Magicloud Magiclouds | 15 Jan 06:06 2013
Picon

How to disable document in .cabal file?

Hi,
  I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document every time I installed libraries or so.
  But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Albert Y. C. Lai | 15 Jan 23:45 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

On 13-01-15 12:06 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>    I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document
> every time I installed libraries or so.
>    But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on
> generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?

If "cabal install": add --disable-documentation.
See also "cabal install --help".

If "cabal configure" and "cabal build" etc: nothing to do, just omit
"cabal haddock".
Magicloud Magiclouds | 16 Jan 03:10 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project? Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....

   I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document
every time I installed libraries or so.
   But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on
generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?

If "cabal install": add --disable-documentation.
See also "cabal install --help".

If "cabal configure" and "cabal build" etc: nothing to do, just omit "cabal haddock".

竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 16 Jan 03:16 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

On 16 January 2013 13:10, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
> Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....

Well, it's an option for the cabal-install tool, not for the Cabal build system.

Note that you don't need to use this parameter every time you build
your project, only every time you configure it (so if you don't change
the .cabal file much and just tend to build it as you hack on it you
don't need the extra params).

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla <at> vex.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-01-15 12:06 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>>>
>>>    I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document
>>> every time I installed libraries or so.
>>>    But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on
>>> generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?
>>

>> If "cabal install": add --disable-documentation.
>> See also "cabal install --help".
>>
>> If "cabal configure" and "cabal build" etc: nothing to do, just omit
>> "cabal haddock".

> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Magicloud Magiclouds | 16 Jan 03:26 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

The problem is, I enabled it in ~/.cabal/config file. So by default, when I install, it build the document.
Sorry I used "build" term, by which I meant install....

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On 16 January 2013 13:10, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
> Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....

Well, it's an option for the cabal-install tool, not for the Cabal build system.

Note that you don't need to use this parameter every time you build
your project, only every time you configure it (so if you don't change
the .cabal file much and just tend to build it as you hack on it you
don't need the extra params).

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla <at> vex.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-01-15 12:06 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>>>
>>>    I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document
>>> every time I installed libraries or so.
>>>    But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on
>>> generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?
>>

>> If "cabal install": add --disable-documentation.
>> See also "cabal install --help".
>>
>> If "cabal configure" and "cabal build" etc: nothing to do, just omit
>> "cabal haddock".

> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 16 Jan 03:29 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

On 16 January 2013 13:26, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is, I enabled it in ~/.cabal/config file. So by default, when I
> install, it build the document.
> Sorry I used "build" term, by which I meant install....

How often do you install that this is a problem?

If you install more without documentation, disable it in your
~/.cabal/config file, and use --enable-documentation when you actually
want it.

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 January 2013 13:10, Magicloud Magiclouds
>> <magicloud.magiclouds <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
>> > Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....
>>
>> Well, it's an option for the cabal-install tool, not for the Cabal build
>> system.
>>
>> Note that you don't need to use this parameter every time you build
>> your project, only every time you configure it (so if you don't change
>> the .cabal file much and just tend to build it as you hack on it you
>> don't need the extra params).

>> > --
>> > 竹密岂妨流水过
>> > 山高哪阻野云飞
>> >
>> > And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

>> --
>> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
>> Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
>> http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
>

> --
> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Albert Y. C. Lai | 16 Jan 06:51 2013

On 13-01-15 09:10 PM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
> Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....

The param is for "cabal install" only. So don't use "cabal install".

cabal configure  # may be skipped usually
cabal build
cabal copy

If your project is a library (as opposed to an executable): add
cabal register

Why this is not controlled in project.cabal: The author of the project
should not control whether users build docs or not.

P.S. Ivan, --enable-documentation and --disable-documentation are not
even valid flags to "cabal configure".
Magicloud Magiclouds | 16 Jan 09:26 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

Never noticed copy command. Let me see....

So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....

The param is for "cabal install" only. So don't use "cabal install".

cabal configure  # may be skipped usually
cabal build
cabal copy

If your project is a library (as opposed to an executable): add
cabal register

Why this is not controlled in project.cabal: The author of the project should not control whether users build docs or not.

P.S. Ivan, --enable-documentation and --disable-documentation are not even valid flags to "cabal configure".

竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Erik Hesselink | 16 Jan 08:57 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

You could do what I do: create an alias in bash. I have in my ~/.bashrc:

alias ciq='cabal install --disable-documentation
--disable-library-profiling --disable-executable-profiling'

The alias 'ciq' stands for 'cabal install quick' and disables things I
don't need during development, but do slow down the build.

Regards,

Erik

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> So the only way is to use param every time I build this certain project?
> Really hoping I could disable it in project.cabal ....
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla <at> vex.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-01-15 12:06 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>>>
>>>    I have enabled document in .cabal/config, so I could get document
>>> every time I installed libraries or so.
>>>    But when I compile my own applications, it also takes time on
>>> generating non-exist documents. How to disable it just for this project?
>>

>> If "cabal install": add --disable-documentation.
>> See also "cabal install --help".
>>
>> If "cabal configure" and "cabal build" etc: nothing to do, just omit
>> "cabal haddock".

> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

Magicloud Magiclouds | 16 Jan 09:27 2013
Picon

Re: How to disable document in .cabal file?

That is pretty much the way I do now. Just curious if there is another way....