Alfredo Di Napoli | 5 Nov 08:38 2012

Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

Hi guys,

looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer? It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in order to contact him.
Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

A.
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Alfredo Di Napoli | 5 Nov 15:21 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

Anyone knows something?

On 5 November 2012 08:38, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

A.

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Roman Cheplyaka | 5 Nov 15:45 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

The "generic email" (xmonad <at> haskell.org) is the xmonad mailing list [1].
However, if you are not subscribed, your emails might get dropped or be
kept in the moderation queue.

So I suggest subscribing and trying again.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/xmonad

Roman

* Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> [2012-11-05 15:21:08+0100]
> Anyone knows something?
> On 5 November 2012 08:38, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> > wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> > Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> > It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> > order to contact him.
> > Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)
Alfredo Di Napoli | 5 Nov 16:10 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

Hey Roman,

thanks for the tip. I will also try on the irc channel, hoping to find someone :)

A.

On 5 November 2012 15:45, Roman Cheplyaka <roma <at> ro-che.info> wrote:
The "generic email" (xmonad <at> haskell.org) is the xmonad mailing list [1].
However, if you are not subscribed, your emails might get dropped or be
kept in the moderation queue.

So I suggest subscribing and trying again.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/xmonad

Roman

> Anyone knows something?
> > Hi guys,
> > looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> > wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> > Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> > It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> > order to contact him.
> > Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
timothyhobbs | 5 Nov 16:15 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

I am subscribed to the xmonad mailing list. But the question still stands.  The list is pretty quiet and it seems xmonad is maintainerless :(

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Roman Cheplyaka <roma <at> ro-che.info>
Datum: 5. 11. 2012
Předmět: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

The "generic email" (xmonad <at> haskell.org) is the xmonad mailing list [1].
However, if you are not subscribed, your emails might get dropped or be
kept in the moderation queue.

So I suggest subscribing and trying again.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/xmonad

Roman

> Anyone knows something?
> > Hi guys,
> > looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> > wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> > Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> > It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> > order to contact him.
> > Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Johan Brinch | 6 Nov 12:27 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM,  <timothyhobbs <at> seznam.cz> wrote:
> I am subscribed to the xmonad mailing list. But the question still stands.
> The list is pretty quiet and it seems xmonad is maintainerless :(

We could take over maintainership if no one has it. I don't have that
much spare time to work on it, but I do run it, and am familiar with
the code. We also fixed the QuickCheck code to work with the newer
QuickCheck (and if I recall correctly, there are some bugs to fixed in
core here).

Johan Brinch
Johan Brinch | 6 Nov 12:23 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> order to contact him.
> Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

Me and a couple others from the University of Copenhagen are running a
fork of both XMonad and XMonadContrib here:

Jesper Reenberg is in charge and we're patching bugs in our spare
time. We're both running this version daily (it's not bug free, but
it's stable "enough").

Johan Brinch
Alfredo Di Napoli | 6 Nov 12:31 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

The point is, I think it would be beneficial for XMonad to merge efforts in one one point.

For this reason I've contacted Adam (the current maintainer) and asked him if I could co-maintain XMonad.
The point is trying to make all our efforts in only one point. This is an excerpt of what I've told him:

Thanks for the quick reply. if you would like to, we can co-maintain Xmonad. I've been using it for six months now and became such an invaluable tool that Os X aqua interface sucks when I use it :)
I will be pretty busy until the end of the year, because I just landed a new job abroad and I'm in the process of relocating, bUt i'll have plenty of spare time this winter to hack on Xmonad.
I have great plans for our lovely window manager, including:
1) a new website, the current is nice but too geeky and "old". Capturing user interest through a cool website is very important imho
2) move Xmonad repo to github. this may sound heretical, but a lot of people (me included) are put off by Darcs. Git and github is such an effective tool that can't be ignored any longer. Furthermore, there is a lot of hype this days for osxmonad, which apparently build upon Xmonad, reusing it as much as possible. They are on github too. Working thightly with them we could create a family of product, with a bulk core (microkernel) and different adaption layer according to the Os (linux rather then mac os x)

Your fork could be a starting point, we could merge everything under one, centralized repo on github, switching for a user based account to an organization profile (XMonadWM or simply XMonad are two possible names, for example).

As soon as I get a reply for Adam I'll inform you!

Bye!
A.

On 6 November 2012 12:23, Johan Brinch <brinchj <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> order to contact him.
> Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

Me and a couple others from the University of Copenhagen are running a
fork of both XMonad and XMonadContrib here:

Jesper Reenberg is in charge and we're patching bugs in our spare
time. We're both running this version daily (it's not bug free, but
it's stable "enough").

Johan Brinch

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Alfredo Di Napoli | 6 Nov 12:33 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

Ah! The choice of an "official" maintainer is secondary, imo. It could be any of you, me, or whatever. I think that what is really important is to have a centralized point of convergence :)

Bye!
A.

On 6 November 2012 12:31, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:

I have great plans for our lovely window manager, including:

As soon as I get a reply for Adam I'll inform you!

Bye!
A.

On 6 November 2012 12:23, Johan Brinch <brinchj <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> looking at the Darcs repo it seems that something is happening, but XMonad
> wasn't updated in a year on Hackage and everything seems to be still.
> Is XMonad still actively developed? If yes, who is the current maintainer?
> It would be good to have him listed in the Hackage package description, in
> order to contact him.
> Atm there is one generic email that seems not to be read very often :)

Me and a couple others from the University of Copenhagen are running a
fork of both XMonad and XMonadContrib here:

Jesper Reenberg is in charge and we're patching bugs in our spare
time. We're both running this version daily (it's not bug free, but
it's stable "enough").

Johan Brinch

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Johan Brinch | 6 Nov 12:40 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah! The choice of an "official" maintainer is secondary, imo. It could be
> any of you, me, or whatever. I think that what is really important is to
> have a centralized point of convergence :)

Very good to see some interest in the code base ;-)
Maybe you should also check the IRC channel? #xmonad at freenode.
There's a lot of people in there.

I agree, that it would be good to merge the repositories, and I'd
prefer GitHub for hosting. I don't care who's the maintainer, except
it should be someone who's available and has the time and interest (a
fellow user).

Whether it's our repository or somewhere else, I don't really care, as
long as we can commit to it without too much hassle. Maybe we could
finally get those bugs in core fixed ;-)

Anyway, let me know when you hear something.

Johan Brinch
Alfredo Di Napoli | 6 Nov 12:46 2012

Re: Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

As soon as I get info from Adam I'll keep you posted :)
A.

On 6 November 2012 12:40, Johan Brinch <brinchj <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah! The choice of an "official" maintainer is secondary, imo. It could be
> any of you, me, or whatever. I think that what is really important is to
> have a centralized point of convergence :)

Very good to see some interest in the code base ;-)
Maybe you should also check the IRC channel? #xmonad at freenode.
There's a lot of people in there.

I agree, that it would be good to merge the repositories, and I'd
prefer GitHub for hosting. I don't care who's the maintainer, except
it should be someone who's available and has the time and interest (a
fellow user).

Whether it's our repository or somewhere else, I don't really care, as
long as we can commit to it without too much hassle. Maybe we could
finally get those bugs in core fixed ;-)

Anyway, let me know when you hear something.

Johan Brinch

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Alfredo Di Napoli | 6 Nov 12:46 2012

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Is XMonad still developed or with a current maintainer?

Sorry, I've posted the reply on Haskell cafè :D

As soon as I get info from Adam I'll keep you posted :)

On 6 November 2012 12:46, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

As soon as I get info from Adam I'll keep you posted :)
A.

On 6 November 2012 12:40, Johan Brinch <brinchj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Alfredo Di Napoli
<alfredo.dinapoli-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ah! The choice of an "official" maintainer is secondary, imo. It could be
> any of you, me, or whatever. I think that what is really important is to
> have a centralized point of convergence :)

Very good to see some interest in the code base ;-)
Maybe you should also check the IRC channel? #xmonad at freenode.
There's a lot of people in there.

I agree, that it would be good to merge the repositories, and I'd
prefer GitHub for hosting. I don't care who's the maintainer, except
it should be someone who's available and has the time and interest (a
fellow user).

Whether it's our repository or somewhere else, I don't really care, as
long as we can commit to it without too much hassle. Maybe we could
finally get those bugs in core fixed ;-)

Anyway, let me know when you hear something.

Johan Brinch

<div>
<p>Sorry, I've posted the reply on Haskell caf&egrave; :D</p>
<div><br></div>
<div>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<span>You have catch all my points, good to see what there is someone who agrees with me :)<br></span>I don't care who is the maintainer either, because a community-driven repo on github would be a great deal more effective.<br>
After all, the maintainer is the person that updates and push the package on Hackage, keep it updated and so on and so forth.<br>Is the social coding era, I think these are all tasks that could be performed by the XMonad community :)<br>
As soon as I get info from Adam I'll keep you posted :)</blockquote>
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On 6 November 2012 12:46, Alfredo Di Napoli <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:alfredo.dinapoli@..." target="_blank">alfredo.dinapoli@...</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">You have catch all my points, good to see what there is someone who agrees with me :)<div>I don't care who is the maintainer either, because a community-driven repo on github would be a great deal more effective.</div>

<div>After all, the maintainer is the person that updates and push the package on Hackage, keep it updated and so on and so forth.</div>
<div>Is the social coding era, I think these are all tasks that could be performed by the XMonad community :)</div>

<div><br></div>
<div>As soon as I get info from Adam I'll keep you posted :)</div>
<div>
<span class="HOEnZb">A.</span><div><div class="h5">
<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On 6 November 2012 12:40, Johan Brinch <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:brinchj <at> gmail.com" target="_blank">brinchj@...</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<div>On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Alfredo Di Napoli<br>
&lt;<a href="mailto:alfredo.dinapoli@..." target="_blank">alfredo.dinapoli@...</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Ah! The choice of an "official" maintainer is secondary, imo. It could be<br>
&gt; any of you, me, or whatever. I think that what is really important is to<br>
&gt; have a centralized point of convergence :)<br><br>
</div>Very good to see some interest in the code base ;-)<br>
Maybe you should also check the IRC channel? #xmonad at freenode.<br>
There's a lot of people in there.<br><br>
I agree, that it would be good to merge the repositories, and I'd<br>
prefer GitHub for hosting. I don't care who's the maintainer, except<br>
it should be someone who's available and has the time and interest (a<br>
fellow user).<br><br>
Whether it's our repository or somewhere else, I don't really care, as<br>
long as we can commit to it without too much hassle. Maybe we could<br>
finally get those bugs in core fixed ;-)<br><br>
Anyway, let me know when you hear something.<br><span><br>
--<br>