Magicloud Magiclouds | 24 Nov 08:18 2012
Picon

Is there a tool like ri from ruby?

RI is a very easy using tool that search and show the documents of ruby modules/functions, etc.

Using RI, I could get help when programming with a few commands. Quick and simple.
And with RI backend (libs), I could also simply integrate ri to my IDE (like one hotkey to show function summary).

So I am wondering if there is such thing in Haskell world. I know haddock saves the .haddock files in document folder. But I do not know if there is any existing tools to index and view them.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Tikhon Jelvis | 24 Nov 08:32 2012
Picon

Re: Is there a tool like ri from ruby?

Have you tried Hoogle? I know you can install it locally and use it from GHCi or Emacs. I'm not familiar with ri, but from your description I think a local Hoogle would serve the same purpose with the added benefit of being able to search by types.

Here's the wiki page about it: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle

RI is a very easy using tool that search and show the documents of ruby modules/functions, etc.
Using RI, I could get help when programming with a few commands. Quick and simple.
And with RI backend (libs), I could also simply integrate ri to my IDE (like one hotkey to show function summary).

So I am wondering if there is such thing in Haskell world. I know haddock saves the .haddock files in document folder. But I do not know if there is any existing tools to index and view them.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

John Wiegley | 26 Nov 02:21 2012

Re: Is there a tool like ri from ruby?

> Have you tried Hoogle? I know you can install it locally and use it from
> GHCi or Emacs. I'm not familiar with ri, but from your description I think a
> local Hoogle would serve the same purpose with the added benefit of being
> able to search by types.

> Here's the wiki page about it: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle

See also:

    http://newartisans.com/2012/09/running-a-fully-local-hoogle/

With this setup I can use ":doc head" in my ghci sessions, and see docs very
similar to what ri would show.

John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting
http://fpcomplete.com               johnw on #haskell/irc.freenode.net
Magicloud Magiclouds | 26 Nov 04:22 2012
Picon

Re: Is there a tool like ri from ruby?

Thank you two. I have got it working. Compared to ri, I think:

The pro is I could find the package that I want even I do not know it.
The con is I'd have to manually update its data.