Radical | 19 Dec 17:56 2012
Picon

Hoogle index completeness

Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro
Petr P | 19 Dec 18:06 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Radical | 19 Dec 18:28 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Thanks, Petr.

I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the +hackage modifier mentioned.)

Is there interest in either of these things happening?

Alvaro

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Petr P <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Alberto G. Corona | 19 Dec 18:42 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Hayoo has them all:

I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the +hackage modifier mentioned.)

Is there interest in either of these things happening?

Alvaro

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Petr P <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Alberto.
Alberto G. Corona | 19 Dec 18:44 2012

--
Alberto.
Johannes Waldmann | 19 Dec 23:50 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

> Hayoo has them all [ .. ]

but Hoogle is better with types?

it seems Hayoo only does exact (string?) match on types,
while Hoogle also knows about polymorphisms, permutations etc.

E.g., search for "String -> Int".
Hoogle finds length :: [a]-> Int  as well,
I think Hayoo doesn't.

J.W.
Joachim Breitner | 19 Dec 21:12 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 19.12.2012, 12:28 -0500 schrieb Radical:
> I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing
> efforts to expand the default search set?

if Michael Snoyman’s  stackage will fly, I’d that would be a good
candidate for a default set.

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail <at> joachim-breitner.de  |  nomeata <at> debian.org  |  GPG: 0x4743206C
  xmpp: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Carlos López Camey | 20 Dec 15:23 2012

2012/12/19 Joachim Breitner <mail <at> joachim-breitner.de>:
> if Michael Snoyman’s  stackage will fly, I’d that would be a good
> candidate for a default set.

+10
Jan Stolarek | 20 Dec 09:37 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

> I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts
> to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the
> +hackage modifier mentioned.)
It's actually implemented as +nameOfLibrary. Hoogling for "rstrip +missingh" gives:

rstrip :: String -> String
MissingH Data.String.Utils
Same as strip, but applies only to the right side of the string.

Janek
Radical | 21 Dec 03:11 2012
Picon

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Thanks for the suggestion, Jan. Is there a way to include all of hackage?

Alvaro

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts
> to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the
> +hackage modifier mentioned.)
It's actually implemented as +nameOfLibrary. Hoogling for "rstrip +missingh" gives:

rstrip :: String -> String
MissingH Data.String.Utils
Same as strip, but applies only to the right side of the string.

Janek

Jan Stolarek | 21 Dec 08:19 2012

Dnia piątek, 21 grudnia 2012, Radical napisał:
> Thanks for the suggestion, Jan. Is there a way to include all of hackage?
Sorry, I don't know any way of doing this.

Janek