Myles C. Maxfield | 8 Nov 06:03 2012
Picon

Does anyone know where George Pollard is?

Hello,
I sent a message to George Pollard (porges <at> porg.es) about his 'idna'
package [1] a couple days ago, but he hasn't responded. I'd like to
depend on his package for something that I'm working on, but his
package fails to build (The email I sent him includes a patch that
should fix up the build problems). The package hasn't been updated for
3 years and he hasn't listed a source control repository.

Does anyone know where he is? If not, is there an accepted practice to
resolve this situation? Should I upload my own 'idna2' package?

Thanks,
Myles

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/idna
Johan Tibell | 8 Nov 06:34 2012
Picon

Re: Does anyone know where George Pollard is?

Does anyone know where he is? If not, is there an accepted practice to
resolve this situation? Should I upload my own 'idna2' package.

Generally we try to contact the maintainer (and give him/her enough time to reply, in case he/she is e.g. on vacation). After that someone can announce their intention to take over maintenance of the package.

-- Johan

Ketil Malde | 8 Nov 09:20 2012

"Myles C. Maxfield" <myles.maxfield <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone know where he is?

On GitHub? https://github.com/Porges  One of the repos was apparently
updated less than a week ago.

> If not, is there an accepted practice to
> resolve this situation? Should I upload my own 'idna2' package?

You can always upload a fork, but unless you have a lot of new
functionality that won't fit naturally in the old package, you can
perhaps try a bit more to contact the original author.

-k
Myles C. Maxfield | 14 Nov 18:45 2012
Picon

Re: Does anyone know where George Pollard is?

False alarm. He got back to me.

Thanks,
Myles

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Ketil Malde <ketil <at> malde.org> wrote:
> "Myles C. Maxfield" <myles.maxfield <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know where he is?
>
> On GitHub? https://github.com/Porges  One of the repos was apparently
> updated less than a week ago.
>
>> If not, is there an accepted practice to
>> resolve this situation? Should I upload my own 'idna2' package?
>
> You can always upload a fork, but unless you have a lot of new
> functionality that won't fit naturally in the old package, you can
> perhaps try a bit more to contact the original author.
>
> -k

Gmane