Andrew Pennebaker | 9 Nov 19:59 2012
Picon

curl package broken in Windows

When I do "cabal install curl" in Windows, a missing cygwin dll message pops up, and packages that depend on curl, like shpider, fail to install.

Specs:

* cabal-install 0.14.0
* Cabal 1.14.0
* GHC 7.4.2
* Haskell Platform 2012
* Windows 7 Proffesional x64

Andrew Pennebaker
Stephen Tetley | 9 Nov 21:13 2012
Picon

Re: curl package broken in Windows

Isn't Curl a C library (with a Haskell binding)?

For Haskell bindings the best environment on Windows is usually MinGW
/ MSys, but your error suggests you should be building from Cygwin in
this case.
Stephen Tetley | 10 Nov 08:08 2012
Picon

Re: curl package broken in Windows

I've just checked Hackage - the "Curl" package (haskell) is a binding
to libcurl (c library).

It looks like MinGW / MSys is the best option - there are some notes
are written by Sigbjorn Finne (who wrote the Haskell binding) although
they are now quite old:

http://haskell.forkio.com/Home/curl-win32

It looks like Sigbjorn, was cross compiling a MinGW build for libcurl
from Cygwin, instead I'd build under a proper installation of MinGW /
MSys. The bits of MinGW that are distributed with GHC aren't
sufficient for this - you will need a proper installing of MinGW /
MSys.

On 9 November 2012 20:13, Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't Curl a C library (with a Haskell binding)?

Gmane