Daniel Díaz Casanueva | 13 Apr 06:19 2013
Picon

Building the Haskell Platform in Linux

Hi cafe!

Probably you all know how to do this, but I myself found confused when building the Haskell Platform in Linux for my first time. I was using Linux for my first time too! The first problem I encountered was to decide what linux packages install to make the ./configure successful in both GHC binary distribution and the Haskell Platform. So I collected the names of the minimum set of packages that you need to have installed before starting with GHC and the Platform in a small blog post:

http://deltadiaz.blogspot.com/2013/04/haskell-platform-from-source-in-linux.html

If I would have to start all over again, forgetting what I have learned so far, I would fine this list very useful! This thought is what brought me here to make it public. Who knows, maybe I am saving somebody of some google searches and trials and errors.

With my best intentions,
Daniel Díaz.

--
E-mail sent by Daniel Díaz Casanueva

let f x = x in x
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Albert Y. C. Lai | 15 Apr 00:54 2013
Picon

Re: Building the Haskell Platform in Linux

On 13-04-13 12:19 AM, Daniel Díaz Casanueva wrote:
> Hi cafe!
>
> Probably you all know how to do this, but I myself found confused when
> building the Haskell Platform in Linux for my first time. I was using
> Linux for my first time too! The first problem I encountered was to
> decide what linux packages install to make the ./configure successful in
> both GHC binary distribution and the Haskell Platform. So I collected
> the names of the minimum set of packages that you need to have installed
> before starting with GHC and the Platform in a small blog post:
>
> http://deltadiaz.blogspot.com/2013/04/haskell-platform-from-source-in-linux.html

Shameless plug: also my
http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/haskell-platform.xhtml
and it will be yet updated again next version.

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Daniel Díaz Casanueva | 15 Apr 02:12 2013
Picon

Re: Building the Haskell Platform in Linux

Hello Albert!

Oh! I didn't find that one when searching for info! That would have helped me a lot!

By the way, a random question, what's the memory of the computer you used to build the Platform?


On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla <at> vex.net> wrote:
On 13-04-13 12:19 AM, Daniel Díaz Casanueva wrote:
Hi cafe!

Probably you all know how to do this, but I myself found confused when
building the Haskell Platform in Linux for my first time. I was using
Linux for my first time too! The first problem I encountered was to
decide what linux packages install to make the ./configure successful in
both GHC binary distribution and the Haskell Platform. So I collected
the names of the minimum set of packages that you need to have installed
before starting with GHC and the Platform in a small blog post:

http://deltadiaz.blogspot.com/2013/04/haskell-platform-from-source-in-linux.html

Shameless plug: also my
http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/haskell-platform.xhtml
and it will be yet updated again next version.


_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe



--
E-mail sent by Daniel Díaz Casanueva

let f x = x in x
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Albert Y. C. Lai | 15 Apr 04:08 2013
Picon

Re: Building the Haskell Platform in Linux

On 13-04-14 08:12 PM, Daniel Díaz Casanueva wrote:
> By the way, a random question, what's the memory of the computer you
> used to build the Platform?

I have always used my laptop with 3GB RAM. I have not measured how much 
is actually needed, or what happens if I provide less.

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Gmane