Ning Wang | 11 Feb 09:53 2013

[Announcement] HsLlvm v0.1: Using Hoopl to optimize LLVM Code

Hi all,

It is my dream for years to be able to manipulate LLVM in type safe
language. I has explored the possibility of reimplementing LLVM in
Haskell with Hoopl and made a small step to realize this dream. I am
writing to announce the release of HsLlvm v0.1, which is a pure Haskell
implementation (Not LLVM C++ binding) of LLVM. It is available through
the link below.

https://github.com/mlite/HsLlvm

Hightlight of this release:
- Support LLVM 3.1 syntax
- LLVM normalization
- Dominator, mem2reg, DCE passes

Project goals:
- port all LLVM optimizations
- provide functionalities to generate and manipulate LLVM code.

Since LLVM is a complex IR and there are many sophisticated
optimizations, this job won't be easy.  Your contribution would be of
value to eventually achieve this goal.

Cheers,
Ning
Alejandro Serrano Mena | 11 Feb 12:13 2013
Picon

Re: [Announcement] HsLlvm v0.1: Using Hoopl to optimize LLVM Code

Hi,
This seems a fantastic job!

Do you have any plan to support LLVM -> target phase, or do you know any project doing something similar?

Thanks in advance.

[...]

Ning Wang | 12 Feb 06:37 2013

Re: [Announcement] HsLlvm v0.1: Using Hoopl to optimize LLVM Code

My focus is on

- Providing util to support developing LLVM->LLVM transformation
- Providing EDSL to generate LLVM code (I'm thinking of something like alphaHeavy's LLVM combinators)

I'm not aware of other effort to do native code generation from LLVM in Haskell.

You can build them with HsLlvm, if there is a need to support your work, please let me know.  I believe the new GHC code generator is based on Hoopl, you might get inspiration from it.

Cheers,
Ning

[...]

Carter Schonwald | 12 Feb 08:33 2013
Picon

Re: [Announcement] HsLlvm v0.1: Using Hoopl to optimize LLVM Code

Hey Ning,
impressive start and I look forward to seeing how this evolves!

best
-Carter