Ketil Malde | 4 Apr 13:35 2013

Possible GSoC project

Hi,

I proposed a bioinformatics GSoC project involving Haskell using OSC as
the mentoring organization.  Typically, haskell.org projects concern
infrastructure rather than applications, and I don't know if I'm allowed
to submit both places :-)

Anyway, as this is a likely place to find prospective students and
(co-)mentors, I thought I'd mention it here.

But if anybody is interested, I think it makes for a quite focused,
solvable problem, which I belive would be quite useful.  It could also
likely result in a scientific publication of some sort.

A quick writeup (that I'll probably update) is here:

  http://biohaskell.org/Google_Summer_of_Code#optimizing-transalign

-k

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 4 Apr 16:20 2013
Picon

Re: Possible GSoC project

On 04/04/13 12:35, Ketil Malde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I proposed a bioinformatics GSoC project involving Haskell using
> OSC as the mentoring organization.  Typically, haskell.org projects
> concern infrastructure rather than applications, and I don't know
> if I'm allowed to submit both places :-)
>
> Anyway, as this is a likely place to find prospective students and
> (co-)mentors, I thought I'd mention it here.
>
> But if anybody is interested, I think it makes for a quite
> focused, solvable problem, which I belive would be quite useful.
> It could also likely result in a scientific publication of some
> sort.
>
> A quick writeup (that I'll probably update) is here:
>
> http://biohaskell.org/Google_Summer_of_Code#optimizing-transalign
>
> -k

What would you say is the level of bioinformatics understanding that
one would have to have to even consider applying?

Mateusz K.
(Continue reading)

Ketil Malde | 4 Apr 17:03 2013

Re: Possible GSoC project

Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk>  wrote:

>What would you say is the level of bioinformatics understanding that
>one would have to have to even consider applying?

Not very much, some knowledge of string edit distance and dynamic programming would be good, but if not,
it's something I can straighten out with a student in an afternoon, I think.

-k

De profundis ad te clamo.
Kim-Ee Yeoh | 4 Apr 21:41 2013

Re: Possible GSoC project

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Ketil Malde <ketil <at> malde.org> wrote:
> Not very much, some knowledge of string edit distance and dynamic programming would be good, but if not,
it's something I can straighten out with a student in an afternoon, I think.

Just a suggestion:

People love quizzes and brain teasers. (Remember those google billboards?)

If you could blog briefly (expository-style) about this with links to
further reading, and more importantly, include "challenges" in the
bottom-half, I bet you could get some buzz circulating. Especially if
you manage those all-important bragging rights!

-- Kim-Ee

Gmane