Jeff Shaw | 27 Nov 05:19 2012

Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Hello,
I've run into an issue that makes me think that when the GHC GC runs
while a Snap or Warp HTTP server is serving connections, the GC prevents
or delays TCP connections from forming. My application requires that TCP
connections form within a few tens of milliseconds. I'm wondering if
anyone else has run into this issue, and if there are some GC flags that
could help. I've tried a few, such as -H and -c, and haven't found
anything to help. I'm using GHC 7.4.1.

Thanks,
Jeff
Ertugrul Söylemez | 27 Nov 07:14 2012

Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I've run into an issue that makes me think that when the GHC GC runs
> while a Snap or Warp HTTP server is serving connections, the GC
> prevents or delays TCP connections from forming. My application
> requires that TCP connections form within a few tens of milliseconds.
> I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and if there are
> some GC flags that could help. I've tried a few, such as -H and -c,
> and haven't found anything to help. I'm using GHC 7.4.1.

When you compile with -threaded and run on multiple threads, then the
runtime uses parallel GC.  Did you try that?

Greets,
Ertugrul

Not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and
(not to be or to be and ... that is the list monad.
Gregory Collins | 27 Nov 10:45 2012

Re: Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

GHC has a "stop the world" garbage collector, meaning that while major
GC is happening, the entire process must be halted. In my experience
GC pause times are typically low, but depending the heap residency
profile of your application (and the quantity of garbage being
produced by it), this may not be the case. If you have a hard
real-time requirement then a garbage-collected language may not be
appropriate for you.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've run into an issue that makes me think that when the GHC GC runs while a
> Snap or Warp HTTP server is serving connections, the GC prevents or delays
> TCP connections from forming. My application requires that TCP connections
> form within a few tens of milliseconds. I'm wondering if anyone else has run
> into this issue, and if there are some GC flags that could help. I've tried
> a few, such as -H and -c, and haven't found anything to help. I'm using GHC
> 7.4.1.
> Thanks,
> Jeff
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>
Johan Tibell | 27 Nov 15:37 2012

Re: Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Kazu and Andreas, could this be IO manager related?

On Monday, November 26, 2012, Jeff Shaw wrote:

Hello,
I've run into an issue that makes me think that when the GHC GC runs while a Snap or Warp HTTP server is serving connections, the GC prevents or delays TCP connections from forming. My application requires that TCP connections form within a few tens of milliseconds. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and if there are some GC flags that could help. I've tried a few, such as -H and -c, and haven't found anything to help. I'm using GHC 7.4.1.

Thanks,
Jeff

timothyhobbs | 27 Nov 16:55 2012

Re: Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Could you give us more info on what your constraints are?  Is it necessary that you have a certain number of connections per second, or is it necessary that the connection results very quickly after some other message is received?

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com>
Datum: 27. 11. 2012
Předmět: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Kazu and Andreas, could this be IO manager related?

On Monday, November 26, 2012, Jeff Shaw wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Shaw | 27 Nov 20:02 2012

Hello Timothy and others,
One of my clients hosts their HTTP clients in an Amazon cloud, so even
when they turn on persistent HTTP connections, they use many
connections. Usually they only end up sending one HTTP request per TCP
connection. My specific problem is that they want a response in 120 ms
or so, and at times they are unable to complete a TCP connection in that
amount of time. I'm looking at on the order of 100 TCP connections per
second, and on the order of 1000 HTTP requests per second (other clients
do benefit from persistent HTTP connections).

Once each minute, a thread of my program updates a global state, stored
in an IORef, and updated with atomicModifyIORef', based on query results
via HDBC-obdc. The query results are strict, and atomicModifyIORef'
should receive the updated state already evaluated. I reduced the amount
of time that query took from tens of seconds to just a couple, and for
some reason that reduced the proportion of TCP timeouts drastically. The
approximate before and after TCP timeout proportions are 15% and 5%. I'm
not sure why this reduction in timeouts resulted from the query time
improving, but this discovery has me on the task of removing all
database code from the main program and into a cron job. My best guess
is that HDBC-odbc somehow disrupts other communications while it waits
for the DB server to respond.

To respond to Ertugrul, I'm compiling with -threaded, and running with
+RTS -N.

I hope this helps describe my problem. I c an probably come up with some
hard information if requested, E.G. threadscope.

Jeff

On 11/27/2012 10:55 AM, timothyhobbs <at> seznam.cz wrote:
> Could you give us more info on what your constraints are?  Is it
> necessary that you have a certain number of connections per second, or
> is it necessary that the connection results very quickly after some
> other message is received?
Jason Dagit | 27 Nov 20:17 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Timothy and others,

Have you read section 8.4.2 of the ghc user guide? http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.4.1/html/users_guide/ffi-ghc.html

Based on that I would check the FFI imports in your database library. In the best case (-threaded, 'safe', and thread-safe odbc), I think you'll find that N of these can run concurrently, but here your number of requests is likely to be much greater than N (where N is the number of threads the RTS created with +RTS -N).

I'm not sure how to solve your problem, but perhaps this information can help you pinpoint the problem.

Good luck,
Jason
Jason Dagit | 27 Nov 20:18 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Timothy and others,

Ahem, I meant *8.2.4*.

Gershom Bazerman | 27 Nov 20:45 2012

On 11/27/12 2:17 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Based on that I would check the FFI imports in your database library.
> In the best case (-threaded, 'safe', and thread-safe odbc), I think
> you'll find that N of these can run concurrently, but here your number
> of requests is likely to be much greater than N (where N is the number
> of threads the RTS created with +RTS -N).
HDBC-odbc has long used the wrong type of FFI imports, resulting in
long-running database queries potentially blocking all other IO. I just
checked, and apparently a patch was made to the repo in September that
finally fixes this [1], but apparently a new release has yet to be
uploaded to hackage. In any case, if you try to install it from the
repo, this may at least solve some of your problems.

[1]

--Gershom
Jeff Shaw | 27 Nov 22:45 2012

On 11/27/2012 2:45 PM, Gershom Bazerman wrote:
> HDBC-odbc has long used the wrong type of FFI imports, resulting in
> long-running database queries potentially blocking all other IO. I
> just checked, and apparently a patch was made to the repo in September
> that finally fixes this [1], but apparently a new release has yet to
> be uploaded to hackage. In any case, if you try to install it from the
> repo, this may at least solve some of your problems.
> [1]
> --Gershom
Gershom, Thanks for pointing this out. I've checked out the latest
hdbc-odbc code, and I'll see if there's an improvement.

Jeff
Nicolas Wu | 27 Nov 22:59 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 2:45 PM, Gershom Bazerman wrote:
>> HDBC-odbc has long used the wrong type of FFI imports, resulting in
>> long-running database queries potentially blocking all other IO. I just
>> checked, and apparently a patch was made to the repo in September that
>> finally fixes this [1], but apparently a new release has yet to be uploaded
>> to hackage. In any case, if you try to install it from the repo, this may at
>> least solve some of your problems.
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/hdbc/hdbc-odbc/commit/7299d3441ce2e1d5a485fe79b37540c0a44a44d4
>> --Gershom
> Gershom, Thanks for pointing this out. I've checked out the latest hdbc-odbc
> code, and I'll see if there's an improvement.

Hi, I'm the maintainer of HDBC. I haven't yet released this code since
it hasn't yet been fully tested. However, if you're happy with it,
I'll push the version with proper ffi bindings up to Hackage.

Nick
Jeff Shaw | 28 Nov 21:36 2012

On 11/27/2012 4:59 PM, Nicolas Wu wrote:
> Hi, I'm the maintainer of HDBC. I haven't yet released this code since
> it hasn't yet been fully tested. However, if you're happy with it,
> I'll push the version with proper ffi bindings up to Hackage. Nick
Nick,
I pulled the latest version of HDBC-odbc, and it appears to be working
MUCH better than before. I now have 0% timeouts from httperf with 50
connections/second and timeout set to 0.1 seconds. It's looking like the
safe imports vastly improved IO blocking. I haven't seen any new
problems since the new version went live.

Jeff
Nicolas Wu | 28 Nov 23:05 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 4:59 PM, Nicolas Wu wrote:
> I pulled the latest version of HDBC-odbc, and it appears to be working MUCH
> better than before. I now have 0% timeouts from httperf with 50
> connections/second and timeout set to 0.1 seconds. It's looking like the
> safe imports vastly improved IO blocking. I haven't seen any new problems
> since the new version went live.

That's great to hear! I'll aim to push this version to Hackage over the weekend.

Nick
Neil Davies | 28 Nov 10:21 2012

Jeff

Are you certain that all the delay can be laid at the GHC runtime?

top index page) increase by 150ms.

Neil

On 27 Nov 2012, at 19:02, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Timothy and others,
 o respond.
> To respond to Ertugrul, I'm compiling with -threaded, and running with +RTS -N.
> I hope this helps describe my problem. I c an probably come up with some hard information if requested, E.G. threadscope.
> Jeff
> On 11/27/2012 10:55 AM, timothyhobbs <at> seznam.cz wrote:
>> Could you give us more info on what your constraints are?  Is it necessary that you have a certain number of
message is received?
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Alexander Kjeldaas | 28 Nov 15:44 2012

Re: Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Jeff, this is somewhat off topic, but interesting.  Are "telehouse" and AWS physically close?  Was this latency increase not expected due to geography?

Alexander

On 28 November 2012 06:21, Neil Davies <semanticphilosopher <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Jeff

Are you certain that all the delay can be laid at the GHC runtime?

How much of the end-to-end delay budget is being allocated to you? I recently moved a static website from a 10-year old server in telehouse into AWS in Ireland and watched the access time (HTTP GET to check time on top index page) increase by 150ms.

Neil

On 27 Nov 2012, at 19:02, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Timothy and others,
> One of my clients hosts their HTTP clients in an Amazon cloud, so even when they turn on persistent HTTP connections, they use many connections. Usually they only end up sending one HTTP request per TCP connection. My specific problem is that they want a response in 120 ms or so, and at times they are unable to complete a TCP connection in that amount of time. I'm looking at on the order of 100 TCP connections per second, and on the order of 1000 HTTP requests per second (other clients do benefit from persistent HTTP connections).
> Once each minute, a thread of my program updates a global state, stored in an IORef, and updated with atomicModifyIORef', based on query results via HDBC-obdc. The query results are strict, and atomicModifyIORef' should receive the updated state already evaluated. I reduced the amount of time that query took from tens of seconds to just a couple, and for some reason that reduced the proportion of TCP timeouts drastically. The approximate before and after TCP timeout proportions are 15% and 5%. I'm not sure why this reduction in timeouts resulted from the query time improving, but this discovery has me on the task of removing all database code from the main program and into a cron job. My best guess is that HDBC-odbc somehow disrupts other communications while it waits for the DB server to respond.
> Jeff
> On 11/27/2012 10:55 AM, timothyhobbs <at> seznam.cz wrote:
>> Could you give us more info on what your constraints are?  Is it necessary that you have a certain number of connections per second, or is it necessary that the connection results very quickly after some other message is received?
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Neil Davies | 29 Nov 00:32 2012

No - the difference is 6.5ms each way

On 28 Nov 2012, at 14:44, Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Alexander

Jeff

Are you certain that all the delay can be laid at the GHC runtime?

Neil

On 27 Nov 2012, at 19:02, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Timothy and others,
> Once each minute, a thread of my program updates a global state, stored in an IORef, and updated with atomicModifyIORef', based on query results via HDBC-obdc. The query results are strict, and atomicModifyIORef' should receive the updated state already evaluated. I reduced the amount of time that query took from tens of seconds to just a couple, and for some reason that reduced the proportion of TCP timeouts drastically. The approximate before and after TCP timeout proportions are 15% and 5%. I'm not sure why this reduction in timeouts resulted from the query time improving, but this discovery has me on the task of removing all database code from the main program and into a cron job. My best guess is that HDBC-odbc somehow disrupts other communications while it waits for the DB serve r to respond.
> Jeff
> On 11/27/2012 10:55 AM, timothyhobbs <at> seznam.cz wrote:
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Bryan O'Sullivan | 30 Nov 19:29 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Incidentally, what kind of database are you talking to? Issues of FFI correctness aside, HDBC is in general terribly slow compared to some of the more DB-specific bindings.
Jeff Shaw | 1 Dec 04:08 2012

On 11/30/2012 1:29 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Shaw <shawjef3 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

I'm connecting to a MS SQL Server 2008 R2 DBMS via Free TDS.