Richard Cobbe | 27 Jan 16:07 2013

Where did the Cabal manual go?

I'm not able to access the cabal manual today: links to my local copy and
links to the copy at haskell.org result in a 404.

I'm running the Haskell Platform, 2012.4.0.0, 64-bit, OS X 10.8.2.  On my
first attempt this morning, I loaded file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html
in my browser and clicked on the "Cabal" link.  The browser can't find
file:///Library/Haskell/doc/ghc-doc/Cabal/index.html, and indeed the
directory /Library/Haskell/doc/ghc-doc/Cabal doesn't exist.

Ok, I think, so my local copy's gotten corrupted.  One "sudo
/Library/Haskell/bin/uninstall-hs --remove thru 7.4.2" and reinstall later,
I try again; no change.  I also can't find any docs by doing
  find /Library/Haskell -iname \*cabal\*
  find /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework -iname \*cabal\*
either.

I also get a 404 when I click on the "Cabal" link from
<http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/start.html>.

I can probably recover a copy from system backups, but what's going on?

Richard
Felipe Almeida Lessa | 27 Jan 18:47 2013
Picon

Re: Where did the Cabal manual go?

Do you mean the Cabal User Guide?
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Richard Cobbe <cobbe <at> ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> I'm not able to access the cabal manual today: links to my local copy and
> links to the copy at haskell.org result in a 404.
>
> I'm running the Haskell Platform, 2012.4.0.0, 64-bit, OS X 10.8.2.  On my
> first attempt this morning, I loaded file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html
> in my browser and clicked on the "Cabal" link.  The browser can't find
> file:///Library/Haskell/doc/ghc-doc/Cabal/index.html, and indeed the
> directory /Library/Haskell/doc/ghc-doc/Cabal doesn't exist.
>
> Ok, I think, so my local copy's gotten corrupted.  One "sudo
> /Library/Haskell/bin/uninstall-hs --remove thru 7.4.2" and reinstall later,
> I try again; no change.  I also can't find any docs by doing
>   find /Library/Haskell -iname \*cabal\*
>   find /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework -iname \*cabal\*
> either.
>
> I also get a 404 when I click on the "Cabal" link from
> <http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/start.html>.
>
> I can probably recover a copy from system backups, but what's going on?
>
> Richard

> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
(Continue reading)

Richard Cobbe | 27 Jan 19:48 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 03:47:38PM -0200, Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
> Do you mean the Cabal User Guide?
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/

Yes, that's it, and I'm in the process of downloading a copy now (so I can
work without a WiFi connection).

I'm still curious about why there's a broken link on
<http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/start.html>, and what on
earth I did to delete the copy of the user's guide that used to be on my
hard drive as part of the Haskell Platform installation (or, worse, what
was silently done on my behalf).  It's possible I missed a notification
that this was happening, but I certainly don't remember seeing anything to
that effect.

Richard
Richard Cobbe | 27 Jan 20:09 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 01:48:06PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 03:47:38PM -0200, Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
> > Do you mean the Cabal User Guide?
> > http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/
>
> Yes, that's it, and I'm in the process of downloading a copy now (so I can
> work without a WiFi connection).

By the way, if the Cabal users guide is no longer to be packaged with the
Haskell Platform, can I suggest adding a link to
http://www.haskell.org/cabal that would allow folks to download a tgz with
the HTML docs, much as is provided for Happy and Alex?  As it is, one has
to download 4 html files and a css file and hope that's everything.

Richard

Gmane