Alfredo Di Napoli | 30 Mar 14:34 2013
Picon

Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Hi Cafè,

I've tried installing threadscope, but when I run it from console with "threadscope" I get a laconic segmentation fault.
Some info to help the debugging:

* Installed gtk via brew
* gtk-demo runs correctly
* I'm using Mac Os X 10.8.3
* Running gtk and threadscope through a virtual environment (provided by hsenv)
* Using XQuartz 2.7.4

I know it's a bit difficult to debug this way, I can try debugging with gdb if it can help.

Cheers,

A.
John Wiegley | 30 Mar 15:19 2013

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

> I know it's a bit difficult to debug this way, I can try debugging with gdb
> if it can help.

Yes, can you show us a backtrace from gdb, and also look in your CrashReports
log folder to see if it gives a bit more information on the state of the
process at the time it died?

John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting
http://fpcomplete.com               johnw on #haskell/irc.freenode.net
Alfredo Di Napoli | 31 Mar 16:38 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Fair enough :)
Here is the gdb output:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /Users/adinapoli/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.2/bin/threadscope
Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++++++++++++++++....................................................................................................................................................................... done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

I have two hypothesis:

a) could be the RAM (tips about some RAM testing tool?)
b) could be some programs which is writing in that portion of memory, see:

On 30 March 2013 15:19, John Wiegley <johnw <at> fpcomplete.com> wrote:

> I know it's a bit difficult to debug this way, I can try debugging with gdb
> if it can help.

Yes, can you show us a backtrace from gdb, and also look in your CrashReports
log folder to see if it gives a bit more information on the state of the
process at the time it died?

John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting
http://fpcomplete.com               johnw on #haskell/irc.freenode.net

Tobias Müller | 31 Mar 17:51 2013
Picon

Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Fair enough :)
> Here is the gdb output:
>
> (gdb) run Starting program:
> /Users/adinapoli/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.2/bin/threadscope Reading
> symbols for shared libraries
> ++++++++++++++++++.......................................................................................................................................................................
> done Reading symbols for shared libraries . done Reading symbols for
> shared libraries . done Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory. Reason:
> KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

That's a NULL-pointer exception.

> I have two hypothesis:
>
> a) could be the RAM (tips about some RAM testing tool?)
> b) could be some programs which is writing in that portion of memory

Definitely an application error. NULL is never a valid memory address.
Missing NULL-pointer checks are a very common error source in low level
programming.

What do you mean by _some_ program? It's the program that you started
(threadscope).

Tobi
Alfredo Di Napoli | 31 Mar 20:32 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Hi Tobias,

> What do you mean by _some_ program? It's the program that you started
> (threadscope).

In a forum I've read that this error could be some third party app (for example one started at login or running
as a daemon) which is conflicting and causing the error.
Unlikely, but i've reported the possibility for completeness.

Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?

Thanks,
A.
Dominic Steinitz | 1 Apr 09:01 2013

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.
Edsko de Vries | 3 Apr 13:40 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

I provide a ThreadScope binary on my site (http://www.edsko.net/2013/01/24/threadscope-0-2-2/) which runs fine for me on 10.8.3.

-E

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.
Dominic Steinitz | 3 Apr 17:03 2013

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Cool! Works for me. Many thanks, Dominic

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.
Alfredo Di Napoli | 3 Apr 22:33 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Thanks Edsko, the app is awesome and it's starting just fine.
Even though this fixes my problem, it doesn't solve the root, namely why it was failing.

Can you tell me a bit more about the dark magic you used to make it work?
Which GHC version did you use?

Thanks a lot,
A.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.
Edsko de Vries | 4 Apr 09:52 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Hi Alfredo,

No dark magic as far as I recall (except in the actual bundling as a Mac app, unfortunately that required some magic, the GTK libraries don't relocate so easily :-( ). I didn't have any problems building. I compiled it with ghc 7.6.1, with the GTK libraries installed manually (there are some suggestions on how to do that at the very end of my Comprehensive Haskell Sandboxes post, http://www.edsko.net/2013/02/10/comprehensive-haskell-sandboxes/). It used to be a lot more painful (requiring the latest versions of Haskell libraries, with patches etc.) but these days the situation is a lot better. (That's not so say that problems like the one you reported don't still crop up from time to time, and can cause many a sleepless night..).

Edsko

Thanks Edsko, the app is awesome and it's starting just fine.
Even though this fixes my problem, it doesn't solve the root, namely why it was failing.

Can you tell me a bit more about the dark magic you used to make it work?
Which GHC version did you use?

Thanks a lot,
A.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.
Alfredo Di Napoli | 4 Apr 10:07 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Hi Edsko, thanks for the reply.
The only things that might affect the outcome are:

a) Ghc version: I'm running ghc 7.6.2 instead of 7.6.1
b) Don't know if you are using cabal-dev as sandboxing (like any good Haskell programmer I'm too lazy to open your blog post :D ), whilst I'm using hsenv
c) I've brewed GTK instead of manually installing it, but gtk-demo runs just fine
d) Are you using XQuartz? If yes, which version?

Thanks again!
A.

No dark magic as far as I recall (except in the actual bundling as a Mac app, unfortunately that required some magic, the GTK libraries don't relocate so easily :-( ). I didn't have any problems building. I compiled it with ghc 7.6.1, with the GTK libraries installed manually (there are some suggestions on how to do that at the very end of my Comprehensive Haskell Sandboxes post, http://www.edsko.net/2013/02/10/comprehensive-haskell-sandboxes/). It used to be a lot more painful (requiring the latest versions of Haskell libraries, with patches etc.) but these days the situation is a lot better. (That's not so say that problems like the one you reported don't still crop up from time to time, and can cause many a sleepless night..).

Edsko

Thanks Edsko, the app is awesome and it's starting just fine.
Even though this fixes my problem, it doesn't solve the root, namely why it was failing.

Can you tell me a bit more about the dark magic you used to make it work?
Which GHC version did you use?

Thanks a lot,
A.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.

Edsko de Vries | 4 Apr 10:12 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

a) 7.6.2 vs 7.6.1 seems unlike to be the issue, although theoretically possible I guess.
b) Actually, the blog post is how to set things up by hand for better control than either of those tools give you; but again, I don't think it's relevant.
c) This might be a bigger difference. I don't know what version brew installs, where it installs it, etc. etc.
d) And this might be related too; yes, I'm using XQuartz and have the GTK compiled for it; currently using 2.7.4 but I don't know if I upgraded since building.

-E

The only things that might affect the outcome are:

a) Ghc version: I'm running ghc 7.6.2 instead of 7.6.1
b) Don't know if you are using cabal-dev as sandboxing (like any good Haskell programmer I'm too lazy to open your blog post :D ), whilst I'm using hsenv
c) I've brewed GTK instead of manually installing it, but gtk-demo runs just fine
d) Are you using XQuartz? If yes, which version?

Thanks again!
A.

No dark magic as far as I recall (except in the actual bundling as a Mac app, unfortunately that required some magic, the GTK libraries don't relocate so easily :-( ). I didn't have any problems building. I compiled it with ghc 7.6.1, with the GTK libraries installed manually (there are some suggestions on how to do that at the very end of my Comprehensive Haskell Sandboxes post, http://www.edsko.net/2013/02/10/comprehensive-haskell-sandboxes/). It used to be a lot more painful (requiring the latest versions of Haskell libraries, with patches etc.) but these days the situation is a lot better. (That's not so say that problems like the one you reported don't still crop up from time to time, and can cause many a sleepless night..).

Edsko

Thanks Edsko, the app is awesome and it's starting just fine.
Even though this fixes my problem, it doesn't solve the root, namely why it was failing.

Can you tell me a bit more about the dark magic you used to make it work?
Which GHC version did you use?

Thanks a lot,
A.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Dominic Steinitz <dominic <at> steinitz.org> wrote:
Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Said that,has someone had any luck in running Threadscope on Mac OS X 10.8 at all?
>
> Thanks,
> A.

I think I have encountered the same problem:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/parallel-haskell/-lhrgNN8elw/KzqLM9BzoJwJ

In my experience, anything that uses gtk is a problem on a MAC.

I still intend to do some analysis *not* using threadscope but using event-logs directly
but that is at least a few weeks away.

Dominic.

Alfredo Di Napoli | 4 Apr 10:16 2013
Picon

Re: Threadscope 0.2.2 goes in segmentation fault on Mac Os X 10.8.3

Perfect, I will try to probe the ground for points c) and d), and I will get back to all of you if I manage to shed some light to this mystery :D

A.