Richard Wallace | 19 Oct 07:18 2012
Picon

acid-state audit trail

Hey all,

I've been looking at acid-state as a possible storage backend for an
application.  It looks like it fits my needs pretty damn well, but one
thing that I'm curious about is if it is possible to get a list of
"update events".  You can obviously query for the current state, but
it's not immediately apparent if you can see the history of your
values state.  This is useful in some things, like providing audit
trails and debugging.  As well as being able to re-create state in a
different form.

I was also curious if the createCheckpoint function eliminates the
state history or does it just create a snapshot, it's not apparent
from the docs.

Thanks,
Rich
Neil Davies | 19 Oct 12:53 2012
Picon

Re: acid-state audit trail

The history is there until you "archive" (move a checkpoint out into a separate directory) it and then
delete the archive yourself.

the checkpointing just reduces the recovery time (i.e creates a fixed point in time), if you were to keep all
the checkpoint/archives then you would have the complete history

Neil

On 19 Oct 2012, at 06:18, Richard Wallace <rwallace <at> thewallacepack.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been looking at acid-state as a possible storage backend for an
> application.  It looks like it fits my needs pretty damn well, but one
> thing that I'm curious about is if it is possible to get a list of
> "update events".  You can obviously query for the current state, but
> it's not immediately apparent if you can see the history of your
> values state.  This is useful in some things, like providing audit
> trails and debugging.  As well as being able to re-create state in a
> different form.
>
> I was also curious if the createCheckpoint function eliminates the
> state history or does it just create a snapshot, it's not apparent
> from the docs.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Richard Wallace | 19 Oct 17:38 2012
Picon

Re: acid-state audit trail

Ok, cool. Any idea if you can get a list of events, or can you just get the latest state?

Thanks,
Rich

The history is there until you "archive" (move a checkpoint out into a separate directory) it and then delete the archive yourself.

the checkpointing just reduces the recovery time (i.e creates a fixed point in time), if you were to keep all the checkpoint/archives then you would have the complete history

Neil

On 19 Oct 2012, at 06:18, Richard Wallace <rwallace <at> thewallacepack.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been looking at acid-state as a possible storage backend for an
> application.  It looks like it fits my needs pretty damn well, but one
> thing that I'm curious about is if it is possible to get a list of
> "update events".  You can obviously query for the current state, but
> it's not immediately apparent if you can see the history of your
> values state.  This is useful in some things, like providing audit
> trails and debugging.  As well as being able to re-create state in a
> different form.
>
> I was also curious if the createCheckpoint function eliminates the
> state history or does it just create a snapshot, it's not apparent
> from the docs.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Jeremy Shaw | 19 Oct 19:15 2012

Re: acid-state audit trail

Right now acid-state always tries to restore everything up through the
latest events.

The long term plan is to create an acid-state tool that would allow
you to rollback the event log, list and examine specific events, etc.

So, it is possible in theory, and not even that hard, but no one has
done the work yet.

- jeremy

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Richard Wallace