yi huang | 16 Feb 17:58 2013
Picon

What magic has the new IO manager done to improve performance ?

I' m curious about the design and trade offs behind the new IO manager. I see two changes from the code:

1. Run IO manager thread on each capability.
2. Use ONESHOT flag to save a system call.

Is there other interesting things to know?
Is it possible to use epoll's ET mode to save even more system calls?

--
http://yi-programmer.com/
Johan Tibell | 16 Feb 19:23 2013

Re: What magic has the new IO manager done to improve performance ?

Hi,

I' m curious about the design and trade offs behind the new IO manager. I see two changes from the code:

1. Run IO manager thread on each capability.
2. Use ONESHOT flag to save a system call.

Is there other interesting things to know?
Is it possible to use epoll's ET mode to save even more system calls?

 Andreas and Kazu (CCed) would know more. In addition to the things you mentioned then parallel I/O manager also uses lock striping and is smarter bout when it makes blocking system calls.