David Turner | 12 Feb 11:45 2013

Problem installing cabal-dev

Hi,

 From a clean install of Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0 (on Windows) I have 
issued just:

 > cabal update
 > cabal install cabal-install
 > cabal install cabal-dev

The last command fails with:

Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed:
tar-0.3.2.0 (new package)
transformers-0.2.2.0 (new version)
mtl-2.0.1.0 (new version)
parsec-3.1.3 (reinstall) changes: mtl-2.1.2 -> 2.0.1.0
network-2.3.2.0 (new version)
HTTP-4000.2.8 (new version)
cabal-dev-0.9.1 (new package)
cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
network-2.3.1.0
haskell-platform-2012.4.0.0
cgi-3001.1.7.4
HTTP-4000.2.5
Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.

I *think* the problem is that cabal-dev has these dependencies:

       mtl >= 1.1 && < 2.1,
(Continue reading)

JP Moresmau | 12 Feb 11:59 2013
Picon

Re: Problem installing cabal-dev

Hello David, what I did is get cabal-dev from source (git clone git://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev.git). This build fine, the upper bounds have been edited. Hopefully the new version will be released soon.

JP


On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM, David Turner <d.turner <at> tracsis.com> wrote:
Hi,

From a clean install of Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0 (on Windows) I have issued just:

> cabal update
> cabal install cabal-install
> cabal install cabal-dev

The last command fails with:

Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed:
tar-0.3.2.0 (new package)
transformers-0.2.2.0 (new version)
mtl-2.0.1.0 (new version)
parsec-3.1.3 (reinstall) changes: mtl-2.1.2 -> 2.0.1.0
network-2.3.2.0 (new version)
HTTP-4000.2.8 (new version)
cabal-dev-0.9.1 (new package)
cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
network-2.3.1.0
haskell-platform-2012.4.0.0
cgi-3001.1.7.4
HTTP-4000.2.5
Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.


I *think* the problem is that cabal-dev has these dependencies:

      mtl >= 1.1 && < 2.1,
      transformers >= 0.2 && < 0.3,

where the latest version of mtl and transformers are 2.1.2 and 0.3 respectively. At least, if I download the latest cabal-dev package and relax those upper bounds I can get it to install.

The irony is, of course, that I'm trying to install cabal-dev to get me out of a totally unrelated dependencies hole!

What should I do now?

Cheers,

--
David Turner
Senior Consultant
Tracsis PLC

Tracsis PLC is a company registered in
England and Wales with number 5019106.

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe



--
JP Moresmau
http://jpmoresmau.blogspot.com/
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
David Turner | 13 Feb 10:07 2013

Re: Problem installing cabal-dev

On 12/02/2013 10:59, JP Moresmau wrote:
> Hello David, what I did is get cabal-dev from source (git clone
> git://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev.git
> <http://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev.git>). This build fine, the upper
> bounds have been edited. Hopefully the new version will be released soon.

Thanks, good to hear.

With a bit of digging I've also managed to find and fix the upper bound 
that was causing my other dependency problem - priority-queue can depend 
on containers < 0.5 rather than < 0.4.

I've been in touch with the maintainer, James Cook, who says (a) he'll 
try and get round to releasing a new version with this upper bound 
relaxed, and (b) there are more specialised implementations of priority 
queues these days that will be more performant, so I should prefer those.

Cheers,

--

-- 
David Turner
Senior Consultant
Tracsis PLC

Tracsis PLC is a company registered in
England and Wales with number 5019106.
Bob Ippolito | 12 Feb 12:00 2013

Re: Problem installing cabal-dev

The version of cabal-dev on Hackage doesn't work with recent versions of Haskell due to https://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev/issues/74 - You have to install from a recent git checkout.

These instructions were done on Mac but should be straightforward enough to do the same on Windows:



On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:45 AM, David Turner <d.turner <at> tracsis.com> wrote:
Hi,

From a clean install of Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0 (on Windows) I have issued just:

> cabal update
> cabal install cabal-install
> cabal install cabal-dev

The last command fails with:

Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed:
tar-0.3.2.0 (new package)
transformers-0.2.2.0 (new version)
mtl-2.0.1.0 (new version)
parsec-3.1.3 (reinstall) changes: mtl-2.1.2 -> 2.0.1.0
network-2.3.2.0 (new version)
HTTP-4000.2.8 (new version)
cabal-dev-0.9.1 (new package)
cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
network-2.3.1.0
haskell-platform-2012.4.0.0
cgi-3001.1.7.4
HTTP-4000.2.5
Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.


I *think* the problem is that cabal-dev has these dependencies:

      mtl >= 1.1 && < 2.1,
      transformers >= 0.2 && < 0.3,

where the latest version of mtl and transformers are 2.1.2 and 0.3 respectively. At least, if I download the latest cabal-dev package and relax those upper bounds I can get it to install.

The irony is, of course, that I'm trying to install cabal-dev to get me out of a totally unrelated dependencies hole!

What should I do now?

Cheers,

--
David Turner
Senior Consultant
Tracsis PLC

Tracsis PLC is a company registered in
England and Wales with number 5019106.

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Gmane