Andrés Sicard-Ramírez | 7 Apr 05:34 2013
Picon

Compilers book in Haskell

Juan, te puede interesar

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Sergey Bushnyak <sergey.bushnyak <at> sigrlami.eu> wrote:
I will recommend you book "Modern Compiler Design" by Dick Grune and others.
Besides discussing different topics, authors use Haskell as example for describing ideas behind compilers for functional language.

--
Andrés
Sergey Bushnyak | 7 Apr 10:36 2013

Re: Compilers book in Haskell

Books about compilers is rare artifact, in comparison to some technology
books. It is uncommon to see topics on compilers for functional languages.

I was surprised, when saw it in "Modern Compiler Design", which I've
mentioned earlier. "Compiler design" series from Springer maybe reveal
topics on FL in future as it become more popular. In new books about 1/5
of it is about FL, but very basic stuff.

Кnowledge mostly lies in research papers, occasional articles like "The
Glasgow Haskell Compiler"[1] in AOSA from creators, and source code :)

[1] http://www.aosabook.org/en/ghc.html

Best regards,
Sergey Bushnyak

Kristopher Micinski | 7 Apr 16:40 2013
Picon

Re: Compilers book in Haskell

I disagree about the recommendation for Modern Compiler Design: I
found it to be a pretty good introduction to compiler technology, but
not functional programming with compilers, it's coverage was *very*
shallow.

By contrast, I can recommend both Compiling with Continuations (the
"standard" text on implementing compilers in functional languages,
using ML as an example), and The Implementation of Functional
Programming Languages [2].

This topic is covered pretty well in course material scattered
throughout the web, (lots of course with online pdf sets about
implementing functional compilers), but not in a comprehensive fashion
that talks about more complex aspects of compiling functional
languages.  Implementing Functional Langauges: a tutorial, is also
excellent and worth a look.

kris

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Compiling-Continuations-Andrew-W-Appel/dp/052103311X
[2] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm
[3] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Sergey Bushnyak
<sergey.bushnyak <at> sigrlami.eu> wrote:
> Books about compilers is rare artifact, in comparison to some technology
> books. It is uncommon to see topics on compilers for functional languages.
>
> I was surprised, when saw it in "Modern Compiler Design", which I've
> mentioned earlier. "Compiler design" series from Springer maybe reveal
> topics on FL in future as it become more popular. In new books about 1/5 of
> it is about FL, but very basic stuff.
>
> Кnowledge mostly lies in research papers, occasional articles like "The
> Glasgow Haskell Compiler"[1] in AOSA from creators, and source code :)
>

> [1] http://www.aosabook.org/en/ghc.html
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Sergey Bushnyak

Tommy Thorn | 8 Apr 03:00 2013
Picon

Re: Compilers book in Haskell

You beat me to it although I'd reverse the order of your list.

Also I wouldn't ignore the classic,
http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Tools-Edition/dp/0321486811
but know that it has next to nothing useful specific to FP languages,
and certainly not lazy languages.

Tommy

On Apr 7, 2013, at 07:40 , Kristopher Micinski <krismicinski <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree about the recommendation for Modern Compiler Design: I
> found it to be a pretty good introduction to compiler technology, but
> not functional programming with compilers, it's coverage was *very*
> shallow.
>
> By contrast, I can recommend both Compiling with Continuations (the
> "standard" text on implementing compilers in functional languages,
> using ML as an example), and The Implementation of Functional
> Programming Languages [2].
>
> This topic is covered pretty well in course material scattered
> throughout the web, (lots of course with online pdf sets about
> implementing functional compilers), but not in a comprehensive fashion
> that talks about more complex aspects of compiling functional
> languages.  Implementing Functional Langauges: a tutorial, is also
> excellent and worth a look.
>
> kris
>
> [1] http://www.amazon.com/Compiling-Continuations-Andrew-W-Appel/dp/052103311X
> [2] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm
> [3] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Sergey Bushnyak
> <sergey.bushnyak <at> sigrlami.eu> wrote:
>> Books about compilers is rare artifact, in comparison to some technology
>> books. It is uncommon to see topics on compilers for functional languages.
>>
>> I was surprised, when saw it in "Modern Compiler Design", which I've
>> mentioned earlier. "Compiler design" series from Springer maybe reveal
>> topics on FL in future as it become more popular. In new books about 1/5 of
>> it is about FL, but very basic stuff.
>>
>> Кnowledge mostly lies in research papers, occasional articles like "The
>> Glasgow Haskell Compiler"[1] in AOSA from creators, and source code :)
>>

>> [1] http://www.aosabook.org/en/ghc.html
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Sergey Bushnyak

Kristopher Micinski | 8 Apr 03:12 2013
Picon

Re: Compilers book in Haskell

A swapped order probably appeals to most haskellers (by contrast I
first learned ML).  The real difference is that the Haskell books will
focus on lazy languages.  If your tastes are in implementing fast lazy
languages using graph reduction then you may also be interested in
[1]: although I haven't read all of it.  I would say that the material
in Appel's books and SPJ's books is fairly disjoint, and if you're
interested in Haskell you should definitely focus on those.  (However,
Appel's book is also worth browsing if you're at a library, it can be
read fairly quickly, the main "cool concepts" are in chapter two!)

Kris

[1] http://wiki.clean.cs.ru.nl/Functional_Programming_and_Parallel_Graph_Rewriting

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Tommy Thorn <tt1729 <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> You beat me to it although I'd reverse the order of your list.
>
> Also I wouldn't ignore the classic,
> http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Tools-Edition/dp/0321486811
> but know that it has next to nothing useful specific to FP languages,
> and certainly not lazy languages.
>
> Tommy
>
> On Apr 7, 2013, at 07:40 , Kristopher Micinski <krismicinski <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I disagree about the recommendation for Modern Compiler Design: I
>> found it to be a pretty good introduction to compiler technology, but
>> not functional programming with compilers, it's coverage was *very*
>> shallow.
>>
>> By contrast, I can recommend both Compiling with Continuations (the
>> "standard" text on implementing compilers in functional languages,
>> using ML as an example), and The Implementation of Functional
>> Programming Languages [2].
>>
>> This topic is covered pretty well in course material scattered
>> throughout the web, (lots of course with online pdf sets about
>> implementing functional compilers), but not in a comprehensive fashion
>> that talks about more complex aspects of compiling functional
>> languages.  Implementing Functional Langauges: a tutorial, is also
>> excellent and worth a look.
>>
>> kris
>>
>> [1] http://www.amazon.com/Compiling-Continuations-Andrew-W-Appel/dp/052103311X
>> [2] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm
>> [3] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Sergey Bushnyak
>> <sergey.bushnyak <at> sigrlami.eu> wrote:
>>> Books about compilers is rare artifact, in comparison to some technology
>>> books. It is uncommon to see topics on compilers for functional languages.
>>>
>>> I was surprised, when saw it in "Modern Compiler Design", which I've
>>> mentioned earlier. "Compiler design" series from Springer maybe reveal
>>> topics on FL in future as it become more popular. In new books about 1/5 of
>>> it is about FL, but very basic stuff.
>>>
>>> Кnowledge mostly lies in research papers, occasional articles like "The
>>> Glasgow Haskell Compiler"[1] in AOSA from creators, and source code :)
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.aosabook.org/en/ghc.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sergey Bushnyak

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez | 7 Apr 16:03 2013
Picon

Re: Compilers book in Haskell

I will recommend you book "Modern Compiler Design" by Dick Grune and others.
Besides discussing different topics, authors use Haskell as example for describing ideas behind compilers for functional language.

Sorry for the spam. The above email should not be sent to haskell-cafe.

--
Andrés