Ertugrul Söylemez | 1 May 06:56 2013
Picon

remote-build-reporting: cabal phoning home?!

Hello there,

could somebody please shed some light on the following line that
appeared in my ~/.cabal/config?

    remote-build-reporting: anonymous

The option doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, and I'm very nervous
about undocumented "remote reporting" features.  I expect cabal-install
to communicate only to fetch the latest package index and to upload and
download packages, the former only when i actually use the "upload"
command.

If it performs any other communication, please tell me how to disable
it.  In that case I'd also be interested in an explanation for why this
was enabled in the first place.  I certainly didn't enable it myself,
because it would be a serious security breach in my case.

Thank you.

Greets,
Ertugrul

Scott Lawrence | 1 May 09:39 2013
Picon

Re: remote-build-reporting: cabal phoning home?!

Hello,

I think (and a quick reading of source seems to bear this out) that that only
happens when you run "cabal report". Which isn't quite undocumented - see
"cabal report --help".

On Wed, 1 May 2013, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> could somebody please shed some light on the following line that
> appeared in my ~/.cabal/config?
>
>    remote-build-reporting: anonymous
>
> The option doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, and I'm very nervous
> about undocumented "remote reporting" features.  I expect cabal-install
> to communicate only to fetch the latest package index and to upload and
> download packages, the former only when i actually use the "upload"
> command.
>
> If it performs any other communication, please tell me how to disable
> it.  In that case I'd also be interested in an explanation for why this
> was enabled in the first place.  I certainly didn't enable it myself,
> because it would be a serious security breach in my case.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Greets,
(Continue reading)

Ertugrul Söylemez | 2 May 11:30 2013

Scott Lawrence <bytbox <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I think (and a quick reading of source seems to bear this out) that
> that only happens when you run "cabal report". Which isn't quite
> undocumented - see "cabal report --help".

That's reassuring.  Thanks a lot!

Greets,
Ertugrul

Key-ID: E5DD8D11 "Ertugrul Soeylemez <es <at> ertes.de>"
FPrint: BD28 3E3F BE63 BADD 4157  9134 D56A 37FA E5DD 8D11
Keysrv: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/