Roger Mason | 28 Mar 19:08 2013

cabal install pandoc

Hello,

I installed ghc (7.6.2) on an Arch Linux machine.  I'm trying to install
pandoc via cabal but it fails:

Configuring text-0.11.2.3...
Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
package deepseq-1.3.0.1 requires array-0.4.0.1
package text-0.11.2.3 requires array-0.4.0.1
Building text-0.11.2.3...
Preprocessing library text-0.11.2.3...
<command line>: cannot satisfy -package-id
array-0.4.0.1-db49bb8b0087ae85b5875d4c0cc12874
     (use -v for more information)
Failed to install text-0.11.2.3

There are then errors for other packages that depend on 'text' or 'array'.

I will be grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Mark Fredrickson | 28 Mar 19:41 2013
Picon

Re: cabal install pandoc

To side step the issue, Pandoc is available via the ArchHaskell repos (package name `haskell-pandoc`):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines

-M

Roger Mason | 28 Mar 19:52 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc

hello,

On 03/28/2013 04:11 PM, Mark Fredrickson wrote:
> To side step the issue, Pandoc is available via the ArchHaskell repos
> (package name `haskell-pandoc`):
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines
>
> -M

Yes, I know.  I wanted to avoid having a mixture of packages installed
by pacman and others (not available in the repo) installed using cabal.

Thanks,
Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Patrick Wheeler | 28 Mar 23:31 2013
Picon

Re: cabal install pandoc

So I printed off the requirements for pandoc on a empty ghc-7.6.2 install you can find it at:

I do not see any odd package versions listed in what you posted so far.

No promise I will be able to help afterwards but it might help to see the full log, and then again with verbosity turned on. So seperate pastes for:

* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run`
* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=2`
* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=3`

You might also want to run a `ghc-pkg check` to check to see if your packages are consistent/unbroken.

To side step the issue, Pandoc is available via the ArchHaskell repos (package name `haskell-pandoc`):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines

-M

Yes, I know.  I wanted to avoid having a mixture of packages installed by pacman and others (not available in the repo) installed using cabal.

Thanks,
Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php

Patrick Wheeler
Patrick.John.Wheeler <at> gmail.com
Patrick.J.Wheeler <at> rice.edu
Patrick.Wheeler <at> colorado.edu
Roger Mason | 29 Mar 11:35 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc

Thank you for your response.  'ghc-pkg check' shows some problems:

http://pastebin.ca/2344794

On 03/28/2013 08:01 PM, Patrick Wheeler wrote:
> So I printed off the requirements for pandoc on a empty ghc-7.6.2
> install you can find it at:
> http://hpaste.org/84794
>
> I do not see any odd package versions listed in what you posted so far.
>
> No promise I will be able to help afterwards but it might help to see
> the full log, and then again with verbosity turned on. So seperate
> pastes for:
>
> * `cabal install pandoc --dry-run`
> * `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=2`
> * `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=3`
>
> You might also want to run a `ghc-pkg check` to check to see if your
> packages are consistent/unbroken.

'ghc-pkg check' shows some problems:

http://pastebin.ca/2344794

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Brent Yorgey | 31 Mar 21:23 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 08:05:47AM -0230, Roger Mason wrote:
> Thank you for your response.  'ghc-pkg check' shows some problems:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2344794
>
> On 03/28/2013 08:01 PM, Patrick Wheeler wrote:
> >So I printed off the requirements for pandoc on a empty ghc-7.6.2
> >install you can find it at:
> >http://hpaste.org/84794
> >
> >I do not see any odd package versions listed in what you posted so far.
> >
> >No promise I will be able to help afterwards but it might help to
> >see the full log, and then again with verbosity turned on. So
> >seperate pastes for:
> >
> >* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run`
> >* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=2`
> >* `cabal install pandoc --dry-run --verbose=3`
> >
> >You might also want to run a `ghc-pkg check` to check to see if
> >your packages are consistent/unbroken.
> >

> 'ghc-pkg check' shows some problems:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2344794

It looks like your entire Haskell Platform installation is completely
hosed.  Sad to say, but I think your best bet is to simply reinstall
the Haskell Platform.

-Brent
Roger Mason | 1 Apr 12:26 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc

Hello Brent,

On 03/31/2013 04:53 PM, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> It looks like your entire Haskell Platform installation is completely
> hosed.  Sad to say, but I think your best bet is to simply reinstall
> the Haskell Platform.
>
> -Brent

It turned out that there was a stale version of 'array' lurking in the
ghc package db.  In spite of reinstalling ghc it did not go away until I
unregistered it.  I think it was persisting because re-installing ghc
simply unpacked over the old directory leaving that pre-existing file
intact.

'ghc-pkg check' shows no errors and I have successfully installed pandoc
and some other packages.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Albert Y. C. Lai | 2 Apr 04:11 2013
Picon

Re: cabal install pandoc

On 13-04-01 06:26 AM, Roger Mason wrote:
> It turned out that there was a stale version of 'array' lurking in the
> ghc package db.  In spite of reinstalling ghc it did not go away until I
> unregistered it.  I think it was persisting because re-installing ghc
> simply unpacked over the old directory leaving that pre-existing file
> intact.

See my http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml for how does GHC
know or not know what libs you have. In particular, it has very little
to do with files, and clearing GHC is only half the story.

And how to have the same kind of problems recur in the future.
Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 29 Mar 10:17 2013
Picon

Re: cabal install pandoc

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:08:46 +0100, Roger Mason <rmason <at> mun.ca> wrote:

> I installed ghc (7.6.2) on an Arch Linux machine.  I'm trying to install
> pandoc via cabal but it fails:

> Configuring text-0.11.2.3...
> Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
> package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
> package deepseq-1.3.0.1 requires array-0.4.0.1
> package text-0.11.2.3 requires array-0.4.0.1
> Building text-0.11.2.3...
> Preprocessing library text-0.11.2.3...
> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package-id
> array-0.4.0.1-db49bb8b0087ae85b5875d4c0cc12874
>      (use -v for more information)
> Failed to install text-0.11.2.3

I had something similar with Ubuntu (before there was a binary package
available for this platform); I installed several packages, that gave such
message, again. That solved it.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
Haskell programming
--
Roger Mason | 29 Mar 11:43 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc

Hello,

On 03/29/2013 06:47 AM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:08:46 +0100, Roger Mason <rmason <at> mun.ca> wrote:
>
>> I installed ghc (7.6.2) on an Arch Linux machine.  I'm trying to
>> install pandoc via cabal but it fails:

>> Configuring text-0.11.2.3...
>> Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the
>> same
>> package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
>> package deepseq-1.3.0.1 requires array-0.4.0.1
>> package text-0.11.2.3 requires array-0.4.0.1
>> Building text-0.11.2.3...
>> Preprocessing library text-0.11.2.3...
>> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package-id
>> array-0.4.0.1-db49bb8b0087ae85b5875d4c0cc12874
>>      (use -v for more information)
>> Failed to install text-0.11.2.3
>
> I had something similar with Ubuntu (before there was a binary package
> available for this platform); I installed several packages, that gave
> such message, again. That solved it.
>
> Regards,
> Henk-Jan van Tuyl

It appears in my case that cabal may be looking in a strange place for
installed pacckages.  At least, that is how I interpret the output I
just pasted here:
http://pastebin.ca/2344794

Thanks,
Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Roger Mason | 29 Mar 15:26 2013

Re: cabal install pandoc [solved]

Hello,

On 03/29/2013 08:13 AM, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It appears in my case that cabal may be looking in a strange place for
> installed pacckages.  At least, that is how I interpret the output I
> just pasted here:
> http://pastebin.ca/2344794
>
> Thanks,
> Roger
ghc-pkg check showed that there were problems with 'array'. ghc-pkg
unregister and a fresh installation of ghc and cabal-install have fixed
the problem.

Thanks to all who responded.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
Roger Mason | 2 Apr 14:35 2013

Re: Cabal install pandoc

Hello Albert,

On 04/01/2013 11:41 PM, Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> On 13-04-01 06:26 AM, Roger Mason wrote:
>> It turned out that there was a stale version of 'array' lurking in the
>> ghc package db.  In spite of reinstalling ghc it did not go away until I
>> unregistered it.  I think it was persisting because re-installing ghc
>> simply unpacked over the old directory leaving that pre-existing file
>> intact.
>
> See my http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml for how does GHC
> know or not know what libs you have. In particular, it has very little
> to do with files, and clearing GHC is only half the story.
>
> And how to have the same kind of problems recur in the future.
Thank you.  I have read and filed away the article for future
reference.  I guess the best (least error prone) method of installing
ghc and packages is to obtain a binary ghc (outside one's package
manager), build haskell platform and then maintain ghc and packages
outside the distro package manager.

Comments welcome.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php