Ross Paterson | 7 Feb 15:08 2013

arrow notation

I'd like to hear from anyone who's using arrow notation as supported by GHC,
because I'm planning a couple of changes to parts of it.
Conal Elliott | 7 Feb 23:49 2013

Hi Ross,

I make some use of arrow notation, though sadly I often have to avoid it because my (pseudo-)"arrows" don't have arr. I'd love to see a variant that has restricted expressiveness in exchange for arr-freeness.

-- Conal

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Ross Paterson <ross <at> soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
I'd like to hear from anyone who's using arrow notation as supported by GHC,
because I'm planning a couple of changes to parts of it.

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Julian Blake Kongslie | 8 Feb 00:02 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 02:49:40PM -0800, Conal Elliott wrote:
> Hi Ross,
> I make some use of arrow notation, though sadly I often have to avoid it
> because my (pseudo-)"arrows" don't have arr. I'd love to see a variant that
> has restricted expressiveness in exchange for arr-freeness.

Are you familiar with Adam Megacz's "Generalized Arrows" work?

(I, too, would love to see Arrows-without-arr in Haskell)

> -- Conal

-Julian Blake Kongslie <jblake <at> omgwallhack.org>
If this is a mailing list, please CC me on replies.

vim: set ft=text :
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Ross Paterson | 8 Feb 02:41 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 02:49:40PM -0800, Conal Elliott wrote:
> I make some use of arrow notation, though sadly I often have to avoid
> it because my (pseudo-)"arrows" don't have arr. I'd love to see a
> variant that has restricted expressiveness in exchange for arr-freeness.

It's hard to imagine arrow notation without arr (or at least
contravariance in the first argument of the "arrow") because forming
expressions using the local environment is so central to it.  That is,
I can't imagine what things you are trying to write in that situation.
Conal Elliott | 9 Feb 20:57 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Ross Paterson <ross <at> soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 02:49:40PM -0800, Conal Elliott wrote:
> I make some use of arrow notation, though sadly I often have to avoid
> it because my (pseudo-)"arrows" don't have arr. I'd love to see a
> variant that has restricted expressiveness in exchange for arr-freeness.

It's hard to imagine arrow notation without arr (or at least
contravariance in the first argument of the "arrow") because forming
expressions using the local environment is so central to it.  That is,
I can't imagine what things you are trying to write in that situation.

What I have in mind is a small collection of methods including fst & snd (and similarly for sums) that could be defined via arr but could instead form the basis of translating restricted arrow notation for (pseudo-)arrows that don't support arr.

I keep running into these pseudo-arrows in practical work. The reliance of arrow notation on arr means that I can't use arrow notation, and my code is terribly difficult to read.

-- Conal
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Petr Pudlák | 10 Feb 21:28 2013

2013/2/9 Conal Elliott <conal <at> conal.net>

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Ross Paterson <ross <at> soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

It's hard to imagine arrow notation without arr (or at least
contravariance in the first argument of the "arrow") because forming
expressions using the local environment is so central to it.  That is,
I can't imagine what things you are trying to write in that situation.

I also support this idea, I'd appreciate such a generalization.

As an example, where it would be useful: One of my students was working on a (very nice) project where he used Haskell as a DSL for generating a FRP-like javascript code.  The arrow notation without "arr" would be ideal for this situation. He couldn't implement "arr" as it would require to translate an arbitrary Haskell function to JS. So having a more general variant of "Arrow" without "arr" and with a collection of methods sufficient for the arrow notation would be quite helpful. (I wonder what methods would have to be included in the collection.)

Best regards,
Petr Pudlak

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Ross Paterson | 11 Feb 16:45 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 09:28:12PM +0100, Petr Pudlák wrote:
> 2013/2/9 Conal Elliott <conal <at> conal.net> wrote:
> > What I have in mind is a small collection of methods including fst & snd
> > (and similarly for sums) that could be defined via arr but could instead
> > form the basis of translating restricted arrow notation for (pseudo-)arrows
> > that don't support arr.
> I also support this idea, I'd appreciate such a generalization.
> As an example, where it would be useful: One of my students was working on a
> (very nice) project where he used Haskell as a DSL for generating a FRP-like
> javascript code.  The arrow notation without "arr" would be ideal for this
> situation. He couldn't implement "arr" as it would require to translate an
> arbitrary Haskell function to JS. So having a more general variant of "Arrow"
> without "arr" and with a collection of methods sufficient for the arrow
> notation would be quite helpful. (I wonder what methods would have to be
> included in the collection.)

Let's try to break this down.  Suppose we split

arr :: forall b c. (b -> c) -> a b c

into two primitives

(^>>) :: forall b c d. (b -> c) -> a c d -> a b d
  id :: forall b. a b b

The contravariant functor (^>>) is essential to arrow notation, but I
suspect the issue is the universally quantified b in the type of id (or
equivalently returnA).  One might instead use a variant of id constrained
to an ADT with just the operations you want.
Ross Paterson | 8 Feb 16:17 2013

Re: arrow notation

The proposed changes are described here:

Ertugrul Söylemez | 11 Feb 00:27 2013

Ross Paterson <ross <at> soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'd like to hear from anyone who's using arrow notation as supported
> by GHC, because I'm planning a couple of changes to parts of it.

I'm making heavy use of arrow notation, so I'd like to propose a set of
small improvements, not only syntactical.

## Ignored input values

Many computations ignore their input value.  You can recognize them by
their type:  If the input type is fully polymorphic and the output type
is unrelated, the computation cannot use its input value.  In that case
it would make sense to just pass whatever is the cheapest thing you
could pass without requiring me to spell it out:

comp1 :: Arr a Int
    comp2 :: Arr a Double

Before:

proc x1 -> do
        x2 <- comp1 -< x1
        x3 <- comp2 -< x2
        id -< (x2, x3)

After:

proc _ -> do
        x1 <- comp1
        x2 <- comp2
        id -< (x1, x2)

Then the arrow notation compiler could just pass whatever is most
convenient at that spot.  In this case it would just compose with
'&&&':

comp1 &&& comp2

## returnA

We don't need it anymore, and it has quite a stupid definition.  Get rid
of it in favor of 'id'.

## Operators

I often need to mix regular arguments with computation arguments in
banana notation:

let f c = f' x y c z
    (| f (comp -< v) |)

Since parentheses are required for computation arguments you could relax
the syntax to allow regular arguments in simple cases as well:

(| f' x y (comp -< v) z |)

## PreArrow

All sensible arrows form a family of functors:

instance (Arrow a) => Functor (a b) where
        fmap f = (arr f .)

But they do more:  Every arrow is a profunctor as defined in the
'profunctors' package:

instance (Arrow a) => Profunctor a where
        lmap f = (. arr f)
        rmap = fmap

That's just what you called PreArrow, so there is no need to reinvent
the wheel.  Get Profunctor into base.

## Applicative

One of the main bottlenecks of arrows is the heavy tuple handling, but
most (if not all) arrows form a family of applicative functors.  I
noticed a huge speedup by moving from arrow style to applicative style
where possible:

liftA2 (+) (lmap f c) (fmap g d)

is often much faster than:

arr (uncurry (+)) . (c . arr f &&& arr g . d)

Besides being more readable it sometimes improved the performance of my
code by an order of magnitude.  So perhaps check to see if the category
forms an applicative functor.  If it does, you can get along without
Arrow entirely.

In fact I propose to generalize all the Arrow* classes to Category*
classes.  The ultimate goal is to get rid of arrows.  We don't really
need them anymore.  I'd rather like to see SHE's idiom brackets in
Haskell and use a more lightweight syntax for stuff like ArrowChoice and
ArrowLoop (or CategoryChoice and CategoryLoop), although I don't yet
know what it would look like.

Greets,
Ertugrul

Not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and
(not to be or to be and ... that is the list monad.
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Ross Paterson | 11 Feb 03:30 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:27:15AM +0100, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:
> I'm making heavy use of arrow notation, so I'd like to propose a set of
> small improvements, not only syntactical.
> ## Ignored input values
> Many computations ignore their input value.  You can recognize them by
> their type:  If the input type is fully polymorphic and the output type
> is unrelated, the computation cannot use its input value.  In that case
> it would make sense to just pass whatever is the cheapest thing you
> could pass without requiring me to spell it out:
>     comp1 :: Arr a Int
>     comp2 :: Arr a Double
> Before:
>     proc x1 -> do
>         x2 <- comp1 -< x1
>         x3 <- comp2 -< x2
>         id -< (x2, x3)
> After:
>     proc _ -> do
>         x1 <- comp1
>         x2 <- comp2
>         id -< (x1, x2)
> Then the arrow notation compiler could just pass whatever is most
> convenient at that spot.  In this case it would just compose with
> '&&&':
>     comp1 &&& comp2

Inspection of types is not allowed with GHC's constraint-based
type checker, which rules out things like this.

> ## returnA
> We don't need it anymore, and it has quite a stupid definition.  Get rid
> of it in favor of 'id'.

It would be reasonable to redefine returnA = id

> ## Operators
> I often need to mix regular arguments with computation arguments in
> banana notation:
>     let f c = f' x y c z
>     (| f (comp -< v) |)

This wouldn't be legal if f was defined inside the proc.  If the arguments
come from outside the proc, you could write (permuting the arguments)

(| (f x y z) (comp -< v) |)

If they're defined inside the proc, you'd have something like

(| f (comp -< v) |) x y z

> ## PreArrow
> All sensible arrows form a family of functors:
>     instance (Arrow a) => Functor (a b) where
>         fmap f = (arr f .)
> But they do more:  Every arrow is a profunctor as defined in the
> 'profunctors' package:
>     instance (Arrow a) => Profunctor a where
>         lmap f = (. arr f)
>         rmap = fmap
> That's just what you called PreArrow,

Not so: every arrow has lmap and rmap, but not everything that has an
lmap also has an rmap.

> ## Applicative
> One of the main bottlenecks of arrows is the heavy tuple handling, but
> most (if not all) arrows form a family of applicative functors.  I
> noticed a huge speedup by moving from arrow style to applicative style
> where possible:
>     liftA2 (+) (lmap f c) (fmap g d)
> is often much faster than:
>     arr (uncurry (+)) . (c . arr f &&& arr g . d)
> Besides being more readable it sometimes improved the performance of my
> code by an order of magnitude.  So perhaps check to see if the category
> forms an applicative functor.  If it does, you can get along without
> Arrow entirely.
> In fact I propose to generalize all the Arrow* classes to Category*
> classes.

That sounds reasonable.  It's convenient to use simpler classes instead
of Arrow where possible, but it's not always possible.
Ertugrul Söylemez | 11 Feb 11:30 2013

Ross Paterson <ross <at> soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Many computations ignore their input value.  You can recognize them
> > by their type:  [...]
> Inspection of types is not allowed with GHC's constraint-based type
> checker, which rules out things like this.

Too bad.  Would it be possible to get rid of "-< ()"?

> > ## returnA
> > We don't need it anymore, and it has quite a stupid definition.  Get
> > rid of it in favor of 'id'.
> It would be reasonable to redefine returnA = id

Yes, that would be a good start.  For many applications using 'id'
instead of 'arr id' gives a huge performance boost.  In my particular
case (I'm doing wire-based FRP (WFRP)) I often start with a complex
"sum" network of categorical computations:

c1 . c2 <|> c3 . c4 . (c5 <|> c6) <|> c7

The distinguishing feature of WFRP, what makes it so fast, is that you
can get rid of complexity by recognizing 'id' and 'empty' when they pop
up.  The component computations can "morph" into them over time, for
example

for 3

is identity-like for three seconds and then switches to 'empty'.  You
can recognize and discard entire subnetworks quickly.

> > ## Operators
> > I often need to mix regular arguments with computation arguments in
> > banana notation:
> >     let f c = f' x y c z
> >     (| f (comp -< v) |)
> This wouldn't be legal if f was defined inside the proc.  If the
> arguments come from outside the proc, you could write (permuting the
> arguments)
>      (| (f x y z) (comp -< v) |)
> If they're defined inside the proc, you'd have something like
>      (| f (comp -< v) |) x y z

Of course, and that's the inconvenient part.  You have to write wrapper
functions.  It would be nice, if the bananas would consider
unparenthesized expressions as regular arguments.

> > ## PreArrow
> > All sensible arrows form a family of functors:
> >     instance (Arrow a) => Functor (a b) where
> >         fmap f = (arr f .)
> > But they do more:  Every arrow is a profunctor as defined in the
> > 'profunctors' package:
> >     instance (Arrow a) => Profunctor a where
> >         lmap f = (. arr f)
> >         rmap = fmap
> > That's just what you called PreArrow,
> Not so: every arrow has lmap and rmap, but not everything that has an
> lmap also has an rmap.

I see.  You want to get rid of 'arr' altogether.  On one hand that is
desirable.  On the other hand for arrows lmap and rmap are equivalent.
You can define 'arr' given 'lmap':

arr f = lmap f id

From that you can define fmap.  This leads to the conclusion that as
soon as the arrow notation does more than simple composition you need a
functor anyway.

> > ## Applicative
> > One of the main bottlenecks of arrows is the heavy tuple handling,
> > but most (if not all) arrows form a family of applicative functors.
> > I noticed a huge speedup by moving from arrow style to applicative
> > style where possible:
> >     liftA2 (+) (lmap f c) (fmap g d)
> > is often much faster than:
> >     arr (uncurry (+)) . (c . arr f &&& arr g . d)
> > Besides being more readable it sometimes improved the performance of
> > my code by an order of magnitude.  So perhaps check to see if the
> > category forms an applicative functor.  If it does, you can get
> > along without Arrow entirely.
> > In fact I propose to generalize all the Arrow* classes to Category*
> > classes.
> That sounds reasonable.  It's convenient to use simpler classes
> instead of Arrow where possible, but it's not always possible.

The idea is this:  If there are both Arrow and Applicative instances
(can you check this?), the arrow notation could use applicative
combinators instead of arrowic ones where possible:

proc x' -> do
        f <- comp1 -< x'
        x <- comp2 -< x'
        comp3 -< f x

If this is possible, arrow notation would likely rewrite it to

comp3 . ((\f x -> f x) <$> comp1 <*> comp2)

and, as a nice bonus, recognize that \f x -> f x is really just id and
optimize the fmap away:

comp3 . (comp1 <*> comp2)

The pattern is:  A computation composed of subcomputations where each of
them takes the same arrow variable as input.  The corresponding arrow
version is unnecessarily expensive because of the tuple wrapping and
unwrapping,

comp3 . arr (\(f, x) -> f x) . comp1 &&& comp2

whereas the applicative version is really straightforward and fast.

Greets,
Ertugrul

Not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and (not to be or to be and
(not to be or to be and ... that is the list monad.
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
dag.odenhall@gmail.com | 11 Feb 15:20 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Ertugrul Söylemez <es <at> ertes.de> wrote:
The idea is this:  If there are both Arrow and Applicative instances
(can you check this?), the arrow notation could use applicative
combinators instead of arrowic ones where possible:

I wonder if maybe this could be done with rewrite rules rather than on the syntax level?
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Petr Pudlák | 11 Feb 09:32 2013

2013/2/11 Ertugrul Söylemez <es <at> ertes.de>
...
## Applicative

One of the main bottlenecks of arrows is the heavy tuple handling, but
most (if not all) arrows form a family of applicative functors.  I
noticed a huge speedup by moving from arrow style to applicative style
where possible:

liftA2 (+) (lmap f c) (fmap g d)

is often much faster than:

arr (uncurry (+)) . (c . arr f &&& arr g . d)

Besides being more readable it sometimes improved the performance of my
code by an order of magnitude.  So perhaps check to see if the category
forms an applicative functor.  If it does, you can get along without
Arrow entirely.

I've been reading Idioms are oblivious, arrows are meticulous, monads are promiscuous recently, and if I understand it correctly, an arrow forms an applicative functor if it's possible to define a delaying operation on it, which separates the arrow's effect from its computation:

class Arrow a => ArrowDelay a where
        delay :: a b c -> a () (b -> c)

-- Definable for any arrow:
    force :: Arrow a => a () (b -> c) -> a b c
    force af = (,) () ^>> first af >>^ uncurry ($)

and satisfying `force . delay = id = delay . force`.
While the implementation of Applicative can be defined without actually using `delay`:

newtype ArrowApp a b c = ArrowApp (a b c)

instance Arrow a => Functor (ArrowApp a b) where
        fmap f (ArrowApp a) = ArrowApp (a >>^ f)
    instance ArrowDelay a => Applicative (ArrowApp a b) where
        pure x =
            ArrowApp $ arr (const x)
        (ArrowApp af) <*> (ArrowApp ax) =
            ArrowApp $ (af &&& ax) >>^ uncurry ($)

I believe it only satisfies the laws only if the arrow satisfies delay/force laws.

Perhaps it would be convenient to have ArrowDelay and the corresponding conversions included in the library so that defining and using Applicative instances for arrows would become more straightforward.

Best regards,
  Petr Pudlak

Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Ertugrul Söylemez | 11 Feb 11:45 2013

Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

>     class Arrow a => ArrowDelay a where
>         delay :: a b c -> a () (b -> c)
>     force :: Arrow a => a () (b -> c) -> a b c
> Perhaps it would be convenient to have ArrowDelay and the
> corresponding conversions included in the library so that defining and
> using Applicative instances for arrows would become more
> straightforward.

I appreciate the idea from a theoretical standpoint, but you don't
actually have to define an ArrowDelay instance for the notation to work.
The compiler can't check the laws anyway.

Greets,
Ertugrul

Key-ID: E5DD8D11 "Ertugrul Soeylemez <es <at> ertes.de>"
FPrint: BD28 3E3F BE63 BADD 4157  9134 D56A 37FA E5DD 8D11
Keysrv: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Petr Pudlák | 12 Feb 10:59 2013

2013/2/11 Ertugrul Söylemez <es <at> ertes.de>
Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

>     class Arrow a => ArrowDelay a where
>         delay :: a b c -> a () (b -> c)
>     force :: Arrow a => a () (b -> c) -> a b c
> Perhaps it would be convenient to have ArrowDelay and the
> corresponding conversions included in the library so that defining and
> using Applicative instances for arrows would become more
> straightforward.

I appreciate the idea from a theoretical standpoint, but you don't
actually have to define an ArrowDelay instance for the notation to work.
The compiler can't check the laws anyway.

That's true. But I'm afraid that without the ArrowDelay constraint people would think that every arrow forms an applicative functor and eventually get into hard-to-trace problems with failing the applicative laws.

The compiler can't check the laws, so somebody else has to. Should it be users of an arrow or its authors?

Without the constraint, the burden would be on the users: "Before using the applicative instance, check if the arrow is really an applicative functor". That's something users of a library aren't supposed to do."

With the constraint, the burden would be on the authors of the arrow - they'd have to define the instance and be responsible for satisfying the laws. I feel this is more appropriate.

Best regards,
  Petr Pudlak
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
Ross Paterson | 12 Feb 15:12 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:32:25AM +0100, Petr Pudlák wrote:
> While the implementation of Applicative can be defined without actually using
> `delay`:
>     newtype ArrowApp a b c = ArrowApp (a b c)
>     instance Arrow a => Functor (ArrowApp a b) where
>         fmap f (ArrowApp a) = ArrowApp (a >>^ f)
>     instance ArrowDelay a => Applicative (ArrowApp a b) where
>         pure x =
>             ArrowApp $ arr (const x)
>         (ArrowApp af) <*> (ArrowApp ax) =
>             ArrowApp $ (af &&& ax) >>^ uncurry ($)
> I believe it only satisfies the laws only if the arrow satisfies delay/force
> laws.

This is a reader, which always satisfies the applicative laws.
What ArrowDelay does is pick out the arrows that are equivalent to
the static arrow, i.e. F(b->c), of some applicative functor F.