cap != NULL) {

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Chris Dornan <chris <at> chrisdornan.com> wrote:

Chris

From: Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner <at> gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 20 January 2013 23:15
To: haskell <haskell-cafe <at> haskell.org>
Cc: Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

• I see these only on Linux. On Mac OS X, I never do.
  • I'm using GHC 7.4.2
The discussion in this thread leaves me with these questions:
  • Is there reason to think the situation has gotten better in 7.6 and later?
Alas, I've stopped using the threaded RTS until I understand this better.

- Mark