Jan Stolarek | 18 Feb 00:03 2013

Maintaining lambdabot

Hi all,

as some of you may have noticed Lambdabot doesn't build on GHC 7.6.1 due to OldException being
removed (and a few other changes). I updated the code so that it builds on latest GHC release.
The updated code is available here:

It builds on Linux, but I am not 100% certain that it will build on Windows. If it doesn't I will
be grateful for reporting this (and any other) issues on the bug tracker:

The changes required to make the code run weren't as small as I initially thought they will be. In
some places this resulted in a bit ugly code, but aside from that I think that everything should
work correctly.

Now I would like to do a bit of maintanance on the project, since the code is a bit of a mess and
it could use some cleanup. My plans are:

- clean up the package namespace by placing existing modules in Lambdabot module
- integrate lambdabot-utils into lambdabot (already done)
- reformat the code so that it's easier to read

ans if time allows:

- cleanup some messy code
- update the package dependencies so that lambdabot relies on maintained libraries (e.g. I thought
about replacing readline with haskeline).

Cale Gibbard | 18 Feb 05:53 2013

On 17 February 2013 18:03, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> ...
> This changes would be quite invasive and code wouldn't be compatible with the lambdabot repo on
> haskell.org. So before I start making any of them I would like to hear from the community if such
> changes in the source code of lambdabot would be  considered helpful and acceptable.
> Janek

I say go for it! I'll be quite happy to start running your new code in
#haskell as soon as we get GHC 7.6 installed on Jason's Linode
account. :)

- Cale
Jason Dagit | 18 Feb 18:57 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Cale Gibbard <cgibbard <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On 17 February 2013 18:03, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> ...
> changes in the source code of lambdabot would be  considered helpful and acceptable.
> Janek

I say go for it! I'll be quite happy to start running your new code in
#haskell as soon as we get GHC 7.6 installed on Jason's Linode
account. :)

My name is Jason and I endorse this message :)

Jason
Jan Stolarek | 19 Feb 11:00 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

I'm happy to hear your approval.

The list I made is avaliable on github:

any kind of release.

If anyone is willing to help please contact me via email or comments on github.

Janek

P.S. The development is done in the 'upstream' branch
James Cook | 19 Feb 17:58 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

For what it's worth, I also have a fork of lambdabot[1] I've been using for quite a while now, which may
provide a cleaner starting point.  In particular, it updates the plugin and command API to be (IMO) quite a
bit cleaner and easier to use and understand.  It could probably use some attention to security in the eval
module (I've relaxed it quite a bit because I only run it on a private IRC server), but it also includes a lot
of fixes and updates to other modules.

[1] https://github.com/mokus0/lambdabot

On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:00 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:

> I'm happy to hear your approval.
> I've spent some time yesterday cleaning up the code and writing down all things that do not work.
> The list I made is avaliable on github:
> https://github.com/killy9999/lambdabot/issues
> There are 17 open issues at the moment and I know I will not have enough time to resolve all of
> them on my own. There are a few blockers, so the current code is definitely not yet suitable for
> any kind of release.
> With all that said I would appreciate help of the community :-) There's a lot to do and the tasks
> vary in difficulty: from updating documentation and fixing unused imports to fixing exceptions.
> If anyone is willing to help please contact me via email or comments on github.
> Janek
> P.S. The development is done in the 'upstream' branch
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Jan Stolarek | 19 Feb 23:36 2013

https://github.com/serialhex/dice ?

Anyway, how would you feel about changes that I would like to make:
- move all modules into Lambdabot. namespace
here - these packages aren't even used in the build process.
- cleanup scripts
- add package versions to cabal file

This is mostly code refactoring.

Janek
James Cook | 19 Feb 23:41 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

Sorry, I uploaded it this morning since I knew it wasn't there (it's the "dice" repo from my github account,
mokus0).  Have you run "cabal update" in the last 4 or 5 hours?

On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:

> Wow, this indeed looks like a nice starting point, though I can't build lambdabot from your repo -
> seems that dice package is not on Hackage. Is this the package that you rely on:
> https://github.com/serialhex/dice ?
> Anyway, how would you feel about changes that I would like to make:
> - move all modules into Lambdabot. namespace
> - remove unlambda, brainfuck and show from the repo. They are on hackage, no need to keep them
> here - these packages aren't even used in the build process.
> - cleanup scripts
> - add package versions to cabal file
> This is mostly code refactoring.
> Janek
Gwern Branwen | 19 Feb 23:46 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

> here - these packages aren't even used in the build process.

Where will they go?

gwern
Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 08:13 2013

Dnia wtorek, 19 lutego 2013, Gwern Branwen napisał:
> > - remove unlambda, brainfuck and show from the repo. They are on hackage,
> > no need to keep them here - these packages aren't even used in the build
> > process.
> Where will they go?
These packages are already on hackage:

No need to keep them in the lambdabot repo.

Janek

Twan van Laarhoven | 20 Feb 15:48 2013

On 20/02/13 08:13, Jan Stolarek wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 19 lutego 2013, Gwern Branwen napisał:
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
>>> - remove unlambda, brainfuck and show from the repo. They are on hackage,
>>> no need to keep them here - these packages aren't even used in the build
>>> process.
>> Where will they go?
> These packages are already on hackage:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/brainfuck
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/show
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/unlambda
> No need to keep them in the lambdabot repo.

They are in the lambdabot *repository*, but in separate hackage packages. Are
you suggesting that the source code of these packages is moved out to their own
darcs repositories?

Twan

Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 18:59 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

> Are you suggesting that the source code of these packages is moved out to
> their own darcs repositories?
between community members.

Janek
Gwern Branwen | 20 Feb 19:16 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> Exactly. This allows to use and develop these packages independently of lambdabot and I consider
> that a Good Thing. I'm also much in favor of using git, because github allows easy collaboration
> between community members.

It may be a good thing, but speaking as the de facto maintainer of
lambdabot for the past few years, it's a very small good thing and the
goodness may be outweighed by the costs of switching: hardly anyone
ever sends in patches for lambdabot proper, and even fewer for those
add-on runtime dependencies.

I am reminded of a recent incident on the XMonad mailing list: an
enthusiastic young member proposed changing the entire infrastructure
to Github because Github is the new hotness and it would surely
promote easy collaboration between community members and so on and so
forth. He put in a bunch of work in making copies and converting repos
etc, and... nothing happened. His effort was wasted. Turns out the
reason for people not submitting patches had more to do with things
besides not being hosted on Github.

gwern
Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 19:35 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

> goodness may be outweighed by the costs of switching:
Could you specify what are those "cost of switching"?

> Turns out the
> reason for people not submitting patches had more to do with things
> besides not being hosted on Github.
Of course. I don't clain this is the reason for people not submitting patches. All I say is that I
consider git+github to be a much easier platform for collaboration than darcs. I think many
people would agree.

Janek
Dan Burton | 20 Feb 20:10 2013

My 2 cents:

Switching to github: +0.1
Splitting into core & contrib: +1

Okay I suppose that is more like 1.1 cents.

I would love to help maintain lambdabot and help brush off the bitrot, but am personally quite overextended so I can't really promise any amount of dedication for at least the next few weeks. I can promise to occasionally throw my opinion around as if it mattered, though. ;)

-- Dan Burton

Gwern Branwen | 20 Feb 20:19 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> Gwern, and what do you think about James' fork of lambdabot? It seems that there was a lot of work
> put into it and that this is indeed a good starting point to continue development.

I haven't looked at the diffs; if as he says the security around the
evaluation has been weakened, that's a deal-breaker until it's fixed.
lambdabot can't be insecure since it will be run in a public IRC.

gwern
Jason Dagit | 15 Mar 07:08 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't looked at the diffs; if as he says the security around the
evaluation has been weakened, that's a deal-breaker until it's fixed.
lambdabot can't be insecure since it will be run in a public IRC.

I absolutely agree. There are sandboxing things we can do around the lambdabot instance, but Haskell has a lot of opportunities for statically disallowing questionable things. I would like to start our defense there and add layers around that.

My real reason for reviving this thread: Can I get a status update, please?

Thanks,
Jason
James Cook | 15 Mar 17:19 2013

On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> My real reason for reviving this thread: Can I get a status update, please?

Sure.  I don't have as much time as I'd like these days for open-source projects, but with Jan's help the code
has been cleaned up quite a bit in general, and a lot of old bit-rot has been fixed.  I have not specifically

Basically, security is currently a bit "DIY".  If there are any holes, they are probably quite subtle
because there are very, very few moving parts on lambdabot's side.  mueval and Safe Haskell are used to
on.  So all packages installed on the system are available for the interpreted code (if imported using a
command such as " <at> let import Foo.Bar"), as long as Safe Haskell permits.  This is the main potential
Currently, lambdabot trusts such packages.  My intention is to add some commands
packages to explicitly trust, with all others being untrusted.

believe the code do be.

reservations about it.

-- James
Jason Dagit | 15 Mar 22:45 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM, James Cook <mokus <at> deepbondi.net> wrote:
On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> My real reason for reviving this thread: Can I get a status update, please?

Sure.  I don't have as much time as I'd like these days for open-source projects, but with Jan's help the code has been cleaned up quite a bit in general, and a lot of old bit-rot has been fixed.  I have not specifically addressed security yet, but it's not as dire a situation as I think it sounded from my earlier remarks.

Basically, security is currently a bit "DIY".  If there are any holes, they are probably quite subtle because there are very, very few moving parts on lambdabot's side.  mueval and Safe Haskell are used to enforce resource limitations and type-safety, respectively, but -fpackage-trust is not (yet) turned on.  So all packages installed on the system are available for the interpreted code (if imported using a command such as " <at> let import Foo.Bar"), as long as Safe Haskell permits.  This is the main potential security hole - the system may have modules installed and marked "Trustworthy" that the administrator has not explicitly decided whether to trust, and which are not, in fact, as safe as the author asserts.  Currently, lambdabot trusts such packages.  My intention is to add some commands (available only to lambdabot admins) or maybe a static configuration option for managing a list of packages to explicitly trust, with all others being untrusted.

And of course, for a "production" system an OS-enforced sandbox is a great idea no matter how secure you believe the code do be.

Aside from that caveat, I think that the code could be put on hackage today and I'd have few, if any, reservations about it.

Thanks for the update,
Jason
James Cook | 15 Mar 23:30 2013

On Mar 15, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

bug fix for the quotes plugin and I'll send a pull request if I get a chance.

Yep, there is[1].  I'm not sure what the specific bug is that you are referring to, but it's possible it
fortune-mod clone written in Haskell called "misfortune").  If it still does, then of course I'd be happy
to accept a fix :)

[1] https://github.com/mokus0/lambdabot
Jason Dagit | 16 Mar 00:31 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM, James Cook <mokus <at> deepbondi.net> wrote:
On Mar 15, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been following the thread closely. Is there also a github? If so, where? Some of us figured out a bug fix for the quotes plugin and I'll send a pull request if I get a chance.

Yep, there is[1].  I'm not sure what the specific bug is that you are referring to, but it's possible it doesn't exist anymore - a large part of the quotes plugin has been rewritten (actually outsourced to a fortune-mod clone written in Haskell called "misfortune").  If it still does, then of course I'd be happy to accept a fix :)

[1] https://github.com/mokus0/lambdabot

Awesome.

I believe the bug is still there. The type for the quote db is:
type Key    = P.ByteString
type Quotes = M.Map Key [P.ByteString]

Which leaves the possibility that a key exists but there are no quotes. This is problematic for the current version of random. I glanced at your new version and it wasn't clear to me if it's still a problem (I suspect it is). One bandaid for this is to change the lines below:

In both cases "Just qs" could be changed to "Just qs <at> (_:_)" and then empty lists would fall through to the default case.

The other fix is to prune out degenerate entries (where key maps to the empty list). I believe that would be fixed in the serialization function:
moduleSerialize = Just mapListPackedSerial

Changing that to something like:
moduleSerialize = Just mapListPackedSerialSansEmpties
  where
  mapListPackedSerialSansEmpties = mapListPackedSerial { serialize = (serialize mapListPackedSerial) . Map.filter (not.null) }

Perhaps that should be added to the Serial module as an alternative to mapListPackedSerial.

I haven't tested any of the above code (or even tried to compile it).

Jason
Jason Dagit | 16 Mar 01:33 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM, James Cook <mokus <at> deepbondi.net> wrote:
On Mar 15, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

[1] https://github.com/mokus0/lambdabot

Awesome.

I believe the bug is still there. The type for the quote db is:
type Key    = P.ByteString
type Quotes = M.Map Key [P.ByteString]

moduleSerialize = Just mapListPackedSerial

Changing that to something like:
moduleSerialize = Just mapListPackedSerialSansEmpties
  where

I haven't tested any of the above code (or even tried to compile it).

I was going to start making these changes and I noticed that it doesn't currently build with ghc 7.4.1 w/Haskell Platform:

Do you know if the constraints on:
regex-posix-0.95.1
regex-compat-0.95.1

Need to be what they are? Could we relax them without breaking anything?

Jason
James Cook | 16 Mar 16:42 2013

On Mar 15, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know if the constraints on:
> regex-posix-0.95.1
> regex-compat-0.95.1
> Need to be what they are? Could we relax them without breaking anything?

The constraints were added recently, and I believe they were a very conservative estimate based on what
versions were specifically present on Jan's machine at the time.  Almost all of them could probably be relaxed.
James Cook | 21 Mar 01:16 2013

On Mar 15, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Do you know if the constraints on:
regex-posix-0.95.1
regex-compat-0.95.1

Need to be what they are? Could we relax them without breaking anything?

I've relaxed those, along with many others that I think were unnecessarily strict, and it now builds on travis:

-- James

James Cook | 20 Feb 00:01 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:

> Anyway, how would you feel about changes that I would like to make:
> - move all modules into Lambdabot. namespace
> here - these packages aren't even used in the build process.
> - cleanup scripts
> - add package versions to cabal file

main home of these packages.

I tend to prefer not to give package version upper bounds, but that's more of a preference than an objection ;)
Jason Dagit | 20 Feb 06:54 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM, James Cook <mokus <at> deepbondi.net> wrote:
On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:

> Anyway, how would you feel about changes that I would like to make:
> - move all modules into Lambdabot. namespace
> here - these packages aren't even used in the build process.
> - cleanup scripts
> - add package versions to cabal file

I have no objections to any of these, though I would recommend as Gwern hinted that if related packages are to be removed that they should also be given new homes - I believe that the lambdabot source is currently the main home of these packages.

Random thought, feel free to ignore it: Would it make sense to split lambdabot up into core and contrib like is done with xmonad? Contrib could contain the sillier things like bf, unlambda, show, etc and would have a lower bar for contributors. Core would be the standard things and the essential things.

It seems that people don't really contribute new plugins these days but it would be great if they did. For example, having a plugin for liquid types would be super spiffy. Also, any plugin that helps people to reason about other code (like vacuum).

Jason
James Cook | 20 Feb 15:56 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Random thought, feel free to ignore it: Would it make sense to split lambdabot up into core and contrib like

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I could probably do that this weekend if nobody else does sooner.  Any opinion
about whether it's better to put them in the same or separate actual repos?  I've tried both with different
collections of related packages and have no strong opinion, myself.

> It seems that people don't really contribute new plugins these days but it would be great if they did. For
reason about other code (like vacuum).

I suspect there are two big reasons for that.  The biggest reason is probably that lambdabot has been getting
long in the tooth, and the barrier to entry is sorting through a somewhat bit- rotted API with little to no
documentation.  That's why a lot of the work I did to clean it up for myself was API-related.

The other is that there seemed to be, for a long time, no interest in maintaining it.  Several years ago I did
some work on fixing up some plugins, for example, but couldn't get a response from whoever was the current
maintainer (I think it might have been dons, who was probably overextended at the time).

Hopefully the API can be further simplified and documented; if it can be reduced to a few well-documented
"core" modules and a few auxiliary utility/helper ones, that would probably make the educational
barrier to entry quite a bit lower, and I'm happy to maintain the repo or willing to let others do so, so
hopefully we can reduce the social barrier too.  I don't currently have a lot of time to devote to hacking on
it, but I try to be a responsive maintainer of all my projects.

-- James
Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 16:16 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

> Any opinion about whether it's better to put them
> in the same or separate actual repos?
The general rule in git is that a repo should contain a single project. There are some projects
that violate this rule - e.g. cabal stores both Cabal and cabal-install in the same repository -
but with such a setup it is harder to manage commits in case some of them need to be reverted.
I'd say that if we split lambdabot in such a way then core should be one repository and contrib
should be another one (separate). Contrib repository should contain only one package (instead of
bunch of smaller ones).

> couldn't get a response from whoever was the current maintainer
Speaking of which, I think you could become the current maintainer since both Cale and Don agreed
that the project should be maintained and you seem to have done a lot to improve it. Not saying
that you should do all the development, but you could manage releases and uploads to Hackage.

I don't have too much time to spend on this, but I will try to regularly spend 2-3 hours a week on
lambdabot.

Janek
Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 19:03 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

I've catalogued a list of issues on github:

Let me know if you have objections against any of them. If no then I will try to fix them
gradually. Right now a major problem for me are exceptions in Data.Binary, but I don't think I
will be able to fix them.

Janek
Jan Stolarek | 20 Feb 08:21 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

> I have no objections to any of these,
Great. Then I will start making mentioned changes and sending pull requests when I find some free
time.

> though I would recommend as Gwern
> hinted that if related packages are to be removed that they should also be
> given new homes - I believe that the lambdabot source is currently the main
> home of these packages.
OK, now I see. In that case we should create separate repositories for these packages.

> I tend to prefer not to give package version upper bounds
Seconded. I only want to specify lower bounds. I have already determined them so that code builds
on GHC 7.4.2.

contrib like is done with xmonad?
I don't have opinion on this one.

Janek
Dan Burton | 18 Feb 06:35 2013

Re: Maintaining lambdabot

Sounds great. Lambdabot is an important icon to the Haskell community; it will be nice to brush off the bitrot and make lambdabot easier for the average Haskeller to install without having to rely on Cale keeping it running on irc (grateful, though we are).

-- Dan Burton

On Feb 17, 2013 3:04 PM, "Jan Stolarek" <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
Hi all,

The updated code is available here:

be grateful for reporting this (and any other) issues on the bug tracker:

work correctly.

it could use some cleanup. My plans are:

- integrate lambdabot-utils into lambdabot (already done)
- reformat the code so that it's easier to read

ans if time allows:

- cleanup some messy code
about replacing readline with haskeline).

Janek