Eugene Kirpichov | 7 Jan 07:05 2013
Picon

Weird problem: Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal"

Hi,

A friend of mine is trying to install my "timeplotters" (see email signature).
He's getting a weird error: one of the tools installs fine but the other one fails with the error "Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal""; curiously, so does running "cabal install cabal-install".

Even more curiously, hashable 1.2.0.0 does not appear anywhere in the list of dependencies, even indirect. Look:

$ cabal -v3 install cabal-install
searching for ghc in path.
found ghc at /usr/bin/ghc
("/usr/bin/ghc",["--numeric-version"])
/usr/bin/ghc is version 7.0.3
looking for tool "ghc-pkg" near compiler in /usr/bin
found ghc-pkg in /usr/bin/ghc-pkg
("/usr/bin/ghc-pkg",["--version"])
/usr/bin/ghc-pkg is version 7.0.3
("/usr/bin/ghc",["--supported-languages"])
("/usr/bin/ghc",["--info"])
Reading installed packages...
("/usr/bin/ghc-pkg",["dump","--global","-v2"])
("/usr/bin/ghc-pkg",["dump","--user","-v2"])
("/usr/bin/ghc",["--print-libdir"])
Reading available packages...
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal"

He's using haskell platform on Ubuntu 12.04.
$ ghc —version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.3
$ cabal —version
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library

He *did* try erasing ~/.cabal, ~/.ghc and /usr/lib/ghc and then reinstalling haskell-platform package - it didn't change anything. He doesn't remember ever having Haskell installed before, but that can't be completely ruled out.

I just tried installing a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 onto a VM and I did not have this problem that he has.

What additional information can I ask him for? Maybe somebody already encountered this problem?

(Actually, I have a whole strace cabal install cabal-install, but it's 33Mb - I can upload it somewhere if it could be helpful).

--
Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

Re: Weird problem: Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal"

The curious thing about that strace is that it doesn't ever attempt to open hashable.cabal - in fact, it isn't attempting to open *any* .cabal file whatsoever before failing!
So I'm totally confused as to why cabal might be complaining that it can't open hashable.cabal.

Re: Weird problem: Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal"

A friend of mine is trying to install my "timeplotters" (see email signature).
He's getting a weird error: one of the tools installs fine but the other one fails with the error "Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal""; curiously, so does running "cabal install cabal-install".

That's a symptom of too old cabal-install that crashes when it encounters certain newer cabal file features.  I believe you need to upgrade cabal-install manually (since cabal-install itself will crash trying to do so...).

It's not opening a cabal file directly, it is trying to parse entries in the compressed package list.