Steve Severance | 21 Nov 00:21 2012

AST Rewriting

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to build a function to rewrite and AST. I have and AST which is designed to represent a computation graph. I will present a simplified version here designed to illustrate the problem. I have tried numerous ways of rewriting it including uniplate, recursion and Edward Kmett's implementation of plate in his lens package.

My AST is defined using GADTs as follows:

class (ReflectDescriptor a, Typeable a, Wire a) => ProtoBuf a

data Expression a b where
  OpenTable :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table -> Expression () b
  OpenFile :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String -> Expression () b
  WriteFile :: (Typeable a, ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String -> Expression a b -> Expression b ()
  WriteTable :: (Typeable a, ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table -> Expression a b -> Expression b ()
  Map :: (ProtoBuf a, ProtoBuf b, ProtoBuf c) => Int -> (a -> b) -> Expression c a -> Expression a b
  LocalMerge :: (ProtoBuf a) => Int -> [Expression c a] -> Expression c a

The user can create code inside a Monad Transformer like so:

q <- query $ do
         table <- openTable myTable
         transform <- map someFunc table
         writeTable otherTable transform

As part of this language the compiler I am building would need to for instance transform OpenTable into a series OpenFile nodes with a LocalMerge to merge the results together.

So uniplate cannot work over GADTs if I recall correctly.

I exchanged emails with Edward and he explained that for the lens case I would need something like an indexed lens family from his indexed package which is not implemented yet but which may be in the future.

The issue with recursion is that as you recurse through the AST the a b on the Expression change and GHC cannot compile it because it wants the a b to be the same on each recursive call.

My question to the Haskell community is how might one develop AST rewriting functionality. One possible solution is stripping the types away from GHC and doing all the type checking myself. That doesn't seem very good.

Another possibility that I have looked at was using hoopl. It seems very compatible given that it is built for describing and optimizing data flow which I am doing however the learning curve looks quite steep. I have been reluctant so far to invest the time in it.

Has anyone developed something similar? What recommendations do you have?

Thanks.

Steve
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Alexander Solla | 21 Nov 04:20 2012

Re: AST Rewriting

Have you read "Data types a la carte"?  The 'syntactic' package implements the ideas, but it was a little dense for my purposes when I looked (I just wanted data types, a la carte; it focuses on manipulating ASTs defined a la carte).  It might be what you need, or you can roll your own based on the paper.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Steve Severance <sseverance <at> alphaheavy.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My AST is defined using GADTs as follows:

class (ReflectDescriptor a, Typeable a, Wire a) => ProtoBuf a

data Expression a b where
  OpenTable :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table -> Expression () b
  OpenFile :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String -> Expression () b
  LocalMerge :: (ProtoBuf a) => Int -> [Expression c a] -> Expression c a

The user can create code inside a Monad Transformer like so:

q <- query $ do
         table <- openTable myTable
         transform <- map someFunc table
         writeTable otherTable transform

So uniplate cannot work over GADTs if I recall correctly.

Has anyone developed something similar? What recommendations do you have?

Thanks.

Steve

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Emil Axelsson | 21 Nov 14:56 2012

Re: AST Rewriting

This is one of the problem Syntactic aims to solve, but it requires you
to use a different representation of expressions (for good or bad). If
you want to keep your existing representation, then you have to use a
generic programming library that supports GADTs. I know at least the
Spine approach supports GADTs, but the library on Hackage seems too
incomplete to be useful:

I don't know if there are other libraries that support GADTs.

You can also have a look at CompData:

It is similar to Syntactic (i.e. requires a different representation),
but it has a richer library of generic traversals.

/ Emil

2012-11-21 04:20, Alexander Solla skrev:
> Have you read "Data types a la carte"?  The 'syntactic' package
> implements the ideas, but it was a little dense for my purposes when I
> looked (I just wanted data types, a la carte; it focuses on manipulating
> ASTs defined a la carte).  It might be what you need, or you can roll
> your own based on the paper.
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Steve Severance
> <sseverance <at> alphaheavy.com <mailto:sseverance <at> alphaheavy.com>> wrote:
>     Hi Everyone,
>     I am trying to build a function to rewrite and AST. I have and AST
>     which is designed to represent a computation graph. I will present a
>     simplified version here designed to illustrate the problem. I have
>     tried numerous ways of rewriting it including uniplate, recursion
>     and Edward Kmett's implementation of plate in his lens package.
>     My AST is defined using GADTs as follows:
>     class (ReflectDescriptor a, Typeable a, Wire a) => ProtoBuf a
>     data Expression a b where
>        OpenTable :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table -> Expression () b
>        OpenFile :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String -> Expression () b
>        WriteFile :: (Typeable a, ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String ->
>     Expression a b -> Expression b ()
>        WriteTable :: (Typeable a, ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table ->
>     Expression a b -> Expression b ()
>        Map :: (ProtoBuf a, ProtoBuf b, ProtoBuf c) => Int -> (a -> b) ->
>     Expression c a -> Expression a b
>        LocalMerge :: (ProtoBuf a) => Int -> [Expression c a] ->
>     Expression c a
>     The user can create code inside a Monad Transformer like so:
>     q <- query $ do
>               table <- openTable myTable
>               transform <- map someFunc table
>               writeTable otherTable transform
>     As part of this language the compiler I am building would need to
>     for instance transform OpenTable into a series OpenFile nodes with a
>     LocalMerge to merge the results together.
>     So uniplate cannot work over GADTs if I recall correctly.
>     I exchanged emails with Edward and he explained that for the lens
>     case I would need something like an indexed lens family from his
>     indexed package which is not implemented yet but which may be in the
>     future.
>     The issue with recursion is that as you recurse through the AST the
>     a b on the Expression change and GHC cannot compile it because it
>     wants the a b to be the same on each recursive call.
>     My question to the Haskell community is how might one develop AST
>     rewriting functionality. One possible solution is stripping the
>     types away from GHC and doing all the type checking myself. That
>     doesn't seem very good.
>     Another possibility that I have looked at was using hoopl. It seems
>     very compatible given that it is built for describing and optimizing
>     data flow which I am doing however the learning curve looks quite
>     steep. I have been reluctant so far to invest the time in it.
>     Has anyone developed something similar? What recommendations do you
>     have?
>     Thanks.
>     Steve
>     _______________________________________________
>     Haskell-Cafe mailing list
>     Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org <mailto:Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org>
>     http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Sean Leather | 21 Nov 15:10 2012

Re: AST Rewriting

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Emil Axelsson wrote:
This is one of the problem Syntactic aims to solve, but it requires you to use a different representation of expressions (for good or bad). If you want to keep your existing representation, then you have to use a generic programming library that supports GADTs. I know at least the Spine approach supports GADTs, but the library on Hackage seems too incomplete to be useful:

Just a comment on this library (since I put it up there). Yes, it is incomplete. It's only been used for students in a course. It is not intended for practical use.

Even if it were complete, the Type datatype is closed, meaning the library cannot be extended to support new types, which probably won't necessarily be that useful to you. The spine view works nicely as a model of SYB but not so nicely as a library for generic programming.

Regards,
Sean
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Steve Severance | 21 Nov 20:08 2012

Re: AST Rewriting

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am not wedded to GADTs or really anything else. I am going to give the syntactic library a shot over the next few days and see if I can hack something together.

Thanks again for the papers and libraries.

Steve

On 11/20/12 6:21 PM, Steve Severance wrote:
class (ReflectDescriptor a, Typeable a, Wire a) => ProtoBuf a

data Expression a b where
  OpenTable :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> Table -> Expression () b
  OpenFile :: (ProtoBuf b) => Int -> String -> Expression () b
  LocalMerge :: (ProtoBuf a) => Int -> [Expression c a] -> Expression c a
We can implement a version of the compos operator like so:

compos :: forall m c d. (forall a. a -> m a) -> (forall a b. m (a -> b) -> m a -> m b)
           -> (forall e f. Expression e f -> m (Expression e f)) -> Expression c d -> m (Expression c d)
compos ret app f v =
        case v of
          OpenTable i t -> ret (OpenTable i t)
          OpenFile i s  -> ret (OpenFile i s)
          Map i g e -> ret (Map i g) `app` f e
          WriteFile i s e -> ret (WriteFile i s) `app` f e
          WriteTable i t e -> ret (WriteTable i t) `app` f e
          LocalMerge i es -> ret (LocalMerge i) `app` mapm f es
    where
        mapm :: forall g h. (Expression g h  -> m (Expression g h)) -> [Expression g h] -> m [Expression g h]
        mapm g = foldr (app . app (ret (:)) . g) (ret [])

Then, with this in hand, we get all the usual compos variants:

composOp ::  (forall a b. Expression a b -> Expression a b) -> Expression c d -> Expression c d
composOp f = runIdentity . composOpM (Identity . f)

composOpM :: (Monad m) => (forall a b. Expression a b -> m (Expression a b)) -> Expression c d -> m (Expression c d)
composOpM = compos return ap

composOpM_ :: (Monad m) => (forall a b. Expression a b -> m ()) -> Expression c d -> m ()
composOpM_ = composOpFold (return ()) (>>)

composOpFold :: b -> (b -> b -> b) -> (forall c d. Expression c d -> b) -> Expression e f -> b
composOpFold z c f = unC . compos (\_ -> C z) (\(C x) (C y) -> C (c x y)) (C . f)
newtype C b a = C { unC :: b }

See Bringert and Ranta's "A Pattern for Almost Compositional Functions" for more details: http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/local_75172.pdf

In my experience, compos requires a little work, but it can handle just about any data type or family of data types you throw at it.

(note the twist on compos is just an extra rank 2 type to quantify over the "a" and "b" in "Expression a b". The same rank 2 type lets you write the recursive code almost directly as well [using polymorphic recursion] -- compos is just a nice generic way to avoid writing the boilerplate traversal repeatedly).

Gershom