Bastien Jacot-Guillarmod | 21 Apr 23:57 2013
Picon

Yi Google summer of code project

Hello,

I'm interested in doing some improvments on the Yi editor for my Google
summer of code by implementing a completion pop up list for any buffer and a
smart completion for haskell.

But I don't really know if this kind of project could be acceptable, for the
following reason:

1) Should a GSoC project be mostly a working experience or also a learning
one? I am not the most seasoned haskell programmer, but I really which to
dive into a real-life project in this language.

2) Is it too long, too small? I don't have too many years of programmation
in haskell behind me even if I have done some functionnal programming in
other languages (Scala most of the time), hence I don't want to take
something that will be overwhelming.

3) is Yi associated with haskell.org or it is not possible to have a project
on Yi while being mentored by haskell?

Thanks for your insight!

Regards,
Bastien Jacot-Guillarmod, 3rd CS bachelor student at EPFL (Lausanne)

Gmail | 22 Apr 20:12 2013
Picon

Re: Yi Google summer of code project

Hello again,

I forgot to ask if I need to find myself a mentor or one will be
assigned to me by haskell.org?

Many thanks,

Bastien

On 4/21/13 5:57 PM, Bastien Jacot-Guillarmod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in doing some improvments on the Yi editor for my Google
> summer of code by implementing a completion pop up list for any buffer and a
> smart completion for haskell.
>
> But I don't really know if this kind of project could be acceptable, for the
> following reason:
>
> 1) Should a GSoC project be mostly a working experience or also a learning
> one? I am not the most seasoned haskell programmer, but I really which to
> dive into a real-life project in this language.
>
> 2) Is it too long, too small? I don't have too many years of programmation
> in haskell behind me even if I have done some functionnal programming in
> other languages (Scala most of the time), hence I don't want to take
> something that will be overwhelming.
>
> 3) is Yi associated with haskell.org or it is not possible to have a project
> on Yi while being mentored by haskell?
(Continue reading)

Brent Yorgey | 23 Apr 18:03 2013

Re: Yi Google summer of code project

Generally, for a successful proposal you need to already find someone
who is willing to mentor the project.

Honestly, I do not think working on Yi would make for a very strong
proposal.  It is definitely a cool piece of software, and definitely
worth working on, but it does not have a very large userbase and so
the benefit of this project to the Haskell community would be small.

-Brent