Christopher Howard | 15 Dec 04:52 2012

edge: compile testing

Hey guys, to teach myself Haskell I wrote a little arcade game called
The Edge, built on gloss. It is in hackage under the package name
"edge". Are there a few kind souls who would be willing to compile it on
their machines and let me know if there are any problems at the
compiling level? In the past, I've had issues with Haskell code
compiling fine on my development system but not on others (due to
dependency-related issues). I want to double check this before I try to
make any distro-specific packages.

I developed with GHC 7.4 and cabal-install 1.16.0.2 on a Gentoo system.
Requires OpenGL and OpenAL (for sound).

cabal update && cabal install edge

frigidcode.com

Clark Gaebel | 15 Dec 05:05 2012

Re: edge: compile testing

The OpenAL bindings aren't building for me on GHC 7.6:

Sound/OpenAL/ALC/QueryUtils.hs:66:1:
    Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration: ALCdevice
    When checking declaration:
      foreign import ccall unsafe "static alcGetString" alcGetString
        :: ALCdevice -> ALCenum -> IO (Ptr ALCchar)

Sound/OpenAL/ALC/QueryUtils.hs:102:1:
    Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration: ALCdevice
    When checking declaration:
      foreign import ccall unsafe "static alcGetIntegerv" alcGetIntegerv
        :: ALCdevice -> ALCenum -> ALCsizei -> Ptr ALCint -> IO ()

Sound/OpenAL/ALC/QueryUtils.hs:120:1:
    Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration: ALCdevice
    When checking declaration:
      foreign import ccall unsafe "static alcIsExtensionPresent" alcIsExtensionPresent_
        :: ALCdevice -> Ptr ALCchar -> IO ALCboolean
Failed to install OpenAL-1.4.0.1

--
frigidcode.com

Christopher Howard | 15 Dec 07:16 2012

Re: edge: compile testing

On 12/14/2012 07:05 PM, Clark Gaebel wrote:
> Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration

Thanks for giving it a try. Could you send off a bug report to the
OpenAL Haskell module maintainer? <sven.panne <at> aedion.de>

(I might offer to do it, but I tried to e-mail him once about a
different issue and never heard back. Probably didn't make it through
his spam filter.)

frigidcode.com

Artyom Kazak | 15 Dec 10:47 2012
Picon

Re: edge: compile testing

Compiled just fine on my machine.

Ubuntu 12.10, Haskell Platform 2012.2.0.0, GHC 7.4.2, cabal-install
1.16.0.1.

Christopher Howard <christopher.howard <at> frigidcode.com> писал(а) в своём
письме Sat, 15 Dec 2012 06:52:22 +0300:

> Hey guys, to teach myself Haskell I wrote a little arcade game called
> The Edge, built on gloss. It is in hackage under the package name
> "edge". Are there a few kind souls who would be willing to compile it on
> their machines and let me know if there are any problems at the
> compiling level? In the past, I've had issues with Haskell code
> compiling fine on my development system but not on others (due to
> dependency-related issues). I want to double check this before I try to
> make any distro-specific packages.
>
> I developed with GHC 7.4 and cabal-install 1.16.0.2 on a Gentoo system.
> Requires OpenGL and OpenAL (for sound).
>
> cabal update && cabal install edge

John Lato | 17 Dec 01:36 2012
Picon

Re: edge: compile testing

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard <at> frigidcode.com>

On 12/14/2012 07:05 PM, Clark Gaebel wrote:
> Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration

Thanks for giving it a try. Could you send off a bug report to the
OpenAL Haskell module maintainer? <sven.panne <at> aedion.de>

(I might offer to do it, but I tried to e-mail him once about a
different issue and never heard back. Probably didn't make it through
his spam filter.)

I think Sven's been incommunicado for a few years now.  Most likely somebody else will need to step forward as the OpenAL maintainer, if there's interest in keeping that package current.

John L.