Christopher Howard | 30 Apr 04:05 2013

ghc-7 -fPIC error

Hey guys, this probably isn't the official GHC mailing list, but I've
been trying to build and install a new GHC on an old RHEL5 system, as
mentioned in my previous Cafe thread. I was able to make some good
headway: I installed a ghc-6.8 binary, and then used that to build
ghc-6.10 source, and then used that to build ghc-6.12 source. The idea
is to keep going until I get to ghc-7.6.

However, when I get to 7.0, my builds all eventually die with this error:

quote:
--------
/usr/bin/ld: rts/dist/build/RtsStartup.dyn_o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32
against `StgRun' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--------

After this failed the first time, I tried adding -fPIC to SRC_HC_OPTS,
GhcStage1HcOpts, and so forth in build.mk. But ultimately I get the same
error.

I tried skipping a version and building ghc-7.2 instead, but the same
error pops up.

frigidcode.com

(Continue reading)

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 30 Apr 14:15 2013
Picon

Re: ghc-7 -fPIC error

On 30/04/13 03:05, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hey guys, this probably isn't the official GHC mailing list, but
> I've been trying to build and install a new GHC on an old RHEL5
> system, as mentioned in my previous Cafe thread. I was able to make
> some good headway: I installed a ghc-6.8 binary, and then used that
> to build ghc-6.10 source, and then used that to build ghc-6.12
> source. The idea is to keep going until I get to ghc-7.6.
>
> However, when I get to 7.0, my builds all eventually die with this
> error:
>
> quote: -------- /usr/bin/ld: rts/dist/build/RtsStartup.dyn_o:
> relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `StgRun' can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC /usr/bin/ld: final
> link failed: Bad value collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> --------
>
> After this failed the first time, I tried adding -fPIC to
> SRC_HC_OPTS, GhcStage1HcOpts, and so forth in build.mk. But
> ultimately I get the same error.
>
> I tried skipping a version and building ghc-7.2 instead, but the
> same error pops up.

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki | 30 Apr 15:47 2013
Picon

Re: ghc-7 -fPIC error

Hello,

please see this thread which I think is about the same issue you are
seeing: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2012-June/102023.html

In short, this is apparently caused by broken GCC. The solution is to
use build.mk with disable optimizations or download from
http://justhub.org/download which packages GHC for RHEL/CentOS/...

GhcLibWays = v
SRC_HC_OPTS        = -H64m -O0 -fasm    # -O -H64m
GhcStage1HcOpts    = -O -fasm
GhcStage2HcOpts    = -O0 -fasm          # -O2 -fasm
GhcLibHcOpts       = -O -fasm           # -O2 -XGenerics
GhcHcOpts          = -Rghc-timing
# GhcLibWays      += p
# GhcLibWays      += dyn
NoFibWays          =
STRIP_CMD          = :

Also cc-ing Chris Dornan of justhub.org.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Skrzętnicki